Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 cadillac seville
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice, every morning when i start my car, or when i haven't started my car for a couple of days, my car has a monsterous rattle/engine knock type thing for a few seconds... is this something to worry about? or any idea what could be causing it?

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
I need some advice, every morning when i start my car, or when i haven't started my car for a couple of days, my car has a monsterous rattle/engine knock type thing for a few seconds... is this something to worry about? or any idea what could be causing it?
i had this problem maybe after about 20k of owning it not sure what it was but i know it didnt bug me mouch and it was only when it was cold
so it might just be wear or not properly maintianed but im sure there are others who would know more
might have to do with something simple as the oil in it

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,951 Posts
What you are experiencing is called piston slap aka "cold carbon rap". There is a carbon build up on the head from granny driving. The piston hits it, causing it to rock on the wrist pin and the skirt "slaps" the cylinder wall. The repair is simple (and fun). Take it out and drive it like you stole it. Go to the Technical Archives at the top left of the forum page and read up on "Full Throttle Acceleration" as well as "Oil Consumption".

·
Registered
1998 Seville SLS
39 Posts
My Seville sits in the garage but when i start it when its cold it shakes at first and after like a minute it goes away. I hear that it is typical for a N* to knock while running. It sounds like a tapping noise, and thats all the time

·
Registered
not anymore 2007 Lexus ES350
7,705 Posts
i dont think its typical or normal. for the nock but i may be wrong
i know my Engine with 6k on it has no knock what so ever when starting up i start it and it is so quiet except for a few times when it has a studer wich im trying to figure out but only 3 times in the last 2 months have i felt it but no trouble codes but anyways atleast in my 2000 sls the engine starts right up has not stalled out ones no nock no sounds i start it up in the garage and its quiet if i pull it out of hte garage and its not sarounded by walls then you can even her it run
so i dont think this is normal for it to knock

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,951 Posts
My Seville sits in the garage but when i start it when its cold it shakes at first and after like a minute it goes away. I hear that it is typical for a N* to knock while running. It sounds like a tapping noise, and thats all the time
Don't know where you heard that, but it is not normal at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts