Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
99 Deville, 06 DTS Performance
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So usually I will change the oil myself because i find it a tad theraputic :yup: but anyways, I was out of town and it was time to change it but I was about miles from home, so I decided to pull into this well known chain of lube places in the tx area and figured what the hey. My first mistake was going in about 20 mins till closing time, but anyways they did their thing and I was on my way, made the trip home fine and thought nothing of it. Four days later I took the car out to give it its weekly wash and I notice that ever dreaded dark stain under where the engine was. Goody...I started to panic and looked under the car to see the source...the oil was dripping off the oil filter. I grabbed it and the damn thing came off in my hand. :mad2:

My conclusion:
It was closing time and I was the last car so they were hurrying to get out, he slapped on the filter and screwed it on by hand without using the belt wrench...it managed to vibrate loose during the drive back. Only good thing was it didn't come off while I was driving, I can't wait to go back to them while im in the area and have a talk with them.

·
Registered
N/A
1,103 Posts
That sucks to hear, but you don't really 'need' to use a filter wrench as long as the filter is snug its more than adequate. If you use a filter wrench and are not careful your more likely to destroy the filter from overtorquing it. I've seen more issues because of overtightened oil filters than I'd care to remember.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
That definitley sucks, and it is a good thing that you got to it, before the filter came off. That would have been really expensive. But I myself never use a filter wrench. I spin the filter on until it makes contact, and then another 3/4 turn by hand. The oil change guy probably just got it to make contact, and forgot to give it that last 3/4 turn. It is stories like that that has kept me maintaining my car myself. Noone touches my car but me. Unless it is just something that I cannot do. But that hasn't been the case for a very long time.

Don

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
Thanks for the confidence booster lol. I live in Texas and am getting my oil changed tomorrow. I usually give it a quick look after they are done to make sure noting is way out of place , and to make sure I got a new oil filter,

Glad you caught the mistake in time

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Man, where do you guys get your oil changed? You have to check to make sure they put a new filter in?! Sounds like you've gotta start lookin' somewhere else for your work.

·
Registered
'04 Base Deville, Light Platinum - blew HG & SOLD
164 Posts
yeah, you have to watch those guys.
I had one car they forgot to put my oil cap back on.
The low oil indicator came on.
Fortionately, no problems resulted.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,982 Posts
WOW! That was close. Hand tight is plenty, they never even went THAT far. Go buy a lottery ticket.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
So usually I will change the oil myself because i find it a tad theraputic :yup: but anyways, I was out of town and it was time to change it but I was about miles from home, so I decided to pull into this well known chain of lube places in the tx area and figured what the hey. My first mistake was going in about 20 mins till closing time, but anyways they did their thing and I was on my way, made the trip home fine and thought nothing of it. Four days later I took the car out to give it its weekly wash and I notice that ever dreaded dark stain under where the engine was. Goody...I started to panic and looked under the car to see the source...the oil was dripping off the oil filter. I grabbed it and the damn thing came off in my hand. :mad2:

My conclusion:
It was closing time and I was the last car so they were hurrying to get out, he slapped on the filter and screwed it on by hand without using the belt wrench...it managed to vibrate loose during the drive back. Only good thing was it didn't come off while I was driving, I can't wait to go back to them while im in the area and have a talk with them.
Sad part is it probably won't make a difference at the oil place.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
I always put it on with a wrench, I just don't overtighten it. I turn it 3/4 turn past contact with the wrench. I have had some cars that had crappy filter locations and turning it at all by hand was difficult so I just got in the habit of using the wrench since it is there anyway from the removal. I am sure some people could overtighten it by hand if they really tried. Common sense is the key to most everything. Also remember to put the wrench on as close to the thread end as possible to avoid crushing the filter, this goes for on and off.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
Haha, Just got my oil changed. They got me in immediately, Got my car lifted up and drained my oil in just a few mins. Then realized they didnt have any oil filters that fit, So it ended up taking about 1.5 hours to get it done. I saw 2 full episodes of "McGyver"and most of "Murder she wrote" :bigroll:

If they had checked before they started I would have just gone somewhere else. However I did get to see them try to convince a lady to get her engine flushed and then engine cleaner added each oil change, For only 10 or 20$ more each time, They never tried to convince me though, maybe it was because they saw me take the 2 bottles of seafoam from the front seat and toss it in the trunk :)

The one nice thing they did do was reset the OLM for me, nice to see they knew about that little "secret"

·
Registered
1992 Sedan DeVille
35 Posts
That's almost as bad as the ones in FL that changed my filter, and added more oil to my Honda without draining it. They wondered why I was calling and almost screaming because my motor pretty much blew apart five miles away.

I always do everything I can myself now, much easier, and more fun.

Good luck with arguing with them, they love to try to weasel out of any liability from faulty work.

·
Super Moderator
86,982 Posts
They got me in immediately, Got my car lifted up and drained my oil in just a few mins. Then realized they didnt have any oil filters that fit, So it ended up taking about 1.5 hours to get it done.
And they did not compensate you?

However I did get to see them try to convince a lady to get her engine flushed and then engine cleaner added each oil change, For only 10 or 20$ more each time,
Did she bite?

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
Reminds me of the time i took one of my cars to a goodyear oil change center for an oil change.They had a lineup of cars to work on after mine so they hurried the job.Next morning there`s 3 foot diameter puddle of oil under the car---i checked the dipstick and found there`s enough oil to get back to goodyear safely.They put it on the hoist AND I`M RIGHT THERE WATCHING THE MECHANIC.The oil pan drain plug fell off in his hands---must have just been hanging on by a thread or two.He never tightened it properly in the first place.
Long story short,they gave me a free oil change certificate for the next change---but now I PHYSICALLY WATCH THEM DO THE JOB.

I changed my own oil on every car i`ve ever owned since i was 18---i`m 48 now and with more responsibilities and less time to do it myself,i`ve given in to any reputable oil change facilty THAT LETS THE CUSTOMER SIT IN THE VEHICLE WHILE THE OIL CHANGE IS BEING DONE,NO HOISTS INVOLVED AT ALL.That way i can watch in detail what goes on.
It cost a little more,but they have a collection bin for used oil to be disposed of properly right on site--one less messy job i don`t have to do.
When they work on my Caddy Deville,i really watch closely.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
And they did not compensate you?
Nope, The more i thought about it I really figure they should have too, I will just try a new place next time, or just do it myself if the weather is better. After my 5$ returning customer sticker it still totaled 26$ for 5qts of regular castrol, Seems a bit high to me

Did she bite?

She said she had been thinking about it, but didnt have the money at the time to do so, She was apologetic for letting her car go past 3000 miles without coming in for a change and they said "dont worry, get it flushed next time and you should be fine" I was laughing on the inside because i was at 3200 or so miles since my last change and wasnt worried a bit, Was at about 6% on the OLM.. She had a relatively new chevy and was so worried about it all. She told them that she was going to do it next time.

I imagine I accomplished as much as their 10-20$ flush with the 1/2 bottle of seafoam i put in the crankcase just before my drive up their and it cost me less then 6$ lol

I really expected them to comment on how crappy looking my oil was, Instead they told me i needed a trans flush and that my oil and transmission pans were leaking. Also recommenced I replace the spark plugs and pcv valve. The pcv valve being 2 months old and all :bigroll:

Needless to say I took a copy of thier "full tune up sheet" just for grins. The fee for a 8 cyl was like 250-300$ lol

I figure any work needed Ill do myself lol. And magically my tie rod end fixed itself, they made a big deal about it last time and didnt mention a word about it today. :bigroll:

·
Super Moderator
86,982 Posts
She said she had been thinking about it, but didnt have the money at the time to do so, She was apologetic for letting her car go past 3000 miles without coming in for a change and they said "dont worry, get it flushed next time and you should be fine" I was laughing on the inside because i was at 3200 or so miles since my last change and wasnt worried a bit, Was at about 6% on the OLM.. She had a relatively new chevy and was so worried about it all. She told them that she was going to do it next time.
I would have felt compelled to have a discrete talk with her.

·
Registered
'04 Base Deville, Light Platinum - blew HG & SOLD
164 Posts
Hey Ranger.

Off topic, but I've been meaning to ask you about that crossover leak you mentioned in another thread.

Was it something thats obvious, e.g. any visible leaks, low coolant, etc.

I would like to check my 04 before the warranty expires.

thanks,

jasper

·
Super Moderator
86,982 Posts
Just a very faint hint of coolant smell after shut down in the garage. I think I eventually saw a drip on the floor. Found coolant on the trans, under the EGR valve. I knew right away where it was coming from. Coolant level was falling, albeit, very very slowly. Almost unnoticeable unless you really watched it. Average person would not have seen it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
I change my oil myself cause it saves money and also the fact that I drain the crankcase for no less than 1 hr, usually 2-3. I get alot more oil out than the shops do, as they put the plug back in very soon after the gusher has slowed. It's not likely a gamebreaker, but as I'm taking out the old and putting in the new, I want to get out as much of the old as possible. The other benefit is I don't have to worry about drain plugs and filters being tightened properly - usually the problem is overtightening by the oil change places.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts