Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CTS4
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm driving home from work, traveling on I-93 North in New Hampshire, in my 2008 Cadillac CTS. Bumper to bumper traffic moving at about 75mph. The car in front of me swerves hard to the right and all of a sudden I hear a big "BANG!". A piece of metal (I think) from a large truck that was ahead of the car in front of me crashes into the right side of my front bumper. I pulled over and took a look at the front of my car. :want::want:

A big hole in the bumper and the air duct for the front brake is dislodged. I guess this is why I have insurance.

(Yeah, it's a bad picture! My car is actually crystal red metallic)

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
Yeah, that sucks! I had something similar happen to me in January. I had to replace the front deflecter, bent wheel, and blown tire.

·
Registered
2008 Black Cherry CTS4 - FE2, J55
205 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
I know it hurts to have that damage to your car, but it will get fixed. Thank the Lord you are ok; that's all that really matters.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,987 Posts
If you're doing 75MPH it's all the more reason to keep your distance. Those bastards still keep cutting in front of you when you try it don't they?

·
Registered
2017 XT5 and 2014 Corvette
1,183 Posts
That looks like about $1200 worth (assuming there is no damage that is not visible in the photo). Bumper cover - $517; lower cover (that lip that sticks out) - $155; about $500 for painting and labor.

·
Registered
2008 CTS Radiant Bronze, Performance Collection RWD
175 Posts
I had a similar problem at night on I-275 (MI) near Metro Airport. "Only" the rim and tire were damaged. $900 total repair cost.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I had an older V in here the other day, he ran over an "alligator" (retread) laying in the road.
Tore up the front bumper, broke the washer bottle and grille, busted the headlight, ripped the exhaust pipe off the right side, and pulled the rear bumper out. It also tore out most of the shielding under the car and one of the brake cooling ducts.
I think his estimate was around $3,000 parts and labor.

You might check your insurance policy. If you have a $500 deductible you would probably be better off paying it out of pocket and not even telling the insurance.
If you file a claim and then have to pay for it anyway you are just increasing your risk factor and probably upping your premium.
Just something to think about.
I have done that more than once. No point involving your insurance if they aren't going to pay anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts