Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the battery in my 1996 DeVille. This seemed to "fix" the recent starting problems. The car had been having a slow cranking rate--but would at least eventually start. However last night (the 2nd day after the new battery was installed and no problems until last night) the car would not start. It cranks and cranks and cranks but will not start. I let it sit all night and tried again today cranks and cranks and no start.

I got the following codes:
PC0603-Control Module Long Term Memory Reset
PC1599-Engine Stall or Near Stall
PC1552-Keep Alive Memory Error
I1910-Generator L Terminal Open Circuit
RS0038-Heated O2 Sensor HO2S Heater Circuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2

I figured that the 0603, 1552, 1910 errors were a result of changing out the battery. The 0038 error has been a hit and miss thing for the last 6months. The car has always seemed to start without difficulty.

I cleared the codes and replaced the negative ground wire (AC Delco OEM part) after reading in the forum here that it might help.
Then I got the following codes:
PC1552-As Above
RS0038-As Above
2255??-I did not see the code long enough to write it down--I do not find a 2255 code in the list from the various links.

My question is will a 0038 or 2255 error keep the car from starting? I'm open to any suggestions...

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Well if the battery is new, and the cables are new, you have to start looking elsewhere for your issues. When you keep cranking the car, its really putting a strain on the battery. Is the battery getting a good charge from the alternator? or maybe something is draining it when the car sits. It could be time fore new plugs and/or spark plug wires. Also there is a write up in the tech tips section on how to check and replace your fuel pressure regulator. If your fuel filter has never been changed it could be clogged and not getting fuel through. Lots of things to check, let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The plugs and wires are Rock Auto specials replaced about 6-12months ago.

I put a fuel injector pressure guage on the fuel rail and did not get any pressure. I am going to check the fuse and fuel pump relay. After that I guess I should look at the filter and pressure regulator.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

PS heated oxygen sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2--is that the driver side after the catalytic converter?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,996 Posts
I put a fuel injector pressure guage on the fuel rail and did not get any pressure.
This was with the key on I assume? Lengthy cranking would bypass the relay once oil pressure was built and it would start. I suspect your fuel pump has gone T/U ("Tango Uniform").

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I verified that the fuse is good. I was able to open and close the relay (removed from the car) with an external battery hook-up.

I'm afraid that you are correct. Off to get a fuel pump. I'm not looking forward to siphoning 20gallons of gas that was put in 2 days ago...

Where is the fuel injector pressure regulator?

Am I correct in the assumption about the heated o2 sensor--bank 1 sensor 2 is the driver side after the catlytic converter?

Thanks for the comments!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,996 Posts
FPR is the small canister on the duel rail with a vacuum hose attached to it. It won't cause a zero fuel pressure situation if it fails. If it goes bad, the internal diaphragm will leak fuel out of the nipple into the hose under pressure.

Bank 1 Sensor 2 should be pre-CAT on a '96 I believe. Aft-CAT would be Bank 1 Sensor 3.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
With the key in the on position you should be able to hear the high pitched whine of the fuel pump from the back of the car, if you don't hear it, its the fuel pump. Otherwise check the fpr and fuel injectors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, you guys are a huge help!

It was the fuel pump. I paid $195 labor plus $240 for the new pump. I tried to siphon the ~20gal of gas that was put in the tank the morning the pump failed. I guess that some kind of anti-siphon screen kept me from getting to the fuel. I did manage to get ~4feet of 1/4" tubing around all of the corners and into the filler pipe--but that was all the further it would go.

I could have rigged a jack platform to support the tank, but it was starting to get dark...

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

It's off to oxygen sensor land and I just noticed that the front break pads are about shot...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts