Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of 2 weeks now, when I hirt start, the starter attempts tto start the motor, but it fails, the starter is cranking the engine, I hear and feel it. Then after a few auto retries it stops. I turn everytrhing off, then attempt again and its on. Its been happening more and more, what could it be?

And the car is throwing error codes to the console on the security system

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
14 Posts
The old story is all about fire & fuel. If there's no reason to suspect fire (spark), think about fuel. Bad fuel injectors often throw codes. When was the fuel filter last changed? Ever have any stumbles when punching the throttle? Fuel Pump?

I'd say, 'Get all the codes read.'

The opposite path could lead to a crank position sensor not telling the computer that it's time to send a spark. V6?

·
Registered
2006 STS v8 AWD
22 Posts
Go buy some "Iso-Heet" fuel line antifreeze / water remover, Walmart or any parts stores, and dump a bottle in when you fill up. It sounds like condensation in the gas tank. The ethenol they are putting in gas is causing condensation in the gas tank durring cold weather. My 04 Maxima will not start without it during winter months.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, funny though, first time it happened the car was sitting for 2 days, and I tried starting it on a colder then normal evening (65 F)

·
Registered
05 STS
512 Posts
I don't think where you live matters...... bad gas is still bad gas. It just gets to be a bigger deal in colder climates when all the systems need to perform well to be efficient.

With ethanol moisture is suspended in the gas so yea there is more bad gas. B4 ethanol water would settle and be collected at the bottom of a gas station or distributors tank. Not now........ as my friends in the wholesale gas business tell me.

·
Registered
'05 STS4
668 Posts
Go buy some "Iso-Heet" fuel line antifreeze / water remover, Walmart or any parts stores, and dump a bottle in when you fill up. It sounds like condensation in the gas tank. The ethenol they are putting in gas is causing condensation in the gas tank durring cold weather. My 04 Maxima will not start without it during winter months.
Buying "Dri-Gas" today is a TOTAL waste of money.... I don't even know how they can still sell it! :(

When you fill your tank at the gas station, you're already getting over a gallon of "ISO HEAT" with every tankful ;)

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
14 Posts
Thinking this through, moisture could be part of the trouble. Is there any relationship to a heavy dew or high humidity.

·
Registered
2006 STS v8 AWD
22 Posts
Dry gas absolutly works, if I don't use it in cold weather my Maxima will not start, guarenteed. Listen, you have very little to loose, go buy a couple bottles and try it out, if it works then great, if not, you go from there. Sounds like a tell tail sign of water in your tank.

·
Registered
'05 STS4
668 Posts
Dry gas absolutly works, if I don't use it in cold weather my Maxima will not start, guarenteed. Listen, you have very little to loose, go buy a couple bottles and try it out, if it works then great, if not, you go from there. Sounds like a tell tail sign of water in your tank.
WOW,,,,,,,, OK, you do know that Dri-Gas is nothing more than anhydrous alcohol, and that's the Exact same thing they've added to gasoline as the oxygenator when MTBE was removed several years ago......

I can't imagine your $7.00 pint of that alcohol added to the 1-1/2gallons you just pumped-in could be really doing anything for you :ill:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts