Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 STS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the course of several years I've noticed the headlights and dash lights on our 2000 STS will dim during cruise conditions. I've also noticed it while following when my wife was driving. This is a noticable dimming that is like a "sigh" or a sag that lasts about a second or two. I've only managed to catch it once with the dash voltmeter and it was at 11.2 volts... it just isn't reacting fast enough. Normal operation is 14.0 - 14.5 volts. I didn't worry about it but since we're coming up on the end of our warranty (100K) I wanted to fix it if possible. I can't relate it to battery condition or any RPM except I haven't ever seen it during WOT. It may go for days without occurring and then occur several times during a short jaunt on the interstate.

Any help is appreciated.

Thx - Dan

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have a 2000 STS and it does the same thing, I have no idea why it does it though. At first it seemed like the A/C compressor turning on did it but i tried it with the A/C off and it still did it. My battery seems like its on the way out so that might be the problem too. Im going to replace it this week. I'll let you know if it goes away.

·
Registered
2000 STS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't hooked up a voltmeter but have only observed it on the DIC. Took it in for oil leaks last week and they found corrosion on the battery terminal and alternator terminals. Seems to have raised the cruise voltage to 14.5 - 14.7. Appears to drop out less now also.

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
687 Posts
I have a similar problem. Mine happens during downshifts. RPMs drop to 500 and lights dim. Havent a clue what it is though.

MacK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts