Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 XT5 AWD Luxury
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 coupe has about 11k miles. About 3 times in the last few months, and again yesterday, I had a weird transmission downshift happen when in sport mode.
I had just manually shifted it in sport mode and then let off in 5th at about 50mph and the trans slams down through each gear from 5th to first and I have to quickly move the lever out of sport mode.
I will definitely have to bring it to the dealer, but wondered if anyone else has had this happen?:confused:

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,268 Posts
Are you maintaining a constant speed and this happens or are you slowing down?

·
Registered
2009 CTS4
9 Posts
I don't know if what you're describing is what I'm thinking of, but there is apparently a "feature" of Sport Mode in the CTS that causes it to downshift and hold a lower gear (not 1st, though, I don't think) for up to 10 seconds in certain conditions with the assumption you're going to accelerate aggressively. I experienced this a few times and thought it was a transmission problem, then I Googled it and found links/articles saying it was normal. This "feature" (I'm using quotes because I think it's bad design) is evidently also shared with other GM cars, including the Pontiac G8. This surprised me unpleasantly the first time, and I don't find it useful so I just don't use Sport Mode now. In the 1st gen CTS, Sport Mode never did this when I used it, and I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,268 Posts
I don't know if what you're describing is what I'm thinking of, but there is apparently a "feature" of Sport Mode in the CTS that causes it to downshift and hold a lower gear (not 1st, though, I don't think) for up to 10 seconds in certain conditions with the assumption you're going to accelerate aggressively. I experienced this a few times and thought it was a transmission problem, then I Googled it and found links/articles saying it was normal. This "feature" (I'm using quotes because I think it's bad design) is evidently also shared with other GM cars, including the Pontiac G8. This surprised me unpleasantly the first time, and I don't find it useful so I just don't use Sport Mode now. In the 1st gen CTS, Sport Mode never did this when I used it, and I enjoyed it.
I love it. When used properly it is a blast.

I don't think this applies to the OP because he was in manual mode, not auto sport mode.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
263 Posts
I found this feature while carving a mountain road a few weeks ago. It downshifted and maintained a "sweet spot" gear while negotiating curves. I liked this very much. Since then I have had it happen in traffic for no apparent reason. This I did NOT like.

Shakey

----------

I love it. When used properly it is a blast.

I don't think this applies to the OP because he was in manual mode, not auto sport mode.
I think you are wrong. From the OP, it appears he was in "sport" mode, but NOT manual mode.

Shakey

·
Registered
15,268 Posts
It's how the algorithms are set. I use it when I enter the Eway on ramp. There is one particular cloverleaf on my way home with a short entrance onto the Eway, and I love to hammer it. I set up my transmission by slightly tapping the brakes and then I get on it just a little in the curve, then it is ready to go when I get in traffic. Yes, it sits in the low gear for a while when I get up to speed in traffic, but that is just how it works. You have to deal with it.

----------

...I had a weird transmission downshift happen when in sport mode. I had just manually shifted it in sport mode
I understand what you are saying, Shakey, but it can also be read as "I had just manually shifted it (read: rowing through the gears) while in sport mode". Yes, it was it sport mode as I quoted, but until we get the clarification we can banter back and forth! He said/she said, so to speak!!!

·
Registered
2009 CTS4
9 Posts
I found this feature while carving a mountain road a few weeks ago. It downshifted and maintained a "sweet spot" gear while negotiating curves. I liked this very much. Since then I have had it happen in traffic for no apparent reason. This I did NOT like.

Yeah - it was the seeming randmoness of it that I didn't enjoy. If it were more predictable - for me, anyway (maybe others can predict it) - I would try it out and I suppose it could be fun. But to have the RPMs just spike without warning and stay there is not useful. Plus, they really ought to put something in the owner's manual about this so as not to give people heart attacks or send them to mechanics. Still, the car is fun to drive in economy mode, so I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

·
Registered
15,268 Posts
cherry, once you use it and "get the hang" of it, then you have that feel that allows you to "predict" as you say how it works. Just use it for a little bit and you will see. I had to ask way back when myself, and pretty much use it to learn it was the answer.

Reactions: cherrycts

·
Registered
17 XT5 AWD Luxury
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just letting off at the speed I want to travel.

----------

Are you maintaining a constant speed and this happens or are you slowing down?
just stopping acceleration to maintain a speed -possibly slight deceleration.

----------

No I am literally traveling 50mph and in 5 seconds is just slams down gear by gear to the 50 mph RPM -crazy fast, so I have to move it as quickly as possible out of sport mode.

----------

Shakey

----------

I think you are wrong. From the OP, it appears he was in "sport" mode, but NOT manual mode.

Shakey
Isn't sport mode when you move the shifter to the right and manually shift it, which is what I was doing. Then, I let off accelerating and all of a sudden in a few second it slam shift down through the gears all the way to first -going 50mph.

----------

Just to make sure that I told this in a way that makes sense.
I was stopped and moved the shifter to the right to get sport mode. Then as I was accelerating, I was manually shifting. At 50MPH in a 45MPH zone, I let off to maintain 50MPH.
All of a sudden in just a few seconds, while going 50MPH, the transmission flew down though the gears, so the RPMs went crazy as the MPH was that high and I was in 1st -again, it would be just like doing the manual down shift just as fast as you could slam it.

·
Registered
2009 CTS4
9 Posts
cherry, once you use it and "get the hang" of it, then you have that feel that allows you to "predict" as you say how it works. Just use it for a little bit and you will see. I had to ask way back when myself, and pretty much use it to learn it was the answer.
Good advice - I'll play with it for a while and see if I can get the hang of it. Thanks!

·
Registered
15,268 Posts
just letting off at the speed I want to travel.

----------

just stopping acceleration to maintain a speed -possibly slight deceleration.

----------

No I am literally traveling 50mph and in 5 seconds is just slams down gear by gear to the 50 mph RPM -crazy fast, so I have to move it as quickly as possible out of sport mode.

----------

Isn't sport mode when you move the shifter to the right and manually shift it, which is what I was doing. Then, I let off accelerating and all of a sudden in a few second it slam shift down through the gears all the way to first -going 50mph.

----------

Just to make sure that I told this in a way that makes sense.
I was stopped and moved the shifter to the right to get sport mode. Then as I was accelerating, I was manually shifting. At 50MPH in a 45MPH zone, I let off to maintain 50MPH.
All of a sudden in just a few seconds, while going 50MPH, the transmission flew down though the gears, so the RPMs went crazy as the MPH was that high and I was in 1st -again, it would be just like doing the manual down shift just as fast as you could slam it.
So you are in the total, 100% manual mode, shifting by hand and not at all automatic, and at a steady speed, and then your trans just downshifts madly on its own? It's messed up.

·
Registered
17 XT5 AWD Luxury
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So you are in the total, 100% manual mode, shifting by hand and not at all automatic, and at a steady speed, and then your trans just downshifts madly on its own? It's messed up.
Yes, that is it!
Anyone else have this happen?
I have had it happen at least 3 different times.

·
Registered
15,268 Posts
Can you get it to do this everytime you drive it? If so, schedule your appointment with your dealer. Elvis sang, "Return to Sender".

·
Registered
Previous:2005 Cadillac XLR; Current:2014 Cadillac CTS Coupe
299 Posts
Have not experienced that on my 2014 Coupe, should be checked. Of course good luck having it happen for the mechanic when you need it to, be prepared for the shrug and "it works OK for us"....

My only surprise was putting it in auto sport mode and resting my hand on the shifter. I accidently moved it a bit and it thought I switched to complete manual mode, took me a minute or two to figure out why it wasn't shifting out of the lower gear as I increased speed.

·
Registered
17 XT5 AWD Luxury
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you get it to do this everytime you drive it? If so, schedule your appointment with your dealer. Elvis sang, "Return to Sender".
I just realized that I don't manual shift very often and maybe it will do it every time -I'll try it tonight

·
Registered
17 XT5 AWD Luxury
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it does seem to do it after driving in sport mode for any distance or after manual shifting and then letting off the accelerator. It isn't a slow downshift like should happen -it just goes down through the gears as fast as it can shift and the rpms go nuts.
No problems with it out of sport mode.
I will have to bring it in to the dealer to check it out.

·
Registered
2009 CTS Sport Premium Package
53 Posts
This happened to me repeatedly however not while in the freeway. While at freeway speeds it was smooth. Then I would exit and end up at a stop sign. As I would take off from there it would refuse to shift out of the lower gear. I had to take my foot off the gas and pull over.

Took it to the mechanic and, luckily, it occurred for him too. The issue with mine was the transmission control module (TCM) I ended up with a new TCM. Then, it supposedly would take a week of recording my algorithms it would be fixed. NOT! Still occurs and other from the insight I've gathered on here no one seems to be able to educate as to what to do. I say teach me I want to use this feature but.... maybe there's a Sport Mode driving school I can go to?

·
Registered
SOLD - 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere Interior
2,930 Posts
Not trying to be a smart ass, but are you sure you're not using it in the manual mode? If you downshift while in the sport mode and then come to a stop, your transmission will go to 1st and wait for you to continue using the manual mode.

Just my 2cents, Marv

·
Registered
17 XT5 AWD Luxury
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well it does seem to do it after driving in sport mode for any distance or after manual shifting and then letting off the accelerator. It isn't a slow downshift like should happen -it just goes down through the gears as fast as it can shift and the rpms go nuts.
No problems with it out of sport mode.
I will have to bring it in to the dealer to check it out.
UPDATE: Finally brought the CTS to the dealer and it did the 2 second 6-5-4-3-2-1 slam downshift. They told me it has a "bad shifter" and they ordered one to install next week -I'll post an update of the exact part and part number when it is done.

·
Registered
17 XT5 AWD Luxury
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Random major down shifting FIXED!

FIXED:
Paperwork indicated that they had found a Code P0826 for the shifter assembly -internal open circuit.
They replaced the transmission shift control PN 25824053 and it worked perfect on the way home.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts