Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was stupid and thought I could get to my hometown station. It apparently ran out of fuel 9 miles short of town. I put 1.5 gallons in it from a neighborly gas can. It fired and ran for a 20 seconds, then quit. No start. Is there a secret process here? 1997 Deville w/ Northstar.

Meter logged 19.0 gallons consumed since last fill. That is the most Iv'e ever used. Supposedly a 20 gal tank but these things vary. It seems reasonable that I ran it dry, and felt same. Cruising, then cut dead. No other problems with the engine in 5 months of ownership.

Input appreciated.:bigroll:

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Put some gas in it and check the fuel pressure. If no pressure check fuse and relay... if good pump time more than likely.

·
Registered
1997 Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put a second gallon in it thinking it is on an incline and the pickup is over in the "wrong" corner. No fire. Car is remote and I have no tools here. Tow to service station time.

Good input rodnok. Thanks!

·
Registered
97 DeVille
172 Posts
Yeah, electric fuel pumps nowadays are of the 'die when run dry' variety. For my truck [two tanks, with in-tank electric pumps in each],
I had to replace both of them and they both warned not to run the pump for more than 3 seconds while dry.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,318 Posts
The pump is also cooled by the gasoline. As mentioned running them dry is frequently fatal.

·
Registered
1997 Deville
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well then I got lucky. for a stupid guy. It was on a slight incline down and to the right. I put 2.5 gallons in it and it didn't start. Gave up and had it towed. Tow driver puts " a little gas in it" and starts it up. Of course I'm not there, so he completes his mission of recovering the car and carrying it to the service garage. They start it up and drive it off the truck. That tow costs me $125.

The good news is I am now introduced to an enthusiastic service guy who owns Northstars and loves them. He is replacing an intermittent Cruise Control module for me and going after the vacuum leaks that are easily accessible. Should help my flaky air control, cold air on drivers side, full hot on passenger side, silly things like that.

Now I know that the fuel capacity is EXACTLY 19.0 gallons. No need to test that again. :suspect:

·
Registered
1992 DeVille, 2013 ATS 3.6
2,366 Posts
Glad it's all good man!

No more gas roulette!!

Top her off at around half a tank =)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts