Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac DeVille 4.9L
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a ram air/cold air setup for the 4.9 available anywhere? I haven't found any online, and have been considering building my own...

I've been trying to think of a good way to do a ram air setup, because those help noticeably at speeds upwards of 40mph..

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Ghost C has made one...talk to him..hes got one of the fastest 4.9 devilles around

·
Registered
'91 Sedan DeVille Silhouette Special
439 Posts
It's true. Electric superchargers, when properly built, do work.

But the ones that work properly are few and far between. Thomas Knight, as far as I know, is one of, if not the only manufacturer of an E-SC that actually works, especially for a 300ci V8. Yes, I realize I just said TKT is the only one with a working model. Mine doesn't work well enough - It burns up parts too often to even be considered for street use.

If you're going to pay several hundred dollars for a good electronic supercharger, you may as well save a few more dollars, and buy a CAI, exhaust, and a nitrous kit. More all-time power, and more on-the-switch power.

·
Registered
'98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!
4,425 Posts
Copycat!!! :D Looks good man.

Mahalaleel, I forgot that you sent me a PM a while ago in regards to this. I'll do a write up on it in a few days with a few pics.

·
Registered
439 Posts
illumina said:
Copycat!!! :D Looks good man.
Haha, hey, I didn't know you did your engine bay like that until after I had already started doing mine. It looks better now though...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Yeah, I did mine about three years ago. I have older pictures on my cardomain site, which I haven't updated in a while. I re-did the whole thing about 6 months ago and did the spark plug covers and such like you have yours, only I did mine in anodized blue, not flat blue and I got rid of most of the red I had in there. I also have a polished 4-inch aluminum intake now. Looks freakin' great! I'll post a pic, wait a second...

·
Registered
439 Posts
4"? That outer diameter or inner? Ours are only 3.5" OD. I've got the ultimate cold air location, though...

(Yes, I know my filter looks ghetto, but it's also the filter medium of choice for many SCCA Speed World Challenge cars.)

Where'd you get yours done, or did you do it yourself?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
That's what I plan do do with the air filter when I go turbo: that is to re-locate the charcoal canister and route the intake down low. I just need to make sure that water doesn't intrude from that location.

As for why mine is still visible, I like to have a combination of looks and performance, and there is hardly any serious heat reaching the air filter for performance to be impeded.

For the filter, I used the Spectre (I think) universal filter that adapts from 3 inch, 3.5 inches, and 4 inches, all OD. The tube is a polished aluminum 45 degree angle tube from the local ricer shop. I can't remember who makes it, but I'll find out later.

As for who did my setup, me and only me!!! I am one of a select few (you too) who thinks this shit up as a hobby. I wouldn't dare let anyone try and touch my baby :nono:

So far, my car is good for a sub-7 second 0-60 run and very low 15's on the quarter. I posted a 15.33 @ 90 mph well over a year ago, and since then, I've seen better times because of some extra tweaking. The last 0-60 run I got in with my G-Tech was about 6.7 seconds, which was this past autumn. I also got in a 0-100 time in just under 19 seconds...To keep people from calling this bullshit (Blackout), I won't even mention the quatermile times from that run...

·
Registered
439 Posts
illumina said:
That's what I plan do do with the air filter when I go turbo: that is to re-locate the charcoal canister and route the intake down low. I just need to make sure that water doesn't intrude from that location.
I don't have a problem with it, it still sits up above the hole. I was thinking of building a sort of scoop to block water and force more air in.
As for why mine is still visible, I like to have a combination of looks and performance, and there is hardly any serious heat reaching the air filter for performance to be impeded.
Yeah, I've noticed heat isn't very much of a problem. With the pop charger intake we (Evoluzione, so people don't think I'm schizo or something) were testing, I noticed it gave damn near the level of performance as the full on CAI. Gives a much throaty-er sound though...

For the filter, I used the Spectre (I think) universal filter that adapts from 3 inch, 3.5 inches, and 4 inches, all OD. The tube is a polished aluminum 45 degree angle tube from the local ricer shop. I can't remember who makes it, but I'll find out later.
You have a ricer shop intake? Ew! You should have let me build your intake, no where near as much heat soak as aluminum, plus it looks like it's a little longer for more higher RPM horsepower.

As for who did my setup, me and only me!!! I am one of a select few (you too) who thinks this shit up as a hobby. I wouldn't dare let anyone try and touch my baby :nono:
Hobby? This is my job.

So far, my car is good for a sub-7 second 0-60 run and very low 15's on the quarter. I posted a 15.33 @ 90 mph well over a year ago, and since then, I've seen better times because of some extra tweaking. The last 0-60 run I got in with my G-Tech was about 6.7 seconds, which was this past autumn. I also got in a 0-100 time in just under 19 seconds...To keep people from calling this bullshit (Blackout), I won't even mention the quatermile times from that run...
Nice! We should get 'em together and run them, sounds like we're about equal. You broken into the 14's yet? I've been waiting for you to do it.

I need a G-Tech...

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
No, I do my own work, but thanks anyways :thumbsup:

I did the original intake for this car in PVC about three years ago. It looked pretty good for a while but began to twist a little bit from the heat and being in there for so long. As for the aluminum, I really don't think it's impeding anything at all. It looks good and was fairly cheap. Plus it is routed well out of the way of any serious heat. It has plenty of plenum space per'se, so like I said, I'm not too worried about it. Besides, when I get things welded for this turbocharger, things are going to look way different than they do now.

As for the comments on breaking into the 14's....I'm not saying anything at all :D Before the turbo goes in, I plan on getting some time in at the track while it's still naturally aspirated. I expect pretty decent results too.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)
581 Posts
Just for my curiosity:

how does those system control the air/fuel mixture? I thought 4.9 can't handle any positive pressure just because the way the MAP sensor works.

You guys have very nice cars!

·
Registered
439 Posts
No idea, but I will tell you that with the electric supercharger on it, when it worked, created positive pressure and the car ran the same as normal, however when you hit the throttle...

How far away is your turbo setup, illumina?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
100 said:
Just for my curiosity:
how does those system control the air/fuel mixture? I thought 4.9 can't handle any positive pressure just because the way the MAP sensor works.
You guys have very nice cars!
Yoy're right in that the MAP sensors cannot read boost. It might handle about 2-3 psi at most, but nothing more than that. I've been working on this problem for some time with my project. Just no way around that, thus meaning that if you want to run serious boost, you have to get creative.

Ghost C said:
How far away is your turbo setup, illumina?
Still a ways off. Just not enough time to get it done. If I give an actual timeframe, it'll take another 50 years before I actually get it done...So, let's just say that I'm not too far from putting it all together, I just have no time to do what needs to be done to make it fit. And no room in my garage for it right now either. I have a whole other project that I've been working on, which quite honestly is more important as it will help to pay for stage-2 and then some.

So in a nutshell, between school, work, business, and some other projects, it's on the back burner for the time being...

·
Registered
439 Posts
I know how multiple projects goes. Right now, we're working on both Evo Eng cars to get them ready for the race season, and half a dozen local cars to prep them for shows, and we still have orders on parts.

Interesting on the boost pressure thing, most likely the ESC worked because it only makes around 2psi.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan De Ville (4.9 L)
581 Posts
Interesting... So, let's say up to +2 psi boost, no sensor modfication is needed, am I correct? What I don't understand a lot is if the car runs fine when it is in a closed loop. In the closed loop, the PCM primarily relys on info from O2 sensor to determine amount of gas from injectors, right? If so, info from MAP may be not important. Another thing is how you set the timing. 10 degree and use 93 only or retarding or what? I can't belive these 4.9 don't have a knock sensor...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts