Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 98 deville concours, and the rain sense wipers dont seem to work. If I wet the windsheild they dont move, I could have sworn that all you had to do was spray water on the winshield and they work normally, mine dont. The windsheild has been replaced with a rainsense compatiable one, but this new one has a crack all the way across the windshield from left to right. I was wondering does this affect the system any. N e kinda of help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance- Joey

·
Registered
82 Posts
fristim said:
I just bought a 98 deville concours, and the rain sense wipers dont seem to work. If I wet the windsheild they dont move, I could have sworn that all you had to do was spray water on the winshield and they work normally, mine dont. The windsheild has been replaced with a rainsense compatiable one, but this new one has a crack all the way across the windshield from left to right. I was wondering does this affect the system any. N e kinda of help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance- Joey
You need to make sure that the wiper is in the intermitant "int" position for the rain sense wipers to work, or else they stay off. This is the "off" switch so to speak, so you dont damage them in carwashes and such!
Frank

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interest

I am very interested in the physics behind the Rainsense wipers. If anyone can explain to me the optics behind the sensor they would be greatly appreciated. Also, is this system expensive? Efficient? Reliable?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The system in my car works flawlessly. I love it. And yes, make sure the stalk is in the "int" position. Then the dial adjusts the sensitivity of the sensor.

-Eli

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
As a reminder,your wipers should swipe once when you first start the car. That shows they're working. Turning the intermediate ring up and down when INT is on adjusts the sensitivity of the system. It works by sensing the refraction of infrared beams by the raindrops.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Make sure the sticker on the rainsense box is the correct one ...I had mine replaced and they stuck it on with who knows what..Your caddy dealer sells this sticker thing...

·
Registered
984 Posts
There are alot of factors that can affect how the Rainsense system works. The biggest factor is when the windshield needs to be replaced (as in your case). Most glass shops are not familiar with replacing the module correctly or even what it is. I've seen the module attached upside down, above the rearview mirror, etc. There is a special kit that is available for reattaching the module. It contains a special optical tape for attaching the module. Placement of the module is just as important. The service manual shows exactly where it needs to go. You also mentioned that you have big crack across the windshield. That will definately affect operation. The module utilizes 8 infrared beams that criss-cross the windshield to detect moisture. You can imagine what kind of light refraction happens to an infrared beam when it hits cracked glass!

Max

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rainsense Wipers

Hi...I just purchased a 2000 STS and just read that the rainsense wipers automatically swipe once upon starting the car - is this normal? I was going to take the car for this - if this is normal, is there a way to disable the swipe whrn stating the car?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Sure, just turn your wipers off. They only work when you have your wipers on. You have to be able to turn them off so you can go through a carwash without them coming on. All the info is in your car's owner's manual.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Within this thread, there has been mention of windshields, modules and stickers. Can the rainsense wipers system work on a regular windshield if the proper module and sticker are installed/used correctly? Or is a special windshield required to get the necessary optics?

Thanks and enjoy,
Scott

·
Registered
21 Posts
El Dobro said:
Sure, just turn your wipers off. They only work when you have your wipers on. You have to be able to turn them off so you can go through a carwash without them coming on. All the info is in your car's owner's manual.
My wipers are off! - The indicator is in the off position and not in the "INT" position that activates the Rainsense option...each time I start my car the wipers swipe once. Can someone please tell me if this is truely a normalcy for vehicles having the rainsense wipers?

·
Registered
984 Posts
When the Rainsense wipers are in the "OFF" position (which means pulling the stalk all the way down against the spring tension [which is the "MIST" mode] and then releasing the stalk so it is in the position right above the "MIST" mode, they are not supposed to do anything just like any other wiper in the "OFF" mode. When in the "AUTO" mode (the position right above the "OFF" mode), the wipers will always "wipe" once and then if it is not raining or if the windshield does not have any moisture on it, the wipers will remain in the "park" position and not move unless it begins to rain or the windshield becomes wet. The adjustable sensitivity dial allows you to control how "sensitive" the system operates from low sensitivity to high sensitivity. If you leave the wipers in the "AUTO" mode, every time you start the vehicle, the wipers will "wipe" once to make you aware that the sytem is on and then go back to the "park" position and stay there unless it is raining. Above the "AUTO" position, there is a fixed "LO" position and above that is a fixed "HI" position where the wipers will remain on "lo" or "hi" mode continuously.

As for the windshield, from what I understand, it needs to be a special windshield for use with the Rainsense system. I'm not sure what the difference is but it apparently doesn't operate correctly.

Max

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
Maximln