Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Deville
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I take my 2005 Deville through a decent rain puddle, usually at slow speed and during the first few miles of a trip, I lose my power steering for a few seconds.
Since it's been at slow speeds safety hasn't been a major concern. Still it's disconcerting and the thought that it might get worse worries me.
What do I have? A loose belt? Problem with power steering pump? We only drive the car a few months a year in Florida and I'm Maine at the moment but my wife and the car are on the roads in Florida. What have I got??
Thanks,
Rob

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
I've heard of this before. Could be the serpentine belt getting wet and slipping.
Is the lower splash in place?
Is the tensioner providing enough belt tension?

·
Registered
2005 Deville
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Belt seems to be fine. Will check spash plate and tensioner when I return to Fl. on the 18th.
Thanks, Ranger!
Rob

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,256 Posts
When I take my 2005 Deville through a decent rain puddle, usually at slow speed and during the first few miles of a trip, I lose my power steering for a few seconds.
Since it's been at slow speeds safety hasn't been a major concern. Still it's disconcerting and the thought that it might get worse worries me.
What do I have? A loose belt? Problem with power steering pump? We only drive the car a few months a year in Florida and I'm Maine at the moment but my wife and the car are on the roads in Florida. What have I got??
Thanks,
Rob
========================
check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes -
if you don't know how - go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/138257-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

·
Registered
2005 Lexus LS430, 1993 Deville
181 Posts
I had the same problem with my 04 Deville. If I drove through a large puddle and got the belt wet it would take much more effort
to turn the wheel and the lights would also dim if it was at night. I wouldn't say that I would completely lose power steering, but it would
def take much more effort to turn the wheel. When this would happen it would only last about 15-30 sec. In your case
I would try it at night and see if your lights dim; if they do, then that's an indication that its your belt because the same
belt drives the alternator.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
404 Posts
If you go on car complaints, people say that this is an issue on the 2005 Deville.

The least you can do is replace the belt or tensioner.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
The thread has been dead for 2.5 years. You may not receive a reply from the OP. Always check the post dates for latest info.

Are all the lower splash shields in place ? Lower shield, outer shields, inner fenderwell liners?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts