Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of replacing the pretty basic single CD player/radio in my 2007 SRX with something which will provide bluetooth hands free and be able to connect to my iphone for navigation etc. Just wondering if anyone on here has done this and the pros and cons of doing so? It would be nice also if the double din screen could display images from a backup camera while in reverse and the unit could maintain the steering wheel controls.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been thinking of doing the same, as well as adding a backup camera to go with the proximity sensors. For now I'm using a cigarette lighter adapter that lets me charge my phone and includes an fm modulator. So far it's worked great. Calls are clear and it was easy to setup.

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed a backup camera on my Avalanche and now I really miss it. It was a 2006 and had factory BT or I thought it was. I’m wondering if someone had converted the Onstar to BT now. That can be done but it’s an expensive mod.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I thought it was weird that the steering wheel has a phone button. I pressed it, then realized that it goes through onstar. Doh!

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been looking at this one.

It replaces the onstar with a bluetooth unit that works with the original electronics.

John
That is what had been installed on my Avalanche and it worked flawlessly. I checked them out online though and they are priced around $350USD
I'm wondering if replacing the headunit might be a cheaper way to do it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That is what had been installed on my Avalanche and it worked flawlessly. I checked them out online though and they are priced around $350USD
I'm wondering if replacing the headunit might be a cheaper way to do it.
Replacing the head unit could be cheaper. Just depends on how many bells and whistles you want. I like the OEM look, for the most part. But touchscreen would be pretty nice. I can't believe I just said that!

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm unsure of how the modern head units work for nav. I have a feeling that they might use the cell phone to download maps, directions etc rather than having their own GPS, but I'm not sure. I don't know what Cadillac GPS is like but the factory setup in my '08 Subaru Outback costs almost $300 to update the maps and to be honest we couldn't tell the difference where we live.

·
2004 Deville base
'05 SRX N*/AWD, Vetts/Birds/Trucks
391 Posts
More seriously

The con: Caddys gots lots of gizmos. Some?? may or may not work(worth a shit by golly) when one futzez around with the radio. To include the alarm/immobilization/chimes...I don't know what all,,,not my bag man.
The hair yanking/tears/cusswords... are legend.
If it is a DIY,,,be prepared
Paid install...buyer BEWARE.

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
...Paid install...buyer BEWARE.
Having worked in stereo shops in my younger years, I would be pretty leary of having anybody install anything into any of my vehicles. Speed is the name of the game in typical shops, so whatever gets it out the door fastest is what gets done. No telling what all they can screw up in 30 minutes on one of these cars!

·
Registered
88 Posts
One thing that I don't understand is, on my car, it has a normal backlit LCD or plasma display for the radio, but it also includes the various messages and settings. Where would all of that go?

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's this kit on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Radio-Stereo-Trim-Dash-Kit-OnStar-Interface-for-2003-2007-Cadillac-SRX-CTS/323736856009?

There's a $20 kit that doesn't include the module, too.

Then there's this thing that, well, I don't know what it does, but from the pics, I think I need it: https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Cadillac-CTS-SRX-2003-2007-Car-Stereo-Radio-DVD-CD-Player-AUX-Bluetooth-Cam/303302590832?

Dave
Looks like my kind of video Dave :) For some reason the first one you listed doesn't work with a 2007 SRX!
Barry

·
2004 Deville base
391 Posts
I know 0 on these units. I could, just isn't that important to me. haha a professional musician/roady way back.

That video, is a stock unit, what is in my '05. The nav boots up/works, just like my phone, about the same accuracy.
There is no subscription to anything.

·
2004 Deville base
391 Posts
"but it also includes the various messages and settings. Where would all of that go?"

Righty-O, thatswhatIMtalkingbout. Poof?

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think my radio displays anything beyond what playing. My messages are displayed on the dash below the speedo.

·
2004 Deville base
391 Posts
See, now yer talking my lingo...
Then there's this thing that, well,""" I don't know what it does, but from the pics, I think I need it:""" https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Cadillac-CTS-SRX-2003-2007-Car-Stereo-Radio-DVD-CD-Player-AUX-Bluetooth-Cam/303302590832?

I bought some cool flexhead wrenches, reversible 1/4" socket on 1 end passthru on the other. 4/6/10" lengths
Same thoughts. haha Everyone that has seen them says WTF good is it....until they need it. haha

Indash repair place for some reference; used em on vettes/birds, my old stomping grounds.

What all did that radio come with? I can make a wrench trade, for the 'right' equipment.:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts