Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any known difficulties with dropping an '05 non-nav radio into an '03 w/o NAV? I'm interested in XM and have a chance to put my hands on one.

thanks,
Mike :hmm:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Changing the radio will not give you xm. That is a different receiver that cannot be changed from vehicle to vehicle. In fact if you remove the DRR from the original car and put in your car it will go into theftlock and never work again. It cannot be reprogrammed. GM's little mission impossible. The bright side is if you have the Bose system you can add XM from the aftermarket and it would be exactly like factory. The Base radio in 03 is the only one you cannot add Factory like XM. All others have the software in them.

DanDan

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
DanDan said:
In fact if you remove the DRR from the original car and put in your car it will go into theftlock and never work again. It cannot be reprogrammed.
DanDan
This statement is totally false. The theftlock can easily be cleared by any dealer using the Tech 2 tool. The charge can range from $75 to $150 and my dealer charged me $85 to clear mine when I upgraded to a nav from a wrecked CTS.

The statement regarding the new radio not giving you XM is correct since there is a separate XM module for the XM radio.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My Statement is not false! It is correct. If you read it carefully you will see that I was not referring to the main radio but the Digital Radio Receiver (DRR)! That is the XM module. If you remove the XM Module(DRR) from one vehicle to another it will go into theftlock and rendered useless. No way to unlock the DRR! Simply removing the radio from the 05 and installing it into the 03 will not give them XM. You can unlock the factory radio yes, but that is not what I was referring to. The factory XM module is located on the back shelf and cannot be swapped from one vehicle to another. GM's little mission impossible!

DanDan

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
Another thing, somewhere around here was a thread where someone was able to get XM into a non-xm car using some wiring interface and aftermarket xm equpment. DO a search, I DON'T think its impossible to do, just maybe not yet or something.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, an '03 BOSE radio can have aftermarket XM added?

If so, know of any experts I can contact? My local audio guy says he doesn't know.

thanks!

Mike

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
http://www.radiosandmore.com/SearchField.asp?SValue=XMCadillac

This kit (the top one) is full integration (just like the factory version)... or so they tell me.. these guys are good! they will have a few kits available.. call them!

Kit 1: CTS owners with NAV
Plug n play read of the radio XM
Looks like regular facotory XM
Kit 2: CTS without NAV
Plugs in behind the radio
Requires Tech II programming
Kit 3: CTS owners- with prewire/replacement (not sure if this exists)
Plugs in under the rear deck
Looks like regular/factory XM

Dan dan doesnt have the monopoly anymore!

Reed

·
Registered
152 Posts
I never had a monopoly, I just had a head start! If your in the South Florida area I can help. If not you can purchase it at the website stated above. I also have a cts out there 05 with non nav radio with a sirius tuner interfaced through the radio. Works just like the xm except it is Sirius. Works good but going to give it another month before I start selling them.

DanDan

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
DanDan , I'd be interested in the sirius connection when you get the thing ready. I have a non-nav / non-bose system on an 04 luxury, will it work for me in this case?

·
Registered
466 Posts
mikeokeefe said:
Any known difficulties with dropping an '05 non-nav radio into an '03 w/o NAV? I'm interested in XM and have a chance to put my hands on one.:hmm:
I have a '03 CTS with Bose system. I upgraded to a '05 DVD Nav and recently installed the Radios & More XM system. Super easy install and it is in fact "factory" in apperarance. I highly recommend the DVD Nav upgrade and the XM system add-on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts