Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 DTS(140K), 2000 ETC(284K), 1990 allante( 80K)
1,915 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,012 Posts
When the Radio Shack in Hillsmere Center, Annapolis went out of business in '82 I bought their entire remaining vacuum tube stock for $50. Fenced it all for just over $5300. Some really good rebranded English GE and Dutch Amperex pieces.......some absolute junk Japanese trash.

Used to be you could buy DIY kits for anything at a RS, including DIY TV antenna kits !! How about 4 different gauges of enameled magnet wire for winding coils for DIY speaker crossovers ?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,091 Posts
When the Radio Shack in Hillsmere Center, Annapolis went out of business in '82 I bought their entire remaining vacuum tube stock for $50. Fenced it all for just over $5300. Some really good rebranded English GE and Dutch Amperex pieces.......some absolute junk Japanese trash.

Used to be you could buy DIY kits for anything at a RS, including DIY TV antenna kits !! How about 4 different gauges of enameled magnet wire for winding coils for DIY speaker crossovers ?
There used to be all kinds of electronic kits. I've still got Eico sig gens and battery eliminators; Heathkit fish finder, scope calibrators, freq counters, volt meters, ex gas analyzers, VOR simulators, and who knows what else and it all still works. I've got the RS magnet wire that I used to rewind small electric motors for alternate voltages and a host of other projects. I must have a wash tub full of wall warts in all sizes and ratings and at least 1/2 dozen RC set-ups.

·
Registered
None yet!
1,025 Posts
*sigh*

We've still got magnet wire!
I work there, and I agree it's not what it used to be. All the really cool stuff -the parts, the wire, the CB radio and scanners and stuff, is called "Heritage" merchandise. There is still some good stuff, but I long for the glory days. I really think I was born 20 years too late... It's fun to see, though, that some of the stuff in the catalogs (looking through 1982 right now) is still the exact same. The audio meter on page 22, for example. Slightly different design on the modern one, but other stuff still has the same catalog number!

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Alot of older Radio Shack stores still have some of that "heritage" merchandise that they've had for YEARS with the ORIGINAL packaging from so long ago. I saw the CB speaker at one of the stores a while back that had an ANCIENT dirty box but it was still new.

·
Registered
None yet!
1,025 Posts
Alot of older Radio Shack stores still have some of that "heritage" merchandise that they've had for YEARS with the ORIGINAL packaging from so long ago. I saw the CB speaker at one of the stores a while back that had an ANCIENT dirty box but it was still new.
Hell, we've still got a couple items like this. CB stuff, certain parts, and obscure antenna stuff (rotators, etc., although as people upgrade their antennae this is dropping off) is the stuff most likely to have the truly ancient packaging. In my experience any given store will have a few items in such packaging, and it will be completely random. New doctrine comming down is forcing all old packaging to the front of the peg, so get out and look for it if you like it. We've still got some old speaker wire in bags, little nuts and bolts, and the CB speakers, among other things. Two big spools of Archer telephone wire, too, but they are so old they're "off-deck" and can't be vended the normal way. I think they were "store-use"'d a while back for something and are hanging around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts