Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SRX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The radio in my wife's 2004 SRX has a crack on the right side between the outside edge and the round knob for changing stations. It has been like that for over a year now. We are going to sell the SRX so I want to replace the radio as it doesn't look good with that big crack in it and I know I wouldn't purchase a car with the radio in that condition even though it is in perfect working order.

The dealership says it would cost $800 for a new replacement. There is no way I am spending that much on a stock radio. I could probably go aftermarket for less.

I have found a couple OEM radios on ebay but I am concerned as to whether they would be plug and play or not. Here is one for example:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004...34QQitemZ150595243316QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Is anyone familiar with whether or not this radio off of ebay would work for me? Are these radios tied to the VIN of the car or have to be unlocked before it would work?

I am going to pull out the existing radio and check the part number to see if it will match with what I am finding on ebay.

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
You could get a 'radio' from a salvage yard and replace it yourself. Then, take the car to your dealer to have the radio reprogramed to your car. Otherwise, it ain't gonna work.

·
Registered
2004 SRX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the radio out after work today and the part number doesn't match what I am finding on ebay even though they look identical. I will check some local salvage yards.

·
Registered
2008 SRX AWD
13 Posts
I have a 2008 SRX with no Nav. I have installed a dash kit and the kit did include a cover panel for the radio that does cover the outside portion around the knobs. Not only would it cover the crack (which is only cosmetic), it REALLY adds to the interior look and installation is a breeze. A lot cheaper that swapping out the radio and there a numerous sites selling these kits..... take a look.

·
Registered
2004 SRX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2008 SRX with no Nav. I have installed a dash kit and the kit did include a cover panel for the radio that does cover the outside portion around the knobs. Not only would it cover the crack (which is only cosmetic), it REALLY adds to the interior look and installation is a breeze. A lot cheaper that swapping out the radio and there a numerous sites selling these kits..... take a look.
That's a great idea! Do you happen to have a link to the kit you used? The car has wood on the top part of the steering wheel and around the shifter. I wonder what I would need to get to match the existing wood.

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
JJ......in my opinion a 2004 is expected to have cosmetic issues as is any pre-owned vehicle. I don't want to sound argumentative or contrary, but............

I would think that most buyers in the market for an 04 would be more interested in the overall condition of the vehicle which speaks volumes for how the SRX was cared for, including appearance. You want the prospects to see what you see. A very clean vehicle that generates excitement in them, one they can purchase and drive off with pride and relative peace of mind.

Do all of the features and options work? Do you have good service records showing service intervals? Do you have all of the owners' manuals? Both key fobs with fresh batteries? Original sticker or a complete, printed list of your particular vehicle's options? Could the vehicle benefit from a professional detailing (outside, inside, and the engine bay)? Remaining tire and brake life? Rim condition? Would your supplying a Carfax help the potential purchasers see the big picture?

If you think you could recover your replacement radio cost at the time of sale, go for it. Otherwise I would be thinking of the other stuff mentioned above, or stuff you could do yourself preparing the SRX for sale.

Personally, I seldom buy new vehicles; and that is the stuff I pay attention to. A crack in the audio system plate wouldn't raise any warning flags for me or trigger my anal retentive tendencies when it comes to buying a pre-owned vehicle. But that's me.

PJ

PS: I'd also supply the potential purchaser with some of the original vehicle reviews from 2004 which you can print off the internet, like from the automotive magazines (Car and Driver, Road & Track, Edmunds). They were all downright glowing!!!!! They add a little excitement from someone elses' professional viewpoint, so to speak.

·
Registered
2004 SRX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JJ......in my opinion a 2004 is expected to have cosmetic issues as is any pre-owned vehicle.

I would think that most buyers in the market for an 04 would be more interested in the overall condition of the vehicle which speaks volumes for how the SRX was cared for, including appearance.

Do all of the features and options work? Do you have good service records showing service intervals? Do you have all of the owners' manuals? Both key fobs? Original sticker or a complete, printed list of vehicle options? Could the vehicle benefit from a professional detailing (outside, inside, and the engine bay)? Remaining tire and brake life? Rim condition? Would your supplying a Carfax help the potential purchasers see the big picture?

If you think you could recover your replacement radio cost at the time of sale, go for it. Otherwise I would be thinking of the other stuff mentioned above, or stuff you could do yourself preparing the SRX for sale.

Personally, I seldom buy new vehicles; and that is the stuff I pay attention to. A crack in the audio system plate wouldn't raise any warning flags for me or trigger my anal retentive tendencies when it comes to buying a pre-owned vehicle. But that's me.

PJ
Sure, everything that originally came with the car is there (key fobs, manuals, etc.). The car only has 57,000 miles on it and is in great condition other than this crack in the radio. Had new tires put on in November 2010.

It looks like the dash kit would be an inexpensive fix relative to the cost of a replacement radio so I will likely just do that. Then I just need to get the car detailed. After that I don't think I will have any trouble selling it.

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
Or you might be tempted to keep it with low mileage like that and the attributes the SRX has......

Don't forget, this vehicle brings with it lower insurance costs, lower depreciation expense, and every month you drive it without payments is money in the bank.

PJ

·
Registered
2008 SRX AWD
13 Posts
I purchased my 46 piece kit online from carid.com. Really easy to install (less than one hour). Of course, you really have to clean the surface well to remove all traces of any protectant such as armour-all, etc. I have before and after photo's available, but not sure how to post them....

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Sweet, to post pics, after you write your reply, click (go advanced), then (manage attachments), then (browse) to find pics in your folders. Selec a pic, then click (open) in lower rt corner, then (upload) and your pic should appear like this-

·
Registered
2008 SRX AWD
13 Posts
Here's a photo with the kit installed on the radio console. Thanks glake for the quick tutorial, seems the photo was too large to post. As for the match to the existing wood (both pattern, color and finish), as you can see, it is absolutely spot-on. I believe it is called Sapele Wood and is the OEM match for the SRX (at least my 2008).

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 SRX
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks really good! I just placed my order for the factory oem match dash kit from carid.com about an hour ago.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Thanks, Sweet, glad to help. BTW, either in your camera software (to load pics) or in one of the 'office' programs, you have the ability to 'resize' pics (reduce the pixel count) so you can post to sites that have size limits.

·
Registered
2009 SRX-4 Sport / TriCoatWhite
1,185 Posts
My kit came from wooddashexperts... I always thought GM should not be so skimpy with the wood - especially when trying to compete with the likes of Audi and BMW.

My SRX was in the shop yesterday - they gave me an STS to drive,and it an NO wood in it anywhere - - it reminded me of a Chevy cavalier.

Gotta have Lots of wood in a luxury car.

·
Registered
SRX 2005 V6
56 Posts
2005 SRX: For similar cracking problem I bought a used radio unit from ebay for $80. Search as CTS radio, you will get more offers. It was hard to find one with decent bezel. Now I did not install it yet, but already removed the front face from the aluminum housing. It seems that the housing has all the hard PC stuff in it, while the bezel with the buttons & display is just an interface. Four bolts & two red tabs hold the two components together. So, chances are that by swapping only the interface portion & keeping the the existing housing in place will not cause any anti-theft lock up. I might be wrong, so I will do the work at the dealership's parking lot:)

IMPORTANT: I have changed the ashtray unit last year, make sure that you do a research how to take things apart or you are looking for cracking some compinents & the ashtray unit is not always available (plus it is about $150). In a nutshell:
- open ashtray lid
- remove ashtray
- use flashlight, find bolt hiding behind ashtray opening, remove bolt
- pop out ashtray unit without cracking it, 2 or 4 tabs around can't remember
- flip up vent unit (it is hinged on the top, will not come out!)
- now you can deal with the radio unit
Plus I think there was an issue about putting it into neutral to have room removing ashtray unit. Good luck! If you take it to the dealer, share this info or they might crack something, there are some stories somewhere on this blog.

With the nav unit type radio, the bezel is freely removable & cost only $25.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts