Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 94 Deville has the factory cassette/radio and I'd like to swap something a little more modern in it's place. I see factory cd units for sale on eBay but am unsure if this is a straight plug and play proposition. I'm also concerned about how reliable a 10 year old cd player is going to be.

Anyone swapped out their radio for a cd version? Purchased a reconditioned unit off of eBay? How about other GM cd units that work?

Any hints, tricks, or tips appreciated!

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
why not just totaly upgrade your setup .

of coarse i spent a little more but 258 bucks got me a kenwood mp3/cd unit thats sirius satelite ready . but its nice to put a mp3cd in monday and not have to fish for another one tuesday , takes awhile to work thru 188 tracks of music!!!

i had it installed by a shop for 45 bucks ,i rebuild automatic trannys but i dont do stereos

·
Registered
213 Posts
So How difficult is it to swap out to an aftermarket player? Any tougher having to deal with the power antenna? Where did you get your system and did they do the install?
Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
14,607 Posts
it looks pretty easy , i got the head unit from best buy . they also sell the wireing kit that plugs into the stock harness and wires up to the headunit's pig tail , they also sell the plate that makes the unit fit in the GM hole , most aftermarket units are single "din" size , gm is like a double "din" size so you can get the plate from best buy also to make it fit . youll also need the antenna adapter which also plugs in .

best buy installs the stuff but i forget how much they charge , the power antenna is just fine goes up like it did from the factory when you flip the recivver over to radio

there is a pic of my interior here : http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/data/1/959inside-med.jpg

as you can see there is a issue of picking something out that will match your interior , i couldnt and i still dont like the way the aftermarket stuff looks in my car , but it sounds much beatter and plays mp3s

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I had a bit more problems because I was going in blind...First, I let Best Buy put in the new deck. No problem until they kept asking me questions about the Bose system, so I could see that they were going to have a bit of trouble. Eventually got it installed and then an amp started to die on one of the speakers and I took it to Best Buy just to check out the deck to make sure it wasn't a loose connection. It was the speaker amp on the front right speaker, and they claimed they fixed the problem by grounding the ground wire from the deck on something else. Dolts.

So when I rewired the car for new speakers, like a dumbass I cut all the harnesses off so I had to look up the wire color so I could properly match them to the deck. Damn I make things difficult on myself. I agree with the issue of picking a setup that will match the interior...its tough to do! At least all the aftermarket speakers fit in the same speaker areas so the only portion that does not look stock is the deck.
Jacob Hoppe

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Forgot something...
I outlined the entire system's installation with images and descriptions on my website. This being the first whole system I replaced basically by myself, I think I did a pretty decent job. The installation is separated into four sections for ease of reading.

Personal Cadillac Page

Jacob Hoppe

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you have the premium sound in your car.. if you do you need to pick up a special wiring harness so you don't blow out your amps on yours speakers... best buy carries them along with the install kit you will need...wiring harness for the premium sound runs like $40 and the install kit runs about 15-30...i didn't know if you were aware of this or not so i figured i would post this

·
Registered
53 Posts
Being the semi-cheap bastard that I am, I bought a reconditioned Aiwa CD deck to put in my '94 Deville (although it has worked really well since I put it in). The installation was not rocket science, but it was not a total breeze, either. You HAVE to buy the CORRECT installation kit from a stereo installation/electronics store. Then, you'll need to match the Cadillac plugs to the kit plug, but you can figure that out (eventually). Matching wires to wires is easy--just splice together the same (roughly) color wires; I used wire nuts. Be patient, and make sure to use electrical tape on everything.
I should mention that I am someone who is willing to improvise; for example, I just used some pieces of 1X and some duct tape to shim the stereo in and make it stable. I had to remove some of the bracing that held in the OEM tape deck (although I can still put that back in if, for some reason, I have to). I also cut a large square out of a large plastic bin cover and spray-painted that plastic piece black, to use as facing between the Aiwa deck and the stereo trim piece.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone have a problem with trying to maintain the wheel mounted controls. I have found lots of premium double din systems, at premium prices. I have not found any that could use the wheel mounted control, without a tacky remote velcroed onto the sterring wheel.:banghead:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go to crutchfield.com. I got my cd player, the correct wiring harness for plug in and detailed instructions for a real attractive price. The install was easy.

·
Registered
520 Posts
SamB said:
My 94 Deville has the factory cassette/radio and I'd like to swap something a little more modern in it's place. I see factory cd units for sale on eBay but am unsure if this is a straight plug and play proposition. I'm also concerned about how reliable a 10 year old cd player is going to be.

Anyone swapped out their radio for a cd version? Purchased a reconditioned unit off of eBay? How about other GM cd units that work?

Any hints, tricks, or tips appreciated!
I bought a replacement AM\FM\CD for my 92 Eldorado on Ebay. It came from a junkyard and was used rather than rebuilt. But it was came with a warranty too. It was a direct replacement, and I've had no problems with it. It's best to check the seller's feedback rating, and read the terms of the auction. I'd have no problem buying one there again if I need to in the future.
Bob

·
Registered
169 Posts
First, People Pleeasssse Dont Use Wire Nuts On Your Stereo's There Are Nifty Little Things Called Crimpcaps That Are Much More Secure And You Dont Want Something Loose In Your Dash. Second, The Question About The Steering Wheel Controls, You Can Find A Inexpensive Peice Of Equipment I Believe Pros Call It A Pac-3 Its A Little Box With Some Wires, What You Do Is Hook The Wires To The S.w. Controls Then It Can "learn" Up To 6 (i Think) Commands From Them The Other Side Of The Box Has A Little I.r. Sensor On It So If You Have A Radio With Remote Capapbilities You Can Keep Your S.w. Controls. I Have A 96 Deville No Bose And I Put In A Radio Exactly Like Every Other Car I've Done, Fine. But The Accesory Wire Coming From The Gm Harness Is Not Right I Had To Tap Into A Acc. Wire Under The Steering Column.

·
Registered
982 Posts
getting a stock deck is going to be good for some of yall as it seems but you can also go aftermarket cheaply too. go to walmart and get the harness and install kit back in automotive. if you must then go to best buy or a stereo shop to get the harness for the bose amps. stereo instalation is really as easy as changing oil. i havent done a bose lac but i have done a 92 taurus w/ a 7 speaker factory jbl system and it is simply just a separate harness for the speakers.

ill have to remember the pac 3 if i ever get a car w/ sw controls. definitey something id use

·
Registered
169 Posts
sorry guys its actually a swc-3 made by pac and these modules are vehicle specific but im sure they make one for a lac i used mine in my jeep ill post pics of what ive done tommorrow

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you have the Bose system in your Deville? I do in my 94 Concours and was wondering if Best Buy would have a problem w/ it like i've noticed others have had

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
13 Participants
caddy4614