Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Sedan DeVille 4.9L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am posting in reference to my 1995 Sedan DeVille 4.9L. The radiator fan (I know there are two) is not working. I am talking about the one on the passenger side of the car, in front of the radiator.

I have tested several things including fuses, relays, and wiring the fan directly to a power source to test it and found no faults. I assume relays are fine because other systems controlled by the relevant relays all work.

Something must be wrong between the relay/fuse box and the connection to the fan motor.

Are there any common problems that may be the culprit?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,658 Posts
Hello, I am posting in reference to my 1995 Sedan DeVille 4.9L. The radiator fan (I know there are two) is not working. I am talking about the one on the passenger side of the car, in front of the radiator.

I have tested several things including fuses, relays, and wiring the fan directly to a power source to test it and found no faults. I assume relays are fine because other systems controlled by the relevant relays all work.

Something must be wrong between the relay/fuse box and the connection to the fan motor.

Are there any common problems that may be the culprit?
=====================
first - forget the dumb survey -
-------------------
this is somewhat confusing -
first you say you tested the relays -
then you say "I assume relays are fine because other systems controlled by the relevant relays all work."

the relevant relays have one job - send power to the fans -
so - do they work or not?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,372 Posts
Does a 1995 4.9 have sequential fans - one for one temp and two for a higher value ?

The Northstar cars run both fans in SLOW or FAST - what about the 4.9 cars ?

·
Registered
1995 Sedan DeVille 4.9L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the confusion! I really appreciate you all helping out with what is so confusing to me. I am not sure how to test a relay, but it is my understanding that the same relay that says power to this fan also says power to air-conditioning components. I only assumed that the relay is functional because everything else on the car works. I’m not sure what kind of fan set up the car has either, only that there are two fans near the radiator. One in front and one behind. The one behind runs when the air-conditioning or heat is on, and that fan has no issues.I am pretty sure this engine has fewer fans than the Northstar. I hope my (limited) knowledge helps you better understand the problem!

·
Registered
1995 Sedan DeVille 4.9L
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your help! Everything you all have posted has helped my understanding. It turns out that one of the wires going to the fan was broken, so we just put in a new wire and it’s as good as new. We replaced the thermostat as it was defective as well. Again, thank you all so much for helping me as I learned a ton!! Take care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts