Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Replaced radiator - oil cooler line will not fit

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  cadillac_al2 
#1 ·
1991 deville 104k miles. When my car would get warm I would see coolant running down the side of the plastic end tank. I pulled the radiator from the car and ran water through where the upper rad hose would go so i could clean it out to put in the back of my SUV. While the hose was running water through the radiator it wasn’t leaking from anywhere. Is it possible the radiator isnt leaking and there is something else wrong or would the radiator only leak while in the car due to pressure and hot coolant? There was definitely always coolant running down that side tank when the car was warm and especially after turning the engine off.

#2 ·
System pressure exposes most all leaks. Yours is probably set (radiator/coolant tank pressure cap) to 16 or 18 psi.

To double-check, rent a cooling system pressure test set from a local parts store. Cold (ambient cold) pump the system up to 18 psi or so and start searching.

#3 ·
I replaced the radiator and the oil cooler inlet line (bottom one on the driver side of the radiator). The new inlet line will not screw into the new radiator correctly. It only screws in crooked and then leaks bc it’s crooked. If i try to screw it in straight it just spins and never catches. I’ve spent probably a total of 2 hours trying to screw it in. Is there some kind of adapter i need to use? The other end of the line connected to the oil filter fit correctly and all the other lines fit into the radiator correctly. Do i just need to keep trying or is there something else i can do?

#4 · (Edited)
Those lines on the driver's side are most likely for the automatic transmission fluid cooler. You may need a threaded adapter fitting - the HELP! racks at parts stores or at a NAPA.

If the car was ordered with the optional HD cooling system (V03 on the RPO sticker) then the radiator will have an engine oil cooler in the passenger side end tank, with its own set of fittings and lines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.