Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 FWB d'Elegance, 92 deVille, 93 Seville, 06 DTS
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, my upper radiator hose was starting to seep and I figured what the heck, all the heater core hoses were replaced last year, time for the fronts. Got the new hoses in, tstat, etc and refilled the system (including the additive). Ran it up to temp, and all was looking good…until the left side tank exploded; it literally blew the hose mount completely off and made a 3 inch crack down the side (it was original 93 equipment).

Replacing the radiator looks straight forward, but everything I can find seems to be aluminum and plastic….maybe I am just old-school stupid but I really want metal side tanks. Anyone know where I can find one?

Also, while it was seeping I used tap water to refill it….our water here in phoenix really sucks and knowing the crap that got into the system is kind of keeping me up at night. Its probably got about .5 gallons total, and being that the system is being drained I am sure about 90% of it will come out, but is it worth the idea of entertaining flushing the block and heater core (chemical or otherwise) while I have it all ripped apart? (strictly in the interest of removing residue that could have been caused by this and may have accumulated in the system over the last 16 years)

Thoughts….

·
Registered
93 & 88 Allante, 88 Eldorado
778 Posts
Having a metal side tank radiator would probably be custom made and cost $$'s. For a stock type replacement, go to www.rockauto.com Mine cost me less than $150 and it was simple enough to install. Make sure when you refill your new radiator, add some barsleak tablets.

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
I also purchased a direct replacement radiator from RA=$130. Plastic tanks are just fine with the Cadillac engineers, good enough for me too. Refill your cooling system with the correct percentage of antifreeze and distilled water, not tap water and always use the sealant tabs.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
I'm a believer in aluminum radiators. Replaced the one on the wife's Fleetwood with one. A few years back I hit a deer with my Chev pickup, and bent the condenser and radiator in, big time. The radiator didn't leak a drop. If it had been the old copper type, it likely would have gushed out when the core tubes sheared off. I would go with the aluminum type. It weighs about 1/3 of the copper one too.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just picked up an alum/plastic unit from napa...they matched rockauto's price....i was just kind of hoping someone had a line on an all alum unit; I hate plastic tanks.

·
Registered
1995 FWB 128,*** miles
2,255 Posts
just picked up an alum/plastic unit from napa...they matched rockauto's price....i was just kind of hoping someone had a line on an all alum unit; I hate plastic tanks.
Plastic tanks do crak over time (just like original ones did), but they will probably outlast the car anyway. Good luck!

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
Plastic tanks do crak over time (just like original ones did), but they will probably outlast the car anyway. Good luck!

:yeah:

The originals held up for 16 years, Id be surprised it the car was still running in 2025 lol. gas will be $12/gal then probably :sneaky:

Cool that napa price matched RA. I went the RA route when my tank cracked and it was straight forward replacement. I was proud of myself when I finished. I would go ahead and flush the heater core if nothing else. I am paranoid and flush it whenever I get a chance since the one in my car had gotten so plugged up that it couldnt be flushed at all and the heater didnt work at all either. They are not fun to replace either. I started only to quickly realize it was more then I was ready for at the time and its now on my to-do list for when I have alot of free time.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got it done....and am very happy. Swapped to a 180 t-stat, previously running temp would vary between 205 and 240, now it is between 187 and 205....and i have no more pinging under light throttle, and it does not seem to be 'heat soaking" when in stop and go traffic like it was.

I am shocked at how much better the thing is acting; at first i thought it was psychological, but when the wife drove it she made mention of it too.

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
Anyone here have a p/n for the sealant tabs?? I called a dealer parts counter some time back, and they didn't know what I was talking about.

BILL

·
Registered
1995 FWB 128,*** miles
2,255 Posts
Anyone here have a p/n for the sealant tabs?? I called a dealer parts counter some time back, and they didn't know what I was talking about.

BILL
Bill, Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder in plastic tubes is the same stuff made by the same company which makes the tabs. You can buy them at any Wal-Mart for $1.44.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
Bill, Bar's Leaks Golden Seal powder in plastic tubes is the same stuff made by the same company which makes the tabs. You can buy them at any Wal-Mart for $1.44.
:eek: does this mean I could put some of my golden seal in there instead of the tabs? I have some in gel caps.

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
:eek: does this mean I could put some of my golden seal in there instead of the tabs? I have some in gel caps.
Bars leak makes some other products that are not advised. I would not use anything liquid at all. They make some that promises to fix headgaskets or other major leaks. I looked up golden seal on their website and it is a powder, but I can't tell what difference it is from the other powder tabs so I am not sure how safe it is to use

·
Registered
1990 Cadillac sedan devile
616 Posts
yeah replacing the radiator is easy . just take off the fans all the way before taking the cooler lines off bottom first then top . i did the top then the bottom and had the fan drop and smack me in the lip and busted it open .

·
Registered
'85 Fleetwood FWD
728 Posts
Thanks for the info about tabs etc. I'll have to take my wife to Walmart and show her a good time (it's a joke around home) and look for the Golden Seal powder:histeric:

Thanks HUF !!

·
Registered
93 Sedan Deville 4.9L
1,005 Posts
yeah replacing the radiator is easy . just take off the fans all the way before taking the cooler lines off bottom first then top . i did the top then the bottom and had the fan drop and smack me in the lip and busted it open .
Were you under the car when you removed it? Sounds painful having the fan fall on you.

You can actually replace the radiator from above which would probably be easiest. The only part I did from beneath was hooking and unhooking the lower radiator hose.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts