Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac Allante 1988
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have leaking radiator on my 1988 . Purchased replacement, When it arrived their seem to be one hole missing for some sot of sensor. What is this sensor for. Is it temp sending unit? What are the proper numbers for replacement unit. I think they may have shipped the wrong part. It seem that the sensor shoud be in the radiator, their is a small unit that would unscrew that the wire connects to.
Also their are some O rings behind the oil lines, anyone know the proper size? I do not want to reuse the old one.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Some less expensive brands of aftermarket radiators do not have the coolant level sensor provision. Others have it on the other side of the tank, on the engine side. You can ground the wire and do away with the feature if you want or you'll probably have to get a radiator somewhere else. The oil cooling lines do have O-rings on the ends, but the transmission cooling lines are flared fittings with no O-rings. The GM parts book doesn't list the standard size, just the dimensions, which are 10.5mm ID by 1.8mm thick. I think an 012 dash size would be best. It's a little small, but you can stretch it over the pipe and it will stay put. The 013 is a little too big, and might fall off. The actual correct size is metric 905, but unless you get lucky with a local supplier that handles them, metric O-rings will be tough to find.

·
Registered
Cadillac Allante 1988
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I would have saved hours if I had asked you first. I purchased 3 units, from $153 to $245 non had the correct port. Ran ground line and put in first unit I purchased.
I do have another question. car runs cooler with new radiator, gauge just over half way after fans kick in. Fans seem to cut in latter now. about two to three marks after center unless I put on air conditioner. Also fans go off as soon as car is turned off. I think I read you can change when the fans go on, if so how. I would be happy if fan comes on when you start the car. I have done this on my old Jags and it works fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts