Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home from Kinko's a GT Mustang pulls up next to me then launches so I catch up and we get to a red light. I turned of TC and put it on S mode. I got really good traction because of my 20x10 tires by the time we got to the next light I had him by 1.5 Cars. I excpected more from that car since its a V8.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
Depends on the driver. A stock GT 5 speed with a REALLY good driver has run a best of 13.7. A AODE Vert has ran 13.9 in the 1/4.

Good kill tho :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Who knows, maybe it wasn't a GT. Maybe the car had GT badging, bigger rims/tires, and other mods to make it look like a GT..... hmmmmm make it look like a GT. I wonder what the faVorite mod is to a regular regular CTS? :)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aeromass said:
Who knows, maybe it wasn't a GT. Maybe the car had GT badging, bigger rims/tires, and other mods to make it look like a GT..... hmmmmm make it look like a GT. I wonder what the faVorite mod is to a regular regular CTS? :)
It was definetly a GT it is very easy to tell by the rear bumper it has a stock cutoff for the dual tips.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 5sp Auto Silver Smoke with Neutral Interior
998 Posts
aeromass said:
Ah, ok...that went right over your head....

You were probably mentioning that a faVorite mod would be to make your base V6 look like the faster V8 model (be it a base mustang to GT or base CTS to V). Even though SD's CTS is a V6 with V bumbers and grills- he still beat that mustang.

But, if that guy beat em' it would have stunk up the reputation of the V. Even so, the kid would be cocky and think he almost beat a "V."

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts
Jon said:
Depends on the driver. A stock GT 5 speed with a REALLY good driver has run a best of 13.7. A AODE Vert has ran 13.9 in the 1/4.
Good kill tho :)
Those times are for the 2005 GT. A 2004 GT is only pushing 260 hp, which is without a doubt, less then what SD has. If memory serves me, the best time I've seen a last-gen (97-04) mustang pull was 14.5. If the guy was stock, not that great of a kill.

SD, was it a new body style? A 2005? If it was, then thats a great kill.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
SdMarineGuy said:
It was definetly a GT it is very easy to tell by the rear bumper it has a stock cutoff for the dual tips.
I can hear his conversation with his friends. "It was definitely a V! Big 20's and that chrome grill with the air intakes for the brakes, definitely a V!...Man I almost beat a V. And I'm in an '04!"

Not flaming, by the way, but in this era, you can't tell what a car is just by looking.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
AznPrydeRegalRyde said:
Those times are for the 2005 GT. A 2004 GT is only pushing 260 hp, which is without a doubt, less then what SD has. If memory serves me, the best time I've seen a last-gen (97-04) mustang pull was 14.5. If the guy was stock, not that great of a kill.

Nope. The coupe was an '03, the vert was an '02. I'm a HUGE Mustang guy, whore on Mustang forums all day lol.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Auto w/ Sport & Luxury Packages
555 Posts
Let's all agree on one thing, Mustangs suck. Honestly, until the most recent incarnation they were quick in the straight of way but could not turn to save the diver's life or the car's bodyword. Now, significant changes have been made for the '05 models, but they are still only Mustangs.

I have never respected Mustangs, from my early days running a Chevrolet Nova 350SS that regularly ate Mustangs off the line and to the top end. The Mustang is a compromise car, designed and styled to appeal to docile drivers who want to look aggressive and aggressive drivers who aren't willing to pay for real performance.

In the vein of SD Marine's story, here is one of my own. Thanksgiving day I had to drive from Houston to East Texas, which is a long and boring drive through some hill country with a few not very challenging turns. As I was passing through Nacogdoches, TX a Mustang starts riding my bumper. Now, I was already going about 90mph so his attempts to mate with my rear bumper were at the very least unwelcome, so I moved out of the right lane to let him past, but he just slowed down until I got back into the right lane. Apparently, he wanted me to be the blocker to get the tickets down the line so he was trying to urge me on by inducing a rear end collision at 90mph+. I could only tolerate this so long. When I finally grew tired of his antics, I simply floored the accelerator and watched the spedometer climb through 100, then 110, 120 came shortly thereafter, 130 was not a surprise, and by the time I was actually turning 140 I really started to worry. Originally, I wanted to test the governor on the sports model which supposedly tops out at 144mph but driving at 140mph is nothing like doing 110mph or even 120mph, so I backed off to around 80 so I could collect myself. About ten minutes later, as I was turning off the highway for my cousin's place, the Mustang caught up.

No, it was not a straight out race, but the Mustang driver was an aggressive SOB. IMHO, I showed him because if he really wanted to hang, he could have tried. I think he was simply taken off guard that a sedan could disappear like that, especially considering the majesty of his marque. You need to appreciate that I put up with his BS trying to push me faster for almost 20 miles before I decided to dust him.

The best part? Even at 140mph the CTS felt calm and collected. When I used to run my Nova at 120mph I was scared out of my mind because the steering was so airy and the suspension was floating. Not so with the CTS.

Thank you Cadillac!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AznPrydeRegalRyde said:

It was the older 97-04 version. I wasn't even close to me beginning from the launch and the next light where we stopped was very close by so within like 8 seconds I already had almost 2 cars on him.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Jon said:
Nope. The coupe was an '03, the vert was an '02. I'm a HUGE Mustang guy, whore on Mustang forums all day lol.
I don't get what you mean. Whats that gotta do with the times?
Are you sayin' that last gen. GT's are hittin' 13's up your way? Actually, haha, im really not sure what your saying...
I do know that no '04 GT around here is anywhere close to 14's.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
AznPrydeRegalRyde said:
I don't get what you mean. Whats that gotta do with the times?
Are you sayin' that last gen. GT's are hittin' 13's up your way? Actually, haha, im really not sure what your saying...
I do know that no '04 GT around here is anywhere close to 14's.
Yes, I'm saying that it was the last gen.

If the '04 GT isnt even getting into the 14s, that's REALLY sad. Who's driving? Any driver should be able to get a GT into the 14s EASY.

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
SdMarineGuy said:
It was the older 97-04 version.
The last two mustang generations were the 95-98 versions (I had a 97 convertible, got sunburnt every year!)

And then the revision came in 99 with the new bodywork, to 04.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
'94-98.

The 94 and 95 had the 5.0L pushrod, then they went to the 4.6L.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
AsAkAs said:
Oppsie, I've fallen from the Mustang religion, forgot! lol Not nesseceraly a bad thing ;)
hahaha, I love Mustangs. Hate the '05+ tho. Ugly retro.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Jon said:
Yes, I'm saying that it was the last gen.
If the '04 GT isnt even getting into the 14s, that's REALLY sad. Who's driving? Any driver should be able to get a GT into the 14s EASY.
Eh, sorry, I meant 13's. Noone around here is getting close to 13's. Yeah, all you need is an auto to hit 14's :)

That's nuts. Even with a stick, I just find it hard to believe that 260 hp is getting it into the 13's. It does have over 300 lbs-ft tho. If 260 hp is getting it into 13's, I can't understand why people still bash the Mustang.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts