Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just the other day, some kid pulls up to me, in a 2003 Porsche 911 Conv. Carrera 4s AWD. Says hes got a grand that he can take me. His car is stock, as is mine. With the weight of the convertible top, plus the weight of the awd system. Should I take on his bet? I believe I would have a much better chance from a roll - what MPH?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You positive he's stock? The 4S Cab isn't the fastest of the Porsches but it's still no slouch. You definitely have a better chance of winning from a roll. Again, are you really sure he's stock? It's pretty easy to hide a mini-shot of nitrous.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Anyone that confident is either packing some NOS or is so stupid he couldn't make it into his car without losing his head.

Either way, how are you going to find him again?

I'd race him just to spank him if I could, 1000 bucks is a lot on the line... But then again I'm rolling a 3.6, you V-guys are the hi-rollers of the CTS-crowd!

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
If he is in-fact stock.... driver's race.

Keep in mind he is AWD and will most likely take you off the line, plus you've got wheel hop to worry about. How much distance areyou guys racing? That will matter too.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its just a carrera 4, and I heard they are a little different in weight. I want to race from a roll, so what MPH should I ask to roll from? I live in a small area, Ill definetly see him again. And hes definetly stock. I dont know how far we will race maybe up to 130-140 from a roll.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mean I think the times for his car are 4.9/13.4.....can anyone verify?
And in the V Im probably looking at 5.0/13.2..... conservatively.

So thats about a drivers race...from a start. But from a roll, the AWD looses its purposed and is now just extra weight. So I think from a roll there is no question I will be able to pull a car or two up to xxx mph. Until about 145 -thats when the Porsche goes PEACE

If I added Volant Cai, Corsa, and a Stealth V tune. Other then 2g's deep where would I be?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Rear engine Porsche aren't exactly easy to get off the line either... wheel hop and bogging are an issue. To get the advantage out of the AWD he's going to have to pop that clutch at around 5k revs... whether he's willing or his clutch is able is a different thing.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
This info is from Porsche USA's website on the '06 4S...not sure if the stats are the same for the '03.

2+2 seater coupe, all-wheel drive
Rear-engine, 3.6 liters, 6 cylinders

320 hp (SAE) @ 6,800 rpm
0-62 mph: 5.1 sec.
Top Track Speed: 174 mph

$ 83,400 (USA)
$ 122,300 (CAN)

·
Registered
131 Posts
04CTSVFLA said:
its just a carrera 4, and I heard they are a little different in weight. I want to race from a roll, so what MPH should I ask to roll from? I live in a small area, Ill definetly see him again. And hes definetly stock. I dont know how far we will race maybe up to 130-140 from a roll.
I have plenty of Porshce experience so I am happy to chime in here! The base C4 is actually a faster car than the C4S but only by 1 or 2 tenths of a second. This is due to less drag from rubber on the ground and less drag from a lack of the turbo flares. As to performance, I think the V will rip it a new one from 70-140 but from 0-70 it will be a good run. No they are not the easiest thing to get off the line in a hurry but if you know how to drive, you can shoot out of the hole pretty quickly.

I don't condone street racing but I would only do it if you think that you are the better driver or that you are going to run to over 100MPH were you will have the clear advantage!

·
Registered
131 Posts
04CTSVFLA said:
I mean I think the times for his car are 4.9/13.4.....can anyone verify?
And in the V Im probably looking at 5.0/13.2..... conservatively.

So thats about a drivers race...from a start. But from a roll, the AWD looses its purposed and is now just extra weight. So I think from a roll there is no question I will be able to pull a car or two up to xxx mph. Until about 145 -thats when the Porsche goes PEACE

If I added Volant Cai, Corsa, and a Stealth V tune. Other then 2g's deep where would I be?
Those numbers look spot on for the Porsche, it is a published 5.1 0-60 for the C4S(same motor, more drag).

If you add a Volant, Corsa and a Sealth tune, you will have a great time and MUCH more fun with your car. That combo totally changes the feel of the car and gives you about another 35-38HP at the rear wheels if memory serves. It's no maggie but a start as you need all that for the SC anyway, or at least that is what I told myself!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input...I thought Porsches had most of there "fast" over 100mph? I could be wrong though.....

No nitrous! I had nitrous on my last car - 2 motors later......NO NITROUS!

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
I've spanked a couple of Carrera's 0-80 or 100 (2003 body style so what ever years those ran). I didn't beat these guys by much, those cars are plenty fast. None were Carrera 4 or Cab's.

I did get pounded by a 1976 RSR and a similar vintage Turbo a few weeks ago (they both whipped me at the same time). BASTADS! Who knows WTF they were powered by, but it was fun to watch the pull away.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well cab weighs alot....so that makes a difference....the awd weighs alot too....and has no use if I race him from a roll.

·
Registered
131 Posts
04CTSVFLA said:
well cab weighs alot....so that makes a difference....the awd weighs alot too....and has no use if I race him from a roll.
I don't think the rolling start would help or hurt either car. Just as long as you don't get the wheels hopping like pogo sticks, you will launch just as well. The AWD is more for all weather performance and idiot proof driving dynamics than performance. Unless we are talking the turbo where it does get you blazing off the line but I still prefer the GT2 and GT3 which are both RWD. With the GT2, it is a nice feeling to have the back end squirm around all the way to 60!

Might I suggest a gentleman's race? Racing for money as a little too Fast and Furious for my tastes!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
12 Participants
MCaesar