Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2000 STS
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the thermostat housing gasket on my 2000 STS (where the upper radiator hose connects to the engine). It looks pretty straightforward, but are there any pitfalls to be aware of? In particular, what are the proper bolt torques? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2000 Eldo ETC
16 Posts
Having had this just done by the dealer, there is a bulliten out on it. There is some special sealer that is needed. Check with your local GM Dealer for it. It is as straight forward as it looks. Pull the water pump belt off, pull the hose off, clean around the housing, and replace. Whatever you do, don't use silicone.

·
Registered
2000 STS
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I'll make sure I ask about this "special sealer" when I dive under the hood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's probably the coolant supplement tabs. Cadillac is probably afraid the mechanic will drain a lot of coolant out and replace it with new coolant, thereby decreasing the supplement concentration. The Northstar block is supposed to be succeptable to coolant going from the coolant passages to the crankcase though the porous aluminum. I've never felt comfortable asking a professional how to do a job that I planned on doing myself.:bigroll:

·
Registered
'64 Cpe Deville, '94 Concour,2012 Prius C, 2010 RAM 1500 red
163 Posts
Notice what material your thermostat housing is made of.

Cadillac supplied N* with black PLASTIC housings now they sell a "kit" that is METAL w a thermostat already installed. They say get the plastic housing off car immediately.

There may be a need for shorter bolts or use flat washers to build up.
If not it will leak upon startup.

Talk to Parts Counter guys they have a headfull of information. If you do ask about this UPDATED part try to find out the real reason they want the plastic housings replaced. I have never heard of cracking or leaking.

I hope you install goes well

·
Registered
2000 STS
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses, guys! I have a metal housing already so at least there's one problem I don't have to worry about. :thumbsup: Good point about the magic pellets; I used them on my '92 STS when I changed the coolant. I'm still wondering about the recommended bolt torque, though, if someone could check their service manual and pass those along I'd appreciate it. (Yeah, I know, I need to invest in one of my own...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts