Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
2004 ESV
Discussion Starter #1

Back tires are off the ground. With the Bilstein HD shocks I installed, I have about 3" of extra suspension travel now.

Crappy picture from the ground looking at the car.

I used the taller blocks on all 4 corners, so the lowest point gave me 18.5" of ground clearance. I can stack the shorter block on top of the taller one, and get an extra 2.25" of ground clearance. That will put me right at about 21", which will be plenty for doing most stuff under the Escalade.

Assembling the unit wasn't difficult, but the instructions are kind of vague on what fittings to use on the short hoses that attach to the lifts. There are small fittings and large fittings. The small ones fit on the short hoses, and the larger fittings fit on either end of the longer hoses. Once I got that sorted, I didn't run into any other snags. Instructions say it takes 2.1-2.5 quarts of ATF. I didn't even get to put 2 full quarts in before it was where the instructions said to fill the reservoir to. Instructions say the lines are self bleeding, but I may need to bleed some air out of one of the jacks, because it doesn't lower as quickly after the weight of the vehicle is no longer pushing down on the jacks.

One interesting thing is the instructions say don't lift the vehicle on > 3 degree incline. That seems like nothing.

Each frame is heavy. the 7000 lb units weigh 100 lbs each. The box has a skinny guy rolling one in each arm 馃槀. These are a one at a time roll into place. Also it would be helpful to have 2 people when operating this thing. One can make sure the jacks are in position while the other raises the frames. It's probably a little more difficult to line up on vehicles with higher ground clearance. The short hoses that attaches to the frame is also on the roller side of the frame. I can easily see this pinching the hose as you roll the unit around. I'll have to keep an eye on that for future use.

Overall, I think i'm going to like using it. It will certainly beat driving up on ramps, or using jack stands for times when I need more than one tire off the ground.

edit: I should add, I bought these from Home Depot. 28% off MSRP, and free shipping.

Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
View attachment 573178

Back tires are off the ground. With the Bilstein HD shocks I installed, I have about 3" of extra suspension travel now.

Crappy picture from the ground looking at the car.
View attachment 573179

I used the taller blocks on all 4 corners, so the lowest point gave me 18.5" of ground clearance. I can stack the shorter block on top of the taller one, and get an extra 2.25" of ground clearance. That will put me right at about 21", which will be plenty for doing most stuff under the Escalade.

Assembling the unit wasn't difficult, but the instructions are kind of vague on what fittings to use on the short hoses that attach to the lifts. There are small fittings and large fittings. The small ones fit on the short hoses, and the larger fittings fit on either end of the longer hoses. Once I got that sorted, I didn't run into any other snags. Instructions say it takes 2.1-2.5 quarts of ATF. I didn't even get to put 2 full quarts in before it was where the instructions said to fill the reservoir to. Instructions say the lines are self bleeding, but I may need to bleed some air out of one of the jacks, because it doesn't lower as quickly after the weight of the vehicle is no longer pushing down on the jacks.

One interesting thing is the instructions say don't lift the vehicle on > 3 degree incline. That seems like nothing.

Each frame is heavy. the 7000 lb units weigh 100 lbs each. The box has a skinny guy rolling one in each arm 馃槀. These are a one at a time roll into place. Also it would be helpful to have 2 people when operating this thing. One can make sure the jacks are in position while the other raises the frames. It's probably a little more difficult to line up on vehicles with higher ground clearance. The short hoses that attaches to the frame is also on the roller side of the frame. I can easily see this pinching the hose as you roll the unit around. I'll have to keep an eye on that for future use.

Overall, I think i'm going to like using it. It will certainly beat driving up on ramps, or using jack stands for times when I need more than one tire off the ground.

edit: I should add, I bought these from Home Depot. 28% off MSRP, and free shipping.
Nice!!! I have been thinking about buying a similar jack system. However, I just decided to use a cross bar on my floor jack to jack up one side at a time so that I still have room to work under the Escalade with it supported on jack-stands. The jack system you have seem to block much of the under body access and restrict movement to mostly front or rear entry/exit. The systems seems better for quick tire rotations than actual repair work aside from oil changes. However, I could be wrong.

Let us know how it works out for some real repair work like oil pan removal or the rear main seal repair.

My alternative(cross-beam jack adapter) to the jack systems like what you have. Plus, it only cost about $50 at Harbor Freight. Jack is about $70, so $120 oppossed to $1200+

Registered
2004 ESV
Discussion Starter #9
Transmission removal would be challenging, but anything else will be fine. Because these are only lifting by the frame rails, the middle is free of obstruction. Front of the lift is behind the front wheel, so oil pan and front diff is wide open

Registered
2006 Escalade AWD w/DiabloSport tuner,Jet Performance throttle body/MAF,Airaid MIT
Transmission removal would be challenging, but anything else will be fine. Because these are only lifting by the frame rails, the middle is free of obstruction. Front of the lift is behind the front wheel, so oil pan and front diff is wide open
I will take your word on it. I spent a lot of time just aft of the front wheels when I removed my oil pan exactly where the jack system you have is located, however I guess you could find another position that is just as effective if the need arises.

All said and done, the jack system you have seems cool to use. I really hope that is works out for you when it is time to do some real repair work.

Registered
2004 ESV
Discussion Starter #11
Used the QuickJack for some work over the weekend. Did an oil change, tire rotation, and transfer case fluid change. Worked out great. I definitely need to invest in a creeper, as crawling to the transfer case was a pain, since I couldn't access the case from the side of the vehicle.

Here's a photo taken under the vehicle. You can see there is plenty of space if you had to do work on anything from the transmission pan forward.

2011 CTS Coupe Premium
Orlando - We take orphans
I have a portable 7,000 lb medium rise lift that was $2000 delivered about a decade ago. Personally would not work under a QuickJack without additional support.

Looked into this some time ago and would consider the Atlas庐 Kwik Bay since it has the safety features I would require e.g. rollers on a steel tray and not the ground & many lock points.

ps since my SLKs are monocoque and have specific lifting points, I need to be able to select where the pad goes.

Registered
2004 ESV
Discussion Starter #13
The quickjack has stops that a support bar fits into, so even if the hydraulics fail, the stops will keep the vehicle in place. There are videos of the 5000 lb unit being stress tested with 15k lbs, and it was holding steady. The jacks are really sturdy, and weigh in at almost 100lbs per side. Welds look quality, too.

I'm pretty paranoid when lifting any vehicle I will be spending time underneath. I make sure the lifting device is solidly on the frame/mounts, and give the vehicle a little shake test to make sure it's not going to fall.

Mounting pads are very adjustable. You just put the rubber blocks wherever you need them. There's probably a good 12" in the front and back of the unit to place the mounting pad wherever you need it. "Infinitely adjustable mounting points"

Is there any particular reason you don't trust the QuickJack? It's made by bendpak, which is a respected name in the lift industry.

Registered
02' EXT
Picked one up. Great investment. I can work on my EXT in my tiny garage with ease now. Good look

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Registered
2004 ESV
Discussion Starter #19
Nice!

While helping my family clean out my grandmother's house, I found an old mechanic's creeper. It's a little worse for wear, but it will be way better than not having one. Trying to slide on my back on the concrete was a pain in the rear. This will make it much nicer to get under and out from the vehicle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts