Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Escalade
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 1at I had my front 2 windows tinted with 20 percent to match the rear factory tinted windows and it matched good. Then I decided to make the rear windows darker and had 15 percent put over the rear factory tint which hey said come out to be about 5 percent. No my problem is I want the front 2 windows to match again so do I have them remover the tint and re tint with 5 percent or would it be easier for them to put 20 on 20 percent would that be darker? Sorry for the long write up any info. wold be great.
Hanks

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac Escalade EXT
22 Posts
5% is going to be the cleanest, instead of layering, but I might add, it'll never match completely because the front doors have the windshield light coming in, whereas the back glass in the hatch area is tinted and so the side windows darken. Also, I'm a huge fan of dark tint; and always have limo put over top the rear glass with 15% over the factory 20% on the rear side windows; but 5% is awfully dark for your front doors. One thing I've done is find Llumar's Airblue windshield tint and put it on the front windshield and that can help darken up the front doors more when viewed from the exterior, but doesn't loose all your visibility at night inside the cabin. It's a tint that is to the threshold of what is legal on windscreens.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That would effectively be 7% the way I've been told to figure it when layering. I would say yes, that would make it match pretty close. I'd probably just have them re-tint it in limo if that's really what you are after, but again, Imho I don't recommend that as it is just too dark. But you know what they say about opinions. To me 15% is dark enough on the front side windows. And if you do the windshield it will match pretty good. Here are a few examples:

Everything here is 15% on top of factory on the sides and limo on rear glass, plus Airblue windshield tint.

·
Registered
2009 Escalade
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ozzy, that's a nice looking fleet of cars you have! Do you think it would be worth taking the 20 off the 2 fronts and replacing it with 15? Would I be able to tell the difference between the 20 and 15. Also I should have thought to put limo on he back instead of 15 over the factory not sure if I should change it. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,456 Posts
I've been told that tint has a plus/minus of 2. If you had some light 15 (17) or some dark 20 (18) you wouldn't see the difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks Ozzy, that's a nice looking fleet of cars you have! Do you think it would be worth taking the 20 off the 2 fronts and replacing it with 15? Would I be able to tell the difference between the 20 and 15. Also I should have thought to put limo on he back instead of 15 over the factory not sure if I should change it. Thanks again
Possibly, but as MrHolland pointed out you probably won't notice a big difference, but 15 is darker, as if you've ever just had the front windows tinted in it, it appears to match from the outside, but inside the back doors factory tint appears a little lighter, like maybe 20-25% instead of 15. Tint sounds scientific, but so much of it is trial and error. I'd leave my side ones alone, re-do the back glass in limo (this makes a huge difference and you won't be able to see through the car from the rear), throw something on the windshield, and see what you think then.

·
Registered
2009 Escalade
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of your help, I'm going to leave the front windows alone and going to put limo on the back window like suggested. Thanks again

·
Registered
'08 Escalade ESV
442 Posts
Possibly, but as MrHolland pointed out you probably won't notice a big difference, but 15 is darker, as if you've ever just had the front windows tinted in it, it appears to match from the outside, but inside the back doors factory tint appears a little lighter, like maybe 20-25% instead of 15. Tint sounds scientific, but so much of it is trial and error. I'd leave my side ones alone, re-do the back glass in limo (this makes a huge difference and you won't be able to see through the car from the rear), throw something on the windshield, and see what you think then.
I originally went with 18% up front and 25% over the back. 40% on the windshield. Just took it back in to get the windshield redone since I just just had huge crack. Had the fronts switched to 5% from the outside they are dead even. From the inside the back windows look slightly brighter. If I could go back I would have done 18 over the back as well

·
Registered
'11 Cadillac Escalade
337 Posts
I agree with Ozzy12, 5% will give you a really close match.

I have 5% up front and 20% over the factory, the front will always be slightly lighter because all of the light coming in from the front windshield unless you tint you windshield.

Cheers

·
Registered
102 Posts
I started a thread similar to this a while back before I tinted my front two windows. I am scheduled to add the strip on the front shield with 5%. The front two are now 20% and the rear are factory plus 20%=5%. I attempted to match them but its not that easy. The only way in my opinion is to strip the rear and tint them all the same percent. I am more than happy with the way my truck turned out. Please let me know what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,653 Posts
Interesting thing happen to me in NY, got pulled over for rolling through a stop sign. No ticket for the SS, but he gave me 2 tickets for tint. This is where it gets interesting.
Factory rear ESV, no tint. Tint on 2 front windows to match back. I told him the rear is factory, he said you want me to get my meter and show you it is too dark, well, i said yes. I told him again the glass is factory, its built in the glass. He proceeded to put his meter on the rear glass and said it failed, too dark. I said so every Truck from the factory is illegal. He shrugged his shoulders and said just pay the tickets wasn't worth arguing over. Also. When he pulled me over i rolled down all the windows, I've been doing this for years... They must really need $$ ...

·
Registered
2009 Escalade
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks good Flip when you strip are you going to tint just where the factory goes down on the front or further down? I have 20 on the front 2 windows and 15 over all the rest and I think it looks good. Maybe would like the front 2 a little darker but I think I will leave it alone. Maybe put 5 on the rear lift glass like others have mentioned

·
Registered
102 Posts
I will strip just a little more than what the factory has provided. My rear window is 5%. It was like that when I bought the vehicle. The funny thing is that they must has used a mirror tint because at night all you can see is your reflection from the rear view as well as physically looking at it. I think this summer I will just buy a new glass from the junk yard and start over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts