Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the proud owner of a 1988 SDV that has seen just over 300,000 miles fly under her flanks over the past 17 years, with nary a hiccup (well, maybe a few hiccups, and there was that loud belch a coupla years back that had me sink 2 grand into her, but I digress), I am having a large issue now with her blower motor.

The blower motor acts up with a ferocity that increases with the colder the outside temperature. The sounds are downright frightening at times: gurgling, bellowing, shrieking, coughing, even cursing with no regard to type of climate control activity - defrost, rear window defog, low or high fan, temp settings, etc.

Ok, so I know I have a lubrication issue (I hope that's ALL I have) that will silence the blower motor and return me to my peaceful driving pleasure.

Question: How do I get at the blower motor and is it the same drill that I had to do with my old Buick (Drill a small hole in the side of the blower's metal housing and spray graphite lube into it until it shuts the f++k up?)

Enquiring minds need to know! Please advise,,,,,

·
Registered
88 Sedan Deville, 89 Eldorado, 11 SRX, 18 CT6
130 Posts
usually, the blower motor is sealed. on the 88, it's not hard to get to, as its right on the firewall, follow straight back from the air cleaner flex area, to the firewall, its lower and left of the vaccum box. there is a wire goin into it. the motor is similar to the motor for your radiator fans. ive got an 88, changing the fan is not that hard. i'd recommend buying a new one though, my car's only got 175,000 on it :)

·
Registered
2003 STS w/BoseNav, 1993 Deville, 1985 Deville
1,089 Posts
I changed the blower on my 85, but that had the 4.1 engine. It was easy. I don't know if the bigger 4.5 gets in the way of pulling the blower on your '88. Might as well replace it if you intend to keep it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts