Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
i have around 600 miles and i'm getting mine done tomorrow. Another member Aero1 did his at 1k and said it was black as mud.

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V
239 Posts
Considering how fuzzy the drain plug on my 07 vette was at the first oil change (5,000 miles), there's no way I'm waiting that long on the CTS-V. I've got 1,100 miles on the CTS-V and the next oil change is scheduled for the first available weekend.

·
Premium Member
2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual
1,371 Posts
I'm planning an all fluid change-out at about 6 to 7 hundred miles. Only have about 200 miles on the car now ... :D

Rob

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Considering how fuzzy the drain plug on my 07 vette was at the first oil change (5,000 miles), there's no way I'm waiting that long on the CTS-V. I've got 1,100 miles on the CTS-V and the next oil change is scheduled for the first available weekend.
Yea except the V2 doesnt even have a magnetic drain plug :mad: , i verified this through the dealer. Thats why I had them put on a "filtermag" even before i left the dealer with '4' miles on the new girl

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I did mine at 1,908 miles and the oil was very dark, almost a black tar in color. It has to be due to the amount of break-in material present in the oil and the fact that the factory AC Delco PF48 oil filter doesn't do the best job of filtering. I can't see how GM could think that the engine would be ok to run the oil until the oil life monitor gets down to 0%.

When they pulled my drain plug out, I verified that the factory didn't install a magnetic drain plug like the Corvettes have. On my next oil change, my V will be getting a Corvette LS3 magnetic drain plug. I will pick one up from my local Chevy dealer before heading over to the dealer's express lube.

I also did my tranny and diff fluid swap when I did my first oil change and went with Amsoil for the tranny and diff fluids in addition to Amsoil 0w30 synthetic and Amsoil EA oil filter (protects for 35,000 miles or one year) Just a precaution if you are going to go with Amsoil rear diff fluid, GET THE GM LIMITED SLIP ADDITIVE! Amsoil's LSA still causes rear end chatter. I found this out the hard way. GM's LSA has the right ingredient to keep the rear diff quiet and running smooth.

I would have swapped out my engine oil at around 1,000-1,500 miles, but the Amsoil tranny fluid wasn't available in California, so I had to wait and I racked up a few extra hundred miles.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

SG

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
hey aero what was your oil monitor % at the time you had your first oil change ? and how were your driving habits ?

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
hey aero what was your oil monitor % at the time you had your first oil change ? and how were your driving habits ?
Oil life monitor was at 77% and while I drove it at WOT at times, it was always on the highway cruising at 65-70 and then up to 100+ speeds.

I wasn't really hard on the car when I first got it, but I didn't baby it either. I hope that makes sense.

SG

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just did mine Sunday with 894 on it. Filter was a tight sumbitch needed an oil filter wrench. Oil was dirty but not black. I will say the oil stayed hot for a very long time.
Does the Vette magnetized drain plug have the o ring like ours?
I was also installing an air horn and was amazed at the maze of various cooling lines and 5 radiators (that I could see) in the front.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Oil life monitor was at 77% and while I drove it at WOT at times, it was always on the highway cruising at 65-70 and then up to 100+ speeds.

I wasn't really hard on the car when I first got it, but I didn't baby it either. I hope that makes sense.

SG
i have about 650 right now with 89% oil life. Mostly 40-60mph street driving. Not babied too much either. I want to cut the oil filter to see how many metallic particles the filter mag held but not if it means running the car w/out it.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
40 Posts
I changed out today with 515 miles. The lube tech looked at me cross-eyed, said I wasn't due yet. I told him, do it anyway.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is there a special filter I need if in case I don't get it done at gm? I figured mobile 1 syntec. I will check manual also

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
but if I went to a qui k lube they could do it ? I don't have time to a schedule with gm

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
rocketeer,

All the Corvette mag drain plugs have a built in o-ring. If they didn't, there would be a good seal created.

Razorecko,

Wear eye protection when cutting that oil filter open and an apron! LOL! You will make a mess!

aburd,

Get the Amsoil 0w30 oil and Amsoil EA oil filter. Best combo and best protection you can buy!

You can order your Amsoil here: https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/default.aspx?zo=1683845

Hope this helps!

SG

·
Registered
2009 CTSV, silver, manual
213 Posts
Some of you have mentioned that the oil gets black fast. I know with the diesel vehicles I have owned that the engine oil turns black very quickly, due to the very high compression and cylinder pressures and the blow-by that causes. But diesel oils are somehow built to absorb the contaminates, and the oil change intervals can be as long or longer than a gas engine even though the oil looks like black tar. Diesel engine techs say the oil itself is still good even though it looks bad.

If the LSA has similar high cylinder pressures causing cylinder blow-by, blackening the oil, but the oil itself remains intact and able to provide protection then the oil change interval suggested by the onboard computer might be correct. I agree that changing the oil early can do no harm, and might do some good. I just wish there was a positive correct answer as to when to first change the oil.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Some of you have mentioned that the oil gets black fast. I know with the diesel vehicles I have owned that the engine oil turns black very quickly, due to the very high compression and cylinder pressures and the blow-by that causes. But diesel oils are somehow built to absorb the contaminates, and the oil change intervals can be as long or longer than a gas engine even though the oil looks like black tar. Diesel engine techs say the oil itself is still good even though it looks bad.

If the LSA has similar high cylinder pressures causing cylinder blow-by, blackening the oil, but the oil itself remains intact and able to provide protection then the oil change interval suggested by the onboard computer might be correct. I agree that changing the oil early can do no harm, and might do some good. I just wish there was a positive correct answer as to when to first change the oil.
When I had a Chevy Silverado Duramax and I changed the oil, the oil was instantly black right after putting clean oil in it. Diesel engines are extremely dirty running.

It is up to you on when you want to do the first oil change. You can do it at 500, 1,000, 1,500, 2,000 miles or based on the oil life monitor recommendation. It's your car and there is no real right answer on when to change the oil. Most CTS-V owners will just go by the oil life monitor or when the dealer tells them the oil needs to be changed.

SG

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
62 Posts
I did mine the 1st time at 750 miles, and did it again last weekend at 1500 miles.

The factory oil appeared to be thinner than the Mobil1 5-30 I use and had a gold tint to it like it had a moly lube or something, it was slightly dirty (but not black), and had negligible shavings. I used a Delco PF-48 oil filter both times. I saved the OEM oil filter, I do that with all my domestic cars, but did not cut it open. 6 quarts fills it to "Full" on the dipstick perfectly.

At the 2nd change the oil came out looking very clean, the change was probably not necessary for a while longer, which tells me my engine is happy with the Mobil1 and Delco oil filter.

I did not reset the monitor at the 1st change, it was down to 73% when I reset it last weekend at the 2nd change.

I'm going to change mine based on time every 4 months going forward as my car will get driven about 5K miles a year, and I'm sticking with the Mobil1 5-30 and Delco filter.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
522 Posts
I was going to wait until the OLM was at about 25%. That's what I did with my STS N* on the first change and every one after. Never had a problem and it was running smooth as the day I purchased it when I traded it in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts