Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Deville
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the temps were below Zero my dash never read below 6 degrees. While my wife's and daughters cars both showed the correct temp of -5. Does the Deville not read negative temps or do I have another issue. Today its reading 19 when its actually 17 thinking a sensor issue. I checked the sensor attached to the hood latch, no physical damage. Just a creature comfort issue for me.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,802 Posts
A new sensor is dirt cheap at a NAPA or from RockAuto. 2 minute plug & play.

You might try disconnecting the sensor plug and see if there's any moisture in there - the sensor IS in the direct line of road spray.

·
Registered
1998 Deville
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Sub...Is there a calibration for the sensor. Replaced the sensor and its close now, still off by five degrees (If not I guess I got to live it being wrong).

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
No calibration. It's a thermistor and the readout depends on varying resistance, maybe check for corrosion at the connector.

·
Administrator
69,802 Posts
Those ambient temp sensors need to move down the road for a few tenths of a mile before the reading is anything close to correct - if the car is sitting, remember that thing is 6" in front of the radiator and A/C condenser = radiated heat.

·
Registered
1998 Deville
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cab I hit the connector with some contact cleaner and the temp I used was after driving for about ten mins down the highway. But like you said its right in front of the radiator.

·
Administrator
69,802 Posts
It should have been within a couple of degrees of dead-nuts correct after 10 minutes of driving. Mine's pretty close - Years ago I checked it against one of those remote-reading Radio Shack indoor/outdoor thermometers and a hand-held thermometer stuck out the window - all agreed within a degree or two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts