Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I had the moon roof open, I closed it to wash the car. Got back in the car and it didn't open. I can hear the mechanism running and moving back and forth but the glass doesn't move.

However, when I bring it to the close position, it pops up then seals back down like it always does upon closing it.

The vent button does open and close it.

I think something just came off or unhooked but I've never had one of these apart. Is it something I should look at or just take it into the shop?

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
First check the owners manual for instructions to re syncronize the moon roof. If not fixed go to a auto glass shop before a dealer for reccomendations.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see anything in the manual about re synchronize. Do you know of a procedure ?

First check the owners manual for instructions to re syncronize the moon roof. If not fixed go to a auto glass shop before a dealer for reccomendations.

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Premium, Saturn Vue XR
493 Posts
Sounds like the linkage came loose, first check the screws on both sides to see if there intact. My guess is the link for the motor came loose. You may have to pull the headliner off to see it...happened on my Buick Ultra.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are 4 screws which appear to be a Torx like screw. I think they're all there but they do have play in them. That's to say that when I operate the vent I can see them move in the hole slightly

Because of issues like this, I've never had a moonroof before so I don't know what's normal and what's not.

All guidance is appreciated.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,102 Posts
What I know about sunroofs is zippo, but I just checked the 4 Torx in mine and they're tight.

As far as I go is drain tube cleaning - beyond that it's my $$$ talking.

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. It's at the dealer for an OnStar upgrade so I asked them to look at this as well. I know someone said to go to a glass shop but if they'll take care of it under my 60 day lemon law then it's no cost to me.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok so the dealer says that the control module is bad and it's $970 to fix. I'm having a difficult time believing that the control module is broken when I can hear everything working.

I also have a difficult time believing that the part is $970

OK Scrap that. They're calling it the 'module' but they're referring to the 'Housing' or basically the entire no serviceable frame of the moonroof. So I had a moonroof for 2 weeks and I can tell you I'm not spending $1000 to fix this one.

Not a happy camper.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Control module is around $60.00, it is possible to fix yourself as long as you have the time. What kind of labor charge does the dealer want?

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You didn't read the whole post. I hate when I do that. LOL

They called it the 'Module' but they meant the entire frame which I guess is a non-serviceable unit.

I called a glass shop today and they said if that's whats wrong then the price is accurate to fix. Even getting the part from a scrap yard.

Control module is around $60.00, it is possible to fix yourself as long as you have the time. What kind of labor charge does the dealer want?

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yesterday my wife sent a, not so nice email to the dealership. Today I got a call asking about my concerns.

Without getting into the long story, they've agreed to pay for half the repair if I choose to have it done.

I though that was pretty admirable.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
And you might call your insurance agent regarding comprehensive insurance coverage under possible vandalism coverage. Everybody thinks comp is only for windshields.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts