Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
06CTS-V BOLT-ON,06JEEP TJ BUILT, 91 350SDL turbo(daily)
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im going to cartek in garwood nj soon to get my headers with none catted down pipes ,magnaflow exhuast put on and dyno tuned ... should i port my throttle body and intake manifold while its down there ? and does anybody know about how much i can gain from that setup...i have a 2006 ls2 V

·
Registered
2012 CTS-V Sedan, 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
3,547 Posts
im going to cartek in garwood nj soon to get my headers with none catted down pipes ,magnaflow exhuast put on and dyno tuned ... should i port my throttle body and intake manifold while its down there ? and does anybody know about how much i can gain from that setup...i have a 2006 ls2 V
I have kooks, no cats and Magnaflow. I put down 363/361. You should be somewhere near those numbers. All dynos are different.
Word on the street says that with ported intake and TB you may get 10rwhp. From what I've read those gains are once you add serious power like a cam or supercharger.
I would say hold off on the porting until your next mods.
You will love the sound of Kooks/no cats/Magnaflow.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have kooks, no cats and Magnaflow. I put down 363/361. You should be somewhere near those numbers. All dynos are different.
Word on the street says that with ported intake and TB you may get 10rwhp. From what I've read those gains are once you add serious power like a cam or supercharger.
I would say hold off on the porting until your next mods.
You will love the sound of Kooks/no cats/Magnaflow.
I agree with whisler. I would port it now. Id wait for the CAM or Ms. Maggie.
Cowan

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cartek is 15 minutes away from me and my cuzin got his zo6 cammed there and they did a great job i went to talk to max at cartek and there was a alllll blacked out ls2 v getting a maggie and some other mods...is TTP better? cause i have a shore house near it and ill go there instead me and my friend with a G8 gt are trying to decide which one to go to im free to suggestions.

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
If you're just getting headers and a tune then I don't think it matters which one you go to. I think they both have decent reputations.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
o yea and any particular reason not to port my intake manifold and throttle body ? cause cartek will do both for 400

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
What are your future mod plans? IF I were you, I would save that $400 and put it towards a cam install.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
cartek is 15 minutes away from me and my cuzin got his zo6 cammed there and they did a great job i went to talk to max at cartek and there was a alllll blacked out ls2 v getting a maggie and some other mods...is TTP better? cause i have a shore house near it and ill go there instead me and my friend with a G8 gt are trying to decide which one to go to im free to suggestions.
I was just looking for your thoughts, actually. Similar to you, between the two, it'd really be a toss up for me that comes down to distance. Cartek is a bit more of a trip for me, but, if you speak ever speak with Dave, he is one of the most nicest and most helpful/informative guys around.

If you're just getting headers and a tune then I don't think it matters which one you go to. I think they both have decent reputations.
Yeah that.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Porting an LS series plastic intake manifold is a myth. No one really does this. Look at the manifold. Just where would you port it? The only place would be where the manifold fits the heads - and they fit almost perfectly as is.
Porting the throttle body makes some sense, and delivers maybe about 8-10 increased rwhp.
You may be considering the FAST intake, but in my opinion it is mostly eye candy best used on really big-inch motors. The stock LS6 intake will out perform the FAST at most rpm levels. Where FAST shines is comparing a 90mm throttle body Fast to a 78mm throttle body LS6 - not an equal comparison.
You can put a 90mm onto an LS6 intake. Lingenfelter and TPIS both sell a so-modified LS6 intake. This change is much more dramatic than just porting the 78mm throttle body.
As for removing Cats, that in my opinion is an obsolete mod that exposes you to some very heavy liability should a law officer decide to enforce federal emission laws. You will already attract some attention with loud exhausts. Without the cats you cannot pass a simple "visual" inspection. The reason cat removal is obsolete is that small hi-performance cats today deliver all the emission requirements plus their horsepower drop is very small.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Porting an LS series plastic intake manifold is a myth. No one really does this. Look at the manifold. Just where would you port it? The only place would be where the manifold fits the heads - and they fit almost perfectly as is.
Porting the throttle body makes some sense, and delivers maybe about 8-10 increased rwhp.
You may be considering the FAST intake, but in my opinion it is mostly eye candy best used on really big-inch motors. The stock LS6 intake will out perform the FAST at most rpm levels. Where FAST shines is comparing a 90mm throttle body Fast to a 78mm throttle body LS6 - not an equal comparison.
You can put a 90mm onto an LS6 intake. Lingenfelter and TPIS both sell a so-modified LS6 intake. This change is much more dramatic than just porting the 78mm throttle body.
As for removing Cats, that in my opinion is an obsolete mod that exposes you to some very heavy liability should a law officer decide to enforce federal emission laws. You will already attract some attention with loud exhausts. Without the cats you cannot pass a simple "visual" inspection. The reason cat removal is obsolete is that small hi-performance cats today deliver all the emission requirements plus their horsepower drop is very small.

my v is an ls2 i already have a 90mm throttle body... then besides headers intake tune with out going inside my engine what should i do to gain some hp

·
Registered
2005 Platinum CTS V-Headers+3in pipes
3,012 Posts
do you guys think a ported 90mm TB off of an LS2 is a good upgrade versus just getting my stock LS6 Tb ported??

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think most tuners will tell you that the LS2 intake manifold is inferior to the LS6, in almost all respects.

I have an LS6. Started with a stock throttle body. Then had the throttle body ported. Next I swapped my LS6 manifold for a TPIS-modified LS6 manifold ($350 exchange I think) onto which I installed a stock LS2 90mm throttle body at about $210 Then I had the LS2 throttle body ported (forget what it cost).

At each instance I noted (sorry, no dyno comparisons) power increases. But the most dramatic increase was when I installed the 90mm LS2 throttle body onto the modified LS6 intake manifold.

Incidentally, there are no problems with this swap. It bolts right up with no worries or plumbing mods required.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I think most tuners will tell you that the LS2 intake manifold is inferior to the LS6, in almost all respects.

I have an LS6. Started with a stock throttle body. Then had the throttle body ported. Next I swapped my LS6 manifold for a TPIS-modified LS6 manifold ($350 exchange I think) onto which I installed a stock LS2 90mm throttle body at about $210 Then I had the LS2 throttle body ported (forget what it cost).

At each instance I noted (sorry, no dyno comparisons) power increases. But the most dramatic increase was when I installed the 90mm LS2 throttle body onto the modified LS6 intake manifold.

Incidentally, there are no problems with this swap. It bolts right up with no worries or plumbing mods required.
Thanks for the good info. Were there any driveability issues with these various combinations - particularly the last one - that made tuning more difficult?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Drivability issues with 90mm throttle body: I used the stock LS2 (later ported) throttle body on an intake manifold modified by TPIS. Incidentally, TPIS has done a fair amount of research into the best way to glue a 90mm throttle body adapter on to an LS6 intake. They told me their glue alone costs over $700 gal. Now have 40k miles on this combination. There have never been any drivability issues. It drives just like stock, but with more power. These throttle bodies have no cable attachement. It is throttle by wire, which means throttle position is always matched to intake demands and thus no bogging at WOT.
Myron Cottrell of TPIS is an old friend. We've known each other for 50 yeas (yes, I am a geezer). We have identical CTS-Vs, except his has a 90mm TPIS billet throttle body. Driving both back-to-back Myron and I both agreed that the throttle reponse with the TPIS throttle body was crisper. We did not do a dyno comparison, but top end power was quite close with maybe an edge to the TPIS throttle body.
TPIS also modded my ecu. Their first effort was typical of most tuners, which is to lean out an over-rich WOT condition in the open loop mode. Last September they dug into my closed loop mode with an eye to increasing gas mileage. What they did was reduce idle speed a bit, advance ignition timing and lean out cruise air fuel ratio. I like this mod a lot. There is an immediate gas mileage increase. Hard to say just how much, but it is more than 1 mpg. I drive with a ScanGauge which can monitor ignition advance so I am able to compare ignition retard which occurs when knock is sensed. Ignition retard on WOT seems to be the same as before.
Finally, the reason I elected to go with the ported LS2 vs. TPIS billet throttle body was the stealth factor. The TPIS billet is big, beautiful and bold, but it could draw some attention by the dealer at warranty time. At the time of installation I was having some warranty issues on my transmission (replaced).

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Drivability issues with 90mm throttle body: I used the stock LS2 (later ported) throttle body on an intake manifold modified by TPIS. Incidentally, TPIS has done a fair amount of research into the best way to glue a 90mm throttle body adapter on to an LS6 intake. They told me their glue alone costs over $700 gal. Now have 40k miles on this combination. There have never been any drivability issues. It drives just like stock, but with more power. These throttle bodies have no cable attachement. It is throttle by wire, which means throttle position is always matched to intake demands and thus no bogging at WOT.
Myron Cottrell of TPIS is an old friend. We've known each other for 50 yeas (yes, I am a geezer). We have identical CTS-Vs, except his has a 90mm TPIS billet throttle body. Driving both back-to-back Myron and I both agreed that the throttle reponse with the TPIS throttle body was crisper. We did not do a dyno comparison, but top end power was quite close with maybe an edge to the TPIS throttle body.
TPIS also modded my ecu. Their first effort was typical of most tuners, which is to lean out an over-rich WOT condition in the open loop mode. Last September they dug into my closed loop mode with an eye to increasing gas mileage. What they did was reduce idle speed a bit, advance ignition timing and lean out cruise air fuel ratio. I like this mod a lot. There is an immediate gas mileage increase. Hard to say just how much, but it is more than 1 mpg. I drive with a ScanGauge which can monitor ignition advance so I am able to compare ignition retard which occurs when knock is sensed. Ignition retard on WOT seems to be the same as before.
Finally, the reason I elected to go with the ported LS2 vs. TPIS billet throttle body was the stealth factor. The TPIS billet is big, beautiful and bold, but it could draw some attention by the dealer at warranty time. At the time of installation I was having some warranty issues on my transmission (replaced).
Thanks again. I too like the stealth approach because I have an extended warranty. I don't mind underwriting whatever the motor needs myself, but would like to keep the warranty alive for the other things.

So if I wanted to replicate your final setup where would I get a modifed LS6 intake? (or have mine modified?) and where would you suggest I get a ported LS2 throttle body. (The TPIS webiste does not seem to list those).

·
Registered
476 Posts
I got my LS2 throttle body ported by TPIS. They also make the modified LS6 intake manifold, which they sell on an exchange basis. Suggest you call them. Talk to Jim Hall or Myron. It is a small shop, and they are very friendly. You can also get the modified LS6 manifold through Lingenfelter, but it is the same as TPIS's as TPIS makes them for Lingenfelter. Incidentally, the FAST intake does not fit the C5 Corvette, which is why this is a popular mod with Corvette folks.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I got my LS2 throttle body ported by TPIS. They also make the modified LS6 intake manifold, which they sell on an exchange basis. Suggest you call them. Talk to Jim Hall or Myron. It is a small shop, and they are very friendly. You can also get the modified LS6 manifold through Lingenfelter, but it is the same as TPIS's as TPIS makes them for Lingenfelter. Incidentally, the FAST intake does not fit the C5 Corvette, which is why this is a popular mod with Corvette folks.
Thank you. I will check it out.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
What makes you think the FAST will not fit a C5? A quick google search provided me more than enough evidence to believe otherwise.

http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vemp_0708_2003_chevrolet_corvette_z06/photo_14.html

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/midwestern-members/1050953-fs-fast-all-motor-c5-corvette.html

1 - 19 of 19 Posts