Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2L Silver
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just changed the front strut on my 2003 Cts. Wanted to make a quick list of what has to be done and tools. Not the best DIY but just a quick references.

Jack, Jack stands, Socket (8mm,13mm or 1/2, Deep15mm, Deep 18 or 3/4mm)
Hammer, Flat Head, Wd-40
Strut compressor (rent at auto zone $50 dep)
Not need made life easier Impact Gun, Air Wrench

Order
1. Jack car use jack stand for support.

2. Removed wheels 3/4 Socket.

3. Removed Battery 13mm on battery bracket, 8mm for the terminals (must remove in order to get 5th bolt on strut mount off.

4. Remove.Stay Bar links 15mm bolt, might have to use jack and raise lower control arm a little to remove. When lower the arm you need the space to pull the strut out later. I Used a impact gun, if you cant loose the bolt because the link start spinning. Use a wrench and an allen key to remove and tighten.

5. Removed Two lower Strut bolts, 13mm It a little easier with a long extension.

6. Spray wd-40 on upper control arm ball joint. Remove 15mm bolts, use a flat head and with a hammer wedge along the gap on the Hub (not where the ball joint meet you will damage rubber seal). Use either a punch to remove upper ball joint or hit the upper arm should slide right out. (when you remove the ball joint make sure you support the hubs, tie a wire around it, if not the weight of the hub will put pressure on you brake hose, (might break).)

7. Remove Five Strut mounts bolts 18mm socket

8. Remove Strut

9. Use compressor on Struts, When tension Release use a 15mm to take nut off.

10. Put new Strut on, Reverse order.
Sorry no pictures. Everything off the top of my head, while im at work. Hope it help someone out.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,875 Posts
I'll post a break down pic from the dealer when I get home. Hopefully you could use it to tell us exactly what you were referring to. Just like BlackCadillac. I'm a visual learner.

KOT

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,875 Posts
You only have one chance to edit a post. With in 5 minutes of posting, or before someone else responds. So at this point you have to reply. I suggest to reply with quote from your original post. And put the pictures in the place where you want too.

KOT

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2L Silver
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey just changed the front strut on my 2003 Cts. Wanted to make a quick list of what has to be done and tools. Not the best DIY but just a quick references. I used 2 KYB Struts #551605

Jack, Jack stands, Socket (8mm,13mm or 1/2, Deep15mm, Deep 18 or 3/4mm)
Hammer, Flat Head, Wd-40
Strut compressor (rent at auto zone $50 dep)
Not need made life easier Impact Gun, Air Wrench

Order
1. Jack car use jack stand for support.

2. Removed wheels 3/4 Socket.

3. Removed Battery 13mm on battery bracket, 8mm for the terminals (must remove in order to get 5th bolt on strut mount off.

4. Remove.Stay Bar links 15mm bolt, might have to use jack and raise lower control arm a little to remove. When lower the arm you need the space to pull the strut out later. I Used a impact gun, if you cant loose the bolt because the link start spinning. Use a wrench and an allen key to remove and tighten.

5. Removed Two lower Strut bolts, 13mm It a little easier with a long extension.

6. Spray wd-40 on upper control arm ball joint. Remove 15mm bolts, use a flat head and with a hammer wedge along the gap on the Hub (not where the ball joint meet you will damage rubber seal). Use either a punch to remove upper ball joint or hit the upper arm should slide right out. (when you remove the ball joint make sure you support the hubs, tie a wire around it, if not the weight of the hub will put pressure on you brake hose, (might break).)

7. Remove Five Strut mounts bolts 18mm socket

8. Remove Strut

9. Use compressor on Struts, When tension Release use a 15mm to take nut off.

10. Put new Strut on, Reverse order.
Everything off the top of my head, while im at work. Hope it help someone out.
Sorry didnt know how to edit my original post. Pictures were borrow from original post. I'm just borrowing them for my references. This link they replaced the original struts with adjustable coil overs also the pictures are from a cts-v both about the same without the sway bar on top. http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/gcinstall/index.html

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2L Silver
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The kyb I put in i got the front pair from ebay. I Paid $202 free shipping. So far had them on for a year. The Suspension Seem fine. Just a note if you suspension is right rough or that every time you hit a lil bump it sound like a pot hole. Check your air pressures. When i change my front tires the guy put 36psi in them everything feel like huge potholes. I put the air back to oem 30psi and the suspension definitly alot smoother. The sticker for your tire pressure is on the rear driver side door.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,869 Posts
to get the bolt off the top its better to use a gear wrench on the bolt with a adjustable on the shock rod to stop it from spinning.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,869 Posts
I don't understand what you are asking...
Car in air, wheel off:front struts:
You unbolt the strut tower bolts, there are 5 I think, 1 is hidden under the battery.
Then there are 2 bolts on the strut where is connects to the lower control arm I think it is.
Apply downward pressure to the lower control arm to get more space, then remove strut assembly.
Rear struts:
Remove seats and the the trunk liner, unbolt top strut tower bolts (2 each) unbolt strut from lower area, can't remember where it bolts to off habd but it should just fall out

·
Registered
2005 Cts 3.6 Auto
472 Posts
I hear ya .....

Strut is off the car

New strut is waiting to be installed.

But I need the bushing/bellow/bumper componets off the old strut.

I need the pieces under this plastic tube.....including the tube. It doesnt want to slide off.

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
I hear ya .....

Strut is off the car

New strut is waiting to be installed.

But I need the bushing/bellow/bumper componets off the old strut.

I need the pieces under this plastic tube.....including the tube. It doesnt want to slide off.

i didnt understand what you were talking about either, but the pic helps...you just have to be a man about it and force it off...my drivers side was a little tough but i just spun it and pushed down until it started to slide

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.