Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is in the wrong forum, but I figured I would get a better response in this forum. My brother is thinkling about getting a Catera for his wife. He saw something about the timing belt breaking and messing up the valvetrain. I was wondering how often this happens and if it is anything to be worried about? I know I have the Northstar and I've heard all the problems about them, but I don't have a problem with mine and I love it. Also would like to know a reasonable price for a 98 Catera with 36k, all options but sunroof and cd player. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Check www.autotrader.com for prices in your area. The timing belt is a common issue with virtually every car that utilizes a timing belt instead of a chain. Usual interval is between 60-80K miles on most cars. Check with your local Caddy dealer on the Catera to be sure. Many engines are what is known as an "interferance engine". In ither words, when the timing belt or chain breaks, the valves will come in contact with the pistons. The resulting damage can be, and usually is catastrophic.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts