Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: This coming weekend I am going to look at a 1984,, 2 door,,, Coupe Deville ! Can anyone tell me a little about these Cadillac's before I go looking,,, Such as

1 What did they have for engines ?

2 what were the good points and weak points ?

3 what was the average mile per gallon of these cars ?

4 Does anyone know of any web sites that I could look at info,, or spec's on these great looking 2 doors ??

I'm not sure but I was hoping that they ran the Chevy 305 or 350 engine,,,, can anyone help me on this ?

Any answers to these questions would be a great help on helping me decide to come back to General Motors from a long time at Ford ....

Thanks in advance,,,,, :)

Dondo :rolling: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The car uses the LEGENDARY HT4100 and unfortunately, in that application (longitudinal mount) it is the only choice you have for A "BOLT-IN" engine swap. FWD HT4100's can be easily swapped for the newer (and better) 4.5 or even better 4.9 Caddy V8.
The best engine swap for that car would have to be the Olds V8. any 307, 350, or even 403 will fit in the car easily. They will however require some changes in other componentry such as the trans, driveshaft, engine mounts, engine harness, etc.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Don't keep the HT4100 what ever you do! It'll drive you back to FORD! That would be tragic!

·
Registered
266 Posts
kcnewell said:
Don't keep the HT4100 what ever you do! It'll drive you back to FORD! That would be tragic!
My experience with the 4100 wasn't pleasent either :banghead: . Thankfully I didn't change name brands but I'll never buy another 80's car again.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
kcnewell said:
OR RICE!!! :mad: :rolleyes: :D :banghead:

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Thanks, I found it, and immediately decided it had to be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats too bad

After reading all the positive imput about this car,,,,,, I'm strarting to think I should leave a Caddy alone !!:(
Would you susgest a year that would run a Chevy 350 engine,,, and be rear wheel drive ??:confused: I am after the highest towing rating I could get,,,,, SHORT of being a truck :rolleyes: !!

Any suggestions from anyone ??? :)

Thanks again

Dondo :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
You shouldn't necessarily leave Cadillac out of your list, Just stay away from the HT4100 engine. ( And maybe '80's Cadillacs in general ) That engine had a lot of issues that were properly addressed in later incarnations like the 4.5 and 4.9 which are both very strong reliable engines that make plenty of power/torque.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Re: Thats too bad

Dondo said:
After reading all the positive imput about this car,,,,,, I'm strarting to think I should leave a Caddy alone !!:(
Would you susgest a year that would run a Chevy 350 engine,,, and be rear wheel drive ??:confused: I am after the highest towing rating I could get,,,,, SHORT of being a truck :rolleyes: !!

Any suggestions from anyone ??? :)

Thanks again

Dondo :banghead: :banghead:

'94-'96 Fleetwood might be the ticket for you. Personally, I think they're the best Cadillac you can drive.
:burn:

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
You definitely wouldnt be impartial to that :rolleyes:

They are good, and are more reliable than the northstars (which are reliable also). The only thing bad about them is that it is hard to find parking spots big enough!!!!!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yeah Wes, I agree!.....F**kin' Tight Squeeze ( FTS )

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'll agree, 94-96 is the way to go if you're towing. I think I remember hearing they're capable of 7100lbs with the right equipment. I'm sure Katshot can confirm or deny that number. I've tested this theory. I believe it's feesible. Strap a 5500lbs '73 Eldo convertable to the back with a tow bar connected to a class 1 hitch on a base model Fleetwood with stock brakes and 2.56 gears for few hundered miles. It made it through with flying colors. If one is out of your budget though, I would also suggest the early 90's Fleetwoods as well. Basicly the same chassis, SBC 350 and probably a better quality tranny. Should still quite sutable for the challange.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Scrapyard... Could you tell me what years Fleetwood used the 350 engine ? I know some of them used the 305 engine,,, and a rep from pace performance told me I would have to redo the computer to use a 350 CI engine,, is this true ? What I am looking to tow is a 26 ft boat for a total of about 4 miles to the launch ramp... I would be using either 355 or 373 rear gears.... I am an older Chevy man at heart,, but have been in a Ford for the last 12 years,,, and its time to come home to GM .... :eek:)

Thanks for the imput everyone,,,,,

Dondo

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
If your only going a few miles, about any caddy will do, but the fleetwood would be the best. You can get a 94-96 with the tow package (rare option), which has a tranny cooler (i think, theres a little mini radiator in front of the big one), an electric fan on the radiator, and a different rearend.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The Fleetwood NEVER used a 305. YUCK!!
Actually it was a 307 Olds motor. And the Fleetwood comes with a trans cooler even without a trailer-towing package. And finally, the earlier 350 engined Fleetwoods ('90-'93) used a derivative of the Chevy truck engine so they would be every bit as good at towing as the later LT1 powered cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
7 Participants
Katshot