Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you with Escalades with the factory Navigation system, how do you like it? Is it worth the money? How accurate are the DVD-based directions? Is there any truth to the rumor that it plays DVD movies as well? Is there anything unique about how it operates? Anything else I hould know?

Thanks,

-Nick

·
Registered
5 Posts
The DVD nav directions are pretty good but not perfect. Sometimes it will give the wrong exit number but it tells you to turn at the correct spot. The system has a slow response time for the buttons on setup so you have to take your time. It also doesn't let you input most information while driving which I don't like. The user manual is terrible so you have to play with it a lot to learn all of the features. One of the best features is the auto router. If you take a wrong turn or just decide to take a different track it will automatically recalculate the route and start giving the new directions. Overall, I am happy with it and would purchase it again.

Stan

·
Registered
2 Posts
feanwt said:
For those of you with Escalades with the factory Navigation system, how do you like it? Is it worth the money? How accurate are the DVD-based directions? Is there any truth to the rumor that it plays DVD movies as well? Is there anything unique about how it operates? Anything else I hould know?

Thanks,

-Nick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Nick;

I have a 04 Escalade Ext with the Bose Navigation (Factory) I also own a Lexus with navigation system. The Cadillac system is VERY hard to program destinations (it uses a tiny joystick button) and you should keep valium handy when trying to put in an address.
Other than that it actually looks better than the Lexus sytem, but from a functional standpoint Cadillac needs to make it much more "hands free". If you program a destination in you must take you hands off the wheel and stop the vehicle to stop it from talking to you. Lexus is a touch screen system and you can easily delete destinations and program addresses.
In summary, it looks better than Lexus, but is not nearly as "functional".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Kentl said:
Hi Nick;

I have a 04 Escalade Ext with the Bose Navigation (Factory) I also own a Lexus with navigation system. The Cadillac system is VERY hard to program destinations (it uses a tiny joystick button) and you should keep valium handy when trying to put in an address.
Other than that it actually looks better than the Lexus sytem, but from a functional standpoint Cadillac needs to make it much more "hands free". If you program a destination in you must take you hands off the wheel and stop the vehicle to stop it from talking to you. Lexus is a touch screen system and you can easily delete destinations and program addresses.
In summary, it looks better than Lexus, but is not nearly as "functional".
I should note that the Nav units for '05 and newer full-size GM trucks are all touchscreen. It's still a PITA to enter info due to having to stop first, but there's no slowdown from the joystick anymore.

The new units will NOT play DVD movies or any other DVD-based content other than the approved Nav discs out of GM. Well, they won't unless someone modifies them to behave differently. I've seen "plug-in" devices that allow any video source to play over the screen, but they're fragile and complicated. Frankly, you're better off with an aftermarket head if you're looking for in-dash video.

The screen is useful for other things, though. Seeing a full screen of info for XM is nice, for one.

For the O.P., I like how the Nav works, despite it's minor quirks. It's pretty accurate, and fairly fast. However, the street names are sometimes goofy, as they're usually marked with their more "official" names instead of the more common names. For instance, in the Mpls/St. Paul area, we have MN Hwy 62 that most everyone calls "Crosstown". The Nav system still refers to it by it's numerical designation.

And, for the record, I've got an '05 Nav unit in an '04 Denali that was NOT equipped with it from the factory. If you decide to not do the Nav now, and want the factory unit later, I know a 3rd party supplier (non-eBay, too!) that sell units they get directly from Delphi, the *exact same units* that GM uses. It comes complete with GPS sensor, the DVD disc, and full instructions on how to DIY (about 2-4 hours if you've never done any install work before). Total cost is about $2500 or so. It's been a few months, but I can dig up the link to the company, if you'd like. Hit me at racermd at G Mail.

My real suggestion, though? Try to get a 24-hour test drive with a vehicle that has the Nav in it and really test it out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think its a safe bet that if the factory navigation remains how it was in 2004, we will not buy another navigation-equipped GM again. IMO, the navigation system is useless. Here are some of the things I hate about it.

1. The database isn't very complete.
2. You have to stop the car to put in directions
3. You have to stop the car to put in directions
4. You have to stop the car to put in directions (see a pattern?)
5. You cant disable it while the car is moving, so you are stuck listening to it if you remember you needed to go somewhere else other than the inputted destination.
6. The Joystick is evil. It only works properly like maybe 40% of the time.
7. I wish it had ways of calculating more than one route without it driving you crazy. (THE STREET YOU WANT ME TO GET ON IS CLOSED! I NEED TO TAKE A DETOUR! STOP TRYING TO TAKE ME BACK TO THAT STREET!!)
8. How come it can't take you to residential addresses? In my experience, I have not been able to put ANY residential address onto there, only business addresses. That is also very annoying and makes it useless IMO.

edit: The fact that they use official names and not common names doesn't really bother me. I know the official name and common names of just about all of the streets in my area, so it doesn't bother me too much. Besides, in just about every single city I've been to, both names are often listed on the streets.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I do not have nav in my Escalade, but do in my M5 and Jag, and I have to say that neither of those units work very easy, or very well. :(

·
Registered
2007 Escalade EXT
670 Posts
psykiv said:
I think its a safe bet that if the factory navigation remains how it was in 2004, we will not buy another navigation-equipped GM again. IMO, the navigation system is useless. Here are some of the things I hate about it.

1. The database isn't very complete.
2. You have to stop the car to put in directions
3. You have to stop the car to put in directions
4. You have to stop the car to put in directions (see a pattern?)
5. You cant disable it while the car is moving, so you are stuck listening to it if you remember you needed to go somewhere else other than the inputted destination.
QUOTE]

I have the 2004 Nav and agree that it's far from perfect but ...
the data base is simply the disc and they can be updated.
Yeah, it sucks that you have to stop to input a destination.. pretty stupid no matter how you look at it.
As for disabling it... it "can" be disabled while moving...
I do it all the time .... mostly when heading home and get to a point where I know where I am.
There is .... suspend guidance... on one of the Nav menu screens ...
just push it and it stops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts