Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to take my car in for the rear differential whine. Has anyone had their differential replaced? Did it cure the problem? Did the whine come back on the new differential? Did the car seem as "tight" as before (after they pulled the rear out)? I appreciate any replies. I am terrified that the service dept. will mess something up.

·
Registered
2017 CTS-V
1,670 Posts
I had my differential replaced. Took them more than a week but it came back with a lot less whine that it went in with. The whine, however, has gotten worse since. I don't think it will be fixed until GM designs a new rear-end...

·
Registered
CTS
107 Posts
I had mine replaced at 18,000 miles in September of 2003. Dealer was going to replace the gears. However, the dealer was advised by GM to return the entire assembly to GM's engineering for a teardown and inspection. GM shipped a replacement to the dealer prior to the removal of the "howling" assembly. It has been nearly 17,000 miles later and there is no noise from the rear differential. :)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
mine was replaced last month and howling is gone but my car is whiny. Also i can hear *zinging* noise under hard acceleration. Anyways it's kinda weird now that there are 3 different part# for the rear diff. :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had mine replaced 2 weeks ago and all is ok so far no howling/whine. They gave me a breakin sheet for the next 500 miles i.e. donot accerate at a quick rate etc. The dealer sent the old rear end back to Cadillac for investigation. :hmm:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts