Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2014 Cadillac 2.0t luxury model with 40,000 miles, the car drives great and was just wondering with seeing people post about piston failure and everything left me skeptical about doing any modifications to the car. Has anyone had any problems with their 2.0t engine with similar years ??

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD
250 Posts
congrats and welcome. I will be honest with you. this platform is not a modification friendly platform. the 2.0T LTG is probably the most fickle engine I have ever modded. my advice (and this is advice of a 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T Lux owner who just spent $8k to replace his piston failure engine) if this is your daily. I wouldnt mod the engine at all. unless you want to go all the way and build your engine for that purpose aka forged internals. otherwise you will most likely at some point have a piston blowup. its really a pay to play type vehicle.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac ATS4 performance 2.0T
1 Posts
congrats and welcome. I will be honest with you. this platform is not a modification friendly platform. the 2.0T LTG is probably the most fickle engine I have ever modded. my advice (and this is advice of a 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T Lux owner who just spent $8k to replace his piston failure engine) if this is your daily. I wouldnt mod the engine at all. unless you want to go all the way and build your engine for that purpose aka forged internals. otherwise you will most likely at some point have a piston blowup. its really a pay to play type vehicle.
Best advice I've received is use only high quality oil/fuel and stay on top of maintenance you should be fine. Look into BNR for a time. The tune makes the biggest difference and can help avoid piston failures due to custom timing for your vehicle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Completely agree, I cooked a LTG in 1 month, I just built one starting with internals and working my way out, I’m about 8k into the build, last dyno 375 to the wheels, fuel sender not keeping up, expect 400HP to the wheels

·
Registered
'14 2.0T RWD Manual
3 Posts
Just sharing my experience. I have a '14 ats lux rwd manual that I have been slowing modifying and have never had an issue.
Got the car @45k miles
ZZP stage 1 and flex fuel conversion @50k
Full exhaust and clutch/lightweight flywheel @75k
ZZP intercooler, charge pipes and larger throttle body @90k
I am now at 115k miles and again, have not had a single issue with the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hear about that. But In all honesty I just want to do a muffler delete and like a intake nothing to drastic I don’t want to tune it or anything until I have the money to replace major parts if something does fail. I heard people putting tunes in the car are most likely to have piston failure rather than just having a exhaust put on and a intake and little things in that nature. I could be wrong but that’s why I’m asking and I appreciate everyone’s answers

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Completely agree, I cooked a LTG in 1 month, I just built one starting with internals and working my way out, I’m about 8k into the build, last dyno 375 to the wheels, fuel sender not keeping up, expect 400HP to the wheels
Would I have less to worry about if I just did a simple muffler delete and added a intake and not even mess with the tunes and stuff

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD
250 Posts
Would I have less to worry about if I just did a simple muffler delete and added a intake and not even mess with the tunes and stuff
if you did an intake and a muffler delete it shouldnt really change much that the engine and ecm cant handle. its when you start tuning that it adds to the complication.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T Luxury AWD
250 Posts
Best advice I've received is use only high quality oil/fuel and stay on top of maintenance you should be fine. Look into BNR for a time. The tune makes the biggest difference and can help avoid piston failures due to custom timing for your vehicle
I used in my prior engine Mobil 1 approved oil all the way up until it blew. I changed my oil in 3-5k intervals. the piston issue is just a gamble. just trying to prepare him for what can easily happen in this engine regardless of oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts