Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is my first post. Id like to start by thanking all that have posted very useful and cost saving information. Thanks!
That said I havn't found an answer to this senario:
I have a 03 esv.
I was under the impression that the awd is a mechanically conected together system, as in if one front and one rear wheel (at least) isnt spinning then something is broke.?
One 10 degree f morning in the first 15 feet of driving i turned the wheel all the way to the left to begin climbing the incline the road pavement makes out of my driveway and i was stuck.
I rolled down the window and with light throttle could see the rear tire spinning on a frozen puddle, driver front not moving, i asked the wife roll your window down and look at the front and rear tire, "are either spinning?" " no " she says the whole time i was lightly on the gas spinning that one rear tire effortlessly at 10-15 mph.
So I backed up straightend wheel drove out of there, down to my gravel pit where I began a little horseplay here and there to see that awd was working. And it was spinning three sometimes all four.
My question is - Is there something electronic that engauges the front when it detects wheelspin?
I could understand something like that failing to work for a minute on a cold morning but more importantly is there a curcuit somewhere a switch could be added to to disable it from " kicking in"?
Id appritiate someone who knows explain how it was possible for me to spin one rear?
Thanks

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I have had this happen before myself this past winter
The all wheel drive system is fully mechanical and will work as it should when the traction control nanny doesn't interfere

If you look you will see a button with the little car that has lines behind it press this button and the all wheel drive system will do as it should

I have driven on my road and it fully covered in ice without a problem as long as the traction control was off(there is be a message and a light telling you it's off)

----------

I forgot
Welcome to the forum
You will enjoy it

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for the reply.
Do you think that the center dif was momentarily "open" from perhaps a fluid vicosity issue due to the cold temp or do you think something electrical didnt engauge yet?
I had an explorer with an auto 4x4 setting,the manual says it engauges so quickly by wheelspeed detection that the driver cannot detect spinning, all well and good ay speed but crawlin through sand told a different story as you could see in the tracks how the wheels shuttered every few inches kicking in and out till it was nearly stuck then switched to 4 low and drove out no spin.
Anyway does the escalade kick in and out of awd as it sees fit? By taking speedsensor info and engaging to keep the wheels moving the same speed?

----------

Ps: I nearly always disable traction control unless hop in and forget, cant say 100% that i did that morning tho.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
The traction control tends to defeat the porpoise of the all wheel drive system

I think it is a vicious coupling in the transfer case(would have to check my service manual to be sure)

Normally when the traction control detects wheel spin it applies the brakes to that wheel to "regain" traction but sometimes it can hinder the wheels traction on ice

----------

I forgot to mention I have had my truck in teen digit temps and didn't have a issue with the all wheel drive lagging from the cold

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks
Ya, besides that one morning I've had no issues in the cold or colder temps than that, we get 40+ days of below zero here in northern ny.
Oh btw is the starter supposed to keep starting if you "misanticipate" and let off the key?
I figure it must b to stop from flooding itself if you let off before it starts.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Yes as it is controlled by the pcm(power train control module)
It also has a feature to prevent you from"grinding" the starter

If your pcm ever fails on the data stream from the tac(throttle control module) the pcm will disable the starter and prevent you from starting the truck(I speak from experience on this)
Btw these truck have drive by wire throttle which is also controlled by the pcm

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see. Yes starter grinding should be a thing of the past with modern tech.
Fly by wire is a lil touchy in the bumps lol
Probly half the effort of a cable.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I haven't had a issue with the drive by wire throttle on my dirt road as far as it keeping the engine speed steady

I think the anti grind feature has been in use since the 90's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts