Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just got the TH400 for my 500V8. I'm new to the automatic performance. How do you determine what torque converter you use and exatly what do they mean by "1400-2500 rpm stall converter"?It came out of a 1978 Fleetwood. I don't know if this will help but...I'm building my Caddy to sneak up on people and teach them not to mess with the big black Cadillac. I would like it to have good take-off power but what I would really want is to be able to cruise it at 55-75mph and slam the skinny peddle down to the floorboard and take off like a bat out of hell.(just in case some jerk doesn't want me to get in front of him :wave:and tick him off by giving him the 'Thank you' wave:wave:)
Of course it wouldn't hurt to lay down some rubber too.:burn:

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Very simply stated; the stall-speed is the RPM at which the converter locks-up and moves the rest of the drivetrain.
High stall speed converters are useful for engines that have higher RPM powerbands. Your engine has plenty 'O torque to spare and should not require one. A "shift-kit" is something that can allow you to custom tailor the shift points and shift firmness of the tranny.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So then I don't need a stall converter and that a good shift kit is all I need? Cool!!

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More than likely it will be a stock rebuild with an RV cam. I want this car to handle well on the road. It gonna be more of a cruiser and a hwy runner than anything else.

·
Registered
1994 STS - pearl white
140 Posts
If you're going to use an RV cam (gobs of low-end torque, not so much at the top end) then a mid or high stall converter would be a poor choice. It would let the engine rev up out of the powerband too easily. No point in making the torque if you're just going to waste it.

A factory-RPM stall converter is a good idea. A beefier-than-OEM converter wouldn't be a bad idea if you have to buy one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts