Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS Luxury II
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Just joined the forum but been around cars my whole life. My father, brother and I like to revive old forgotten cars as a hobby on the weekends. Everything from brakes, clutches, engine
rebuilds, bodywork etc. Wanted to join the forum to get the opinion of some experts. I currently drive a 2001 Lincoln Towncar, and I decided its time for a change of scenery.

I found a 2006 DTS Luxury II for sale. Green Silk. 118,000 miles. From the pictures I was sent the car is immaculate both inside and out. It has a clean CarFax(for whatever that's worth). The current
owner who owns a used car lot, uses it as his personal daily driver. He bought it from an auction. He has it for sale at about $2,500 under KBB value. I know the general things to look for when buying
a used car. Check the oil, make sure the trans fluid isn't burnt/too dark, check tires, look at the under body for rust/past accident evidence, check coolant for oil and vice versa etc.

My questions are as follows:
I know they are prone to oil leaks and coolant leaks, 55+ mph front end shimmy, HID flicker, taillights with a bum LED, but anything else I should have a sharp eye for?

I plan to immediately drain/refill the cooling system with DexCool(I'm hoping someone has changed it in the 9 years/118,000 miles). Any specific brand coolant these cars like best?
Does the 2006 need the GM coolant supplement tablets?
I run water wetter in some of my old cars and I know keeping these Northstars cool is paramount, should I run it in this cooling system?

Also planning on dropping the transmission pan, cleaning/replacing filters/refill with fresh fluid(I know it doesnt do all the fluid, but dont want to do a full flush).
Any brands these transmissions like the most? Additives recommended?

Thanks in advance for all your help. I hope to be joining the Cadillac family very soon.

----------

Sorry for the strange formatting of my original post, not sure why it did that.

·
Registered
2011 cadillac dts
556 Posts
No need after 2004 they fits the issue with the head gasket. You could used a tipe of universal coolant or dex cool approve any brand. The oil leak even on my 11 dts with 122k mile it leaks .

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
Crossover Gaskets will be needed at sometime. It starts very slowly no loss of coolant or noticeable leaks for a year or two. You will only tell when you shut the car off and have a faint smell of coolant.

You can look at the 4 crossover gaskets for the chalky Dexcool residue but, the best way is to look close to the fire wall end of the last 2 upper and lower crossover gaskets just above the tranny. If it has been leaking for a while you might see a small pool of coolant on top of tranny.

This is hard to see and you will need a good flash light.
The 10 manifold bolts are usually loose as well. 10mm and do not over tighten.

I think it is a steal for $2500.

·
Registered
2006 DTS Luxury II
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@grullon10-Thanks for the advice on the coolant, after reading for a week the endless debates, I think I'm going to stick with the DexCool. Are the coolant supplement tablets needed in a 2006?

@Tom's Caddy-Thanks for the advice on the coolant crossover gaskets. I will take an extra close look in the areas you outlined. Do you recommend I check and retighten the manifold bolts? Also I wish it was $2500, but hes asking $5000, which is about $2500 under KBB value on the car.

Does anyone else have any input on what to look out for? Do these transmissions like a specific brand trans fluid?

Thanks everyone for your help so far, its greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
The transmissions "like" DEXRON-VI fluid - regardless of what color bottles it comes in.

DEX-COOL is DEX-COOL if it is marketed as such. Change it every 3 - 4 years.

Water wetter is a warm, fuzzy gimmick. The engine has a thermostat set to begin opening at 188 and fully open at 206. Nothing on earth will (hopefully) lower coolant temperature - and for what reason ???????

No sealant tablets and no snake oils in the coolant, engine, or transmission.

GM discontinued the use of sealant powders and tablets in about 2006 - and their use was simply to prevent nuisance weeps and subsequent dealer warranty comebacks. If you have no leaks, why dump crap (ginger root and walnut shell) into the cooling system ?

Bar's Leaks tablets #HDC or powder #G12BP.

·
Registered
2006 DTS Luxury II
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Submariner409 - Thanks for your candid responses to all my questions, I really appreciate it.

Hopefully the next time I respond it will be with a picture of my new DTS.

Thanks again everyone for all your help.

·
Registered
2006 DTS LUX III, 2006 DTS w/sunroof & navigation (scrapped), 1997 ETC (Sold)
209 Posts
Just to give you some idea what repairs may be in store for you based on my experience so far.....

I purchased mine last April as is with 93,000 showing. I travel 125 miles per day, at least 5 days a week. I always buy a second hand unit for this duty.

Whomever ever owned it before performed zero preventative maintenance so I had to play catch up.....

Now a little over a year later it is showing 130,000 miles. Great car! Goes 10,000 to 11,000 miles before the OLM calls for an oil change. Never needs make-up oil. We had a terrible winter this year, bad driving conditions and a lot of sub-zero weather.
It is terrific in the snow and on ice, also never failed to start. I am satisfied with it.

Now here is a list of what I have repaired or replaced, bear in mind that I am fussy and want my second hand commuter cars to be in top mechanical condition. I sometimes have to make longer trips with it into Mass and Conn, it may even take me to Philly next month.

When purchased...
New tires, new aftermarket rims (2 of the OEM rims were bent and could not be balanced), new front brake pads and rotors. New L&R headlight bulbs, replaced turn signal / DRL bulbs with LED versions (OEM bulbs were melting the internals of the headlight housing).

Mid-summer 2014..
Front wheel bearings (both sides, replaced with Timken brand), front struts and strut bearings, rear shocks, complete 4 wheel alignment. New torque strut. New battery (still had the original 2006 battery in it)..

Winter 2014/2015

New spark plugs, new water pump (weeping coolant), new water manifold gaskets, new thermostat, new water pump belt, refilled with fresh Dexcool. Repaired heated/cooled seat connections at control module under RH seat.

Last weekend

New rear brake pads, rotors and rear wheel bearings (Timken of course).

I feel that this is not bad for a used as is car and look forward to getting a bunch of miles out of it. I don't mind having to spend some time and money to keep it in top shape.

·
Registered
2006 DTS Luxury II
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all of the responses. You've all helped me a ton. I bought the car yesterday, already ordered new Timken front wheel hubs(left front is starting to whine). The car is absolutely gorgeous, no dents or scratches, not a sign of rust anywhere. The interior is extremely comfortable and the ride it like nothing I've felt before. Thanks again everyone.
IMAG22991.jpg
IMAG22971.jpg
Yes, the one parking sensor is popped in, need to re secure it soon.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III
338 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all of the responses. You've all helped me a ton. I bought the car yesterday, already ordered new Timken front wheel hubs(left front is starting to whine). The car is absolutely gorgeous, no dents or scratches, not a sign of rust anywhere. The interior is extremely comfortable and the ride it like nothing I've felt before. Thanks again everyone.
View attachment 307042
Yes, the one parking sensor is popped in, need to re secure it soon.
Very nice. Congratulations. Enjoy your new dream car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts