Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends,

I have a 2015 Cadillac ATS 2.0 (VIN 1G6AG5RX9F0117732) with 130,000kms on it. Besides two accidents from the previous owner that both hit the right door, absolutely nothing has gone wrong with this car. I daily drive and put 120km on her everyday.

I want to get a couple of mods done for more power since I am off warranty however I do not want to have a piston failure. I plan to do full exhaust, CAI, catless downpipe, large throttle, tracey lewis catch can and intercooler with a ZZP tune.

My question is, are forged internal going to be necessary for this? I'm not sure what production dates had the piston issues which is why I included my VIN. Could someone steer me in the right direction? Love this vehicle and want to bring out more of it. Any advice is helpful!

·
Registered
653 Posts
The piston issue can affect any LTG from any year. They didn't change the pistons or the rest of the engine, all the recall did was change out the spark plugs to ones that were a step colder and they changed the tune to better protect itself. This was done early on in 2014 and was very likely LSPI, something that has happened on several higher output, direct injection engines like the one in the Veloster Turbo and GTI. Anywho, the mitigation was deemed good enough that by the 2015 model year (like yours), they actually increased torque from 260 to 295, all through the tune, no hardware changes.

I'm not going to say you're safe to mod and tune your engine without going to forged internals, but it does look like a lot of other people on here have done so, from 2013 to 2018, without any issues.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Sergio is correct about reliability; there are no guarantees especially when doing mods. Basic bolt-ons don't require new pistons if the motor is solid. Your replacing most of the intake tract, so you might want to clean the intake manifold and look at the valves for build-up when doing this. Start with a clean motor. After installing everything and the tune, log for knock & A/F ratio and you should be OK if the logs show minimal or no knock and reasonable A/F.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts