Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Why would it. Premium gas has never improved the performance of any other car.

Premium is made specifically if your car requires premium to eliminate a spark knock. (Many cars made between 95 and 2002 needed premium to eliminate that knock.) Now, most cars have a computer chip that eliminates the spark knock when driver is using regular fuel.

Save your money. Eliminate the confusion of placebo effect.

X

·
0 Posts
Mr love. With all the time spent with "Scott" he never explained fuel with you when he extensively went over emissions? Have you never owned a car before? Is differing fuel octane new to you?

·
Registered
Cadillac
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It states 87 octane but no where does it say premium gas.

He told me regular gas at the pump.. No E-85

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Why would it. Premium gas has never improved the performance of any other car.

Premium is made specifically if your car requires premium to eliminate a spark knock. (Many cars made between 95 and 2002 needed premium to eliminate that knock.) Now, most cars have a computer chip that eliminates the spark knock when driver is using regular fuel.

Save your money. Eliminate the confusion of placebo effect.
those sensors will make the computer retard the timing, which lowers power and fuel economy. so yes, you can run regular. but if you have a car with advanced timing, it will benefit you to use premium.

Use what the manufacturer recommends. They designed the car, they know what is best for it.

·
Registered
09 CTS DI FE3
416 Posts
those sensors will make the computer retard the timing, which lowers power and fuel economy. so yes, you can run regular. but if you have a car with advanced timing, it will benefit you to use premium.

Use what the manufacturer recommends. They designed the car, they know what is best for it.
Totally agree. The car is capable of running just fine on 87 but will perform it's best when run with higher octane. This isn't true for many cars but in this case it is. Will you notice the difference in power, maybe, maybe not. I have a C6 that can also run on 87 but it's recommeneded to go with premium. I know many members that say they use 87 and haven't noticed a change in power.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
my maxima used to run on 87, but then I had the timing advanced from 15 to 17, so now I have to use 92, otherwise I get pinging at low rpms.

and it should be noted, that knock sensors do retard the timing to prevent detonation, but they arent instantaneous, you have to get detonation to occur before the sensors can sense it and tell the computer to retard the timing. So you will still get a little detonation which will damage your engine over time. Not to mention it is annoying when you stomp on the loud pedal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts