Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
00 Catera
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, heres the scoop. I have a 2000 Catera that I love driving. I got it from a local used car dealership. It didn't run when I got it, and quickly found out that the previous owner didn't take care of it at all. Once I got it running, and it warms up, I have a ticking noise. It sounds like a lifter on the passenger side head. I have good oil pressure. I've changed the oil 4 times within 1000 miles. At first I used all kinds of crap to help clean the engine out, since I found so much carbon in the oil pan. It has been 400 miles on this last change, and I'm using 10w40 with 1 qrt of marvel mystory oil. (sp)

NO change in the lifter tick. The valve cover is weaping a little oil, just enough to smell it, not enough to get the header wet. (its burnign off)

I have an intermittent issue with the trans not shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Very rare, but it does happen once in a while. The level is fine.

My bose radio doesn't remember the base settings. So when you change stations, you need to adjust the base again.

The good.

The car runs strong. Everything is working but cruise. I upgraded the brakes to the GTO calipers in front, and cross drilled and slotted rotors all around. All the calipers are red. The car is black. Sun roof, loaded. I added a rear trunk lip spoiler.

Total invested with the purchase of the car, is around $1400 give or take a few hundred.

Question is this: Should I buy a set of heads, and rebuild them, and then change them out on my current engine with 114K, replace the timming belt and tensioner? Total could cost around $800'ish

Buy a 3.2L which still would need a belt, around $1500'ish

Or sell the car, and use that as part payment on a used CTS?

I do like my Catera, but it needs to be my daily driver soon.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get some current pics up today.

·
Registered
00 Catera
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, I put a new fuel pump in, and rear window regulators, rear head rest, spoiler, GTO Calipers, and rotors, and front tires on it. Fixed the leaking oil filter adapter, and new RTV on the oil pan, new crank sensor, and had the ABS mod rebuilt.

·
Registered
2001 Catera
49 Posts
i absolutely love driving my 2001,bought new,but two years ago i finally gave up and regulated it to weekend,hobby car duty...i can't imagine having one for a daily driver....

·
Registered
1999 Catera Sport
677 Posts
All ours (5 withing family and close friends) work fine as daily drivers. I can tell you that you have to save your bass along with your presets (adjust the bass level to each specific station then save it under that station). Even if you replaced your motor, you have a very nice, clean, and should be a long lasting $3k cadillac. Even if you got an 03cts you'd still have the same motor,.....

·
Registered
00 Catera
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So to set the base to each preset, do I adjust it, then hold that preset button down, holding it for a few seconds?

·
Registered
00 Catera
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the radio took the bass settings. Thanks. Never knew the radio would let me set the tones to each station. That's pretty cool. One less thing I need for the Caddy.

·
Registered
00 Catera
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhhh! I want my tires to say IRONMAN on them!
Had to get a cheap set of tires, so I can drive it, while I find a set of 17" or 18" wheels. The other brand they had in catera size, didn't have a good looking tread.

So now I'm looking for new wheels. :bouncy:

·
Registered
1999 Catera Sport
677 Posts
Look for some bbs, i almost bought a set off ebay but they sold a few days too early. Search saab wheels as well, they share our 5x110 lug pattern, and are the most common car with the pattern.

·
Registered
00 Catera
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got Eibach (sp) lowering springs for the car. 1" drop in rear, 1.5" in front. Now to work on the wheels.

·
Registered
00 Catera
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how much did you have to pay for all these upgrades of yours? Did you get everything from ebay for 70$$

I paid $40 for the GTO Calipers, $140 for the 4 rotors that are cross drilled and slotted. $70 for the Eibach springs. $50 for my ABS modual to be rebuilt. All from Ebay.

$230 for a new Delco Fuel Pump (I worked for GM at the time) and $50 for new GTO Ceramic pads in front. $210 for 2 new tires, and $150 for 2 window regulators, glove box, 2 head rests, all the lug nut covers, and a few relays from someone here on this message board.

Total into the car, plus the purchase of the car, less than $1500

And I've been driving it daily now for a few months. I'll park it here and there to drive my Jimmy, but I love my Caddy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try putting in a litre of auto transmission fluid in your engine (make sure you have room for it) and run it about 2-300km. Then change the oil and filter.
Cleared up every noisy hydraulic lifter I ever came across

1 - 20 of 20 Posts