Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 CTS wagon 3.0 with the bose sound system. This weekend I visited another guy with a 2012 wagon and I was helping him do some work on his.

That's when I noticed he has speakers in his "d" pillars (in the trunk of thr wagon) and a subwoofer in his spare wheel. Was this an additional option on the bose sound system?

Can it be retrofitted?

Thanks

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 sedan
2,592 Posts
You will get more useful responses with a thread title closer to your question - something like "A question about CTS wagon speakers".

According to the brochure, there are two speaker configurations for the wagon: a 7 speaker system that was standard on the base and luxury models and a 10 speaker system that was standard on the performance and premium versions. The latter does not appear to have been options available on the lower trim levels and the 10 speakers are bundled with the following package: "CD player with 10-speaker Bose 5.1 surround sound system, MP3 player, 10 GB for music storage, AudioPilot noise compensation, RDS and USB audio connectivity".

The base 7 speaker Bose system is not 5.1 surround sound. So the question is less can it be retrofitted - because any speakers can be - and more "how will it sound with the additional speakers and without the 5.1 surround system set-up?

Good luck.

·
Registered
2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon*Luxury 2016 CTS V-Sport Premium
2,981 Posts
yes...my 2014 Sport Wagon Luxury only has the 7 speaker Bose stereo...none of the other perks but we did get the 6 CD changer for those of us still listening to CDs...

Reactions: Acezx

·
Registered
'12 CTS Performance Sports Wagon AWD
3,329 Posts
The amplifier is in the area in front of the spare tire well. This section just lifts up. Look at your amplifier. It will either have 3 or 4 connections. 4 connections is the 10 speaker setup and 3 is the 8 speaker setup.

Even the low level radio has a subwoofer on it. If yours does not then you can certainly add one as it is on the amplifier.My sedan had the subwoofer in it with the base radio. To change from the 8 speaker setup to the 10 requires significant rewiring of the system and is not for the weak of heart. I was not aware that the base wagon doesn't have a subwoofer. I would expect them to have one.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will get more useful responses with a thread title closer to your question - something like "A question about CTS wagon speakers".

According to the brochure, there are two speaker configurations for the wagon: a 7 speaker system that was standard on the base and luxury models and a 10 speaker system that was standard on the performance and premium versions. The latter does not appear to have been options available on the lower trim levels and the 10 speakers are bundled with the following package: "CD player with 10-speaker Bose 5.1 surround sound system, MP3 player, 10 GB for music storage, AudioPilot noise compensation, RDS and USB audio connectivity".

The base 7 speaker Bose system is not 5.1 surround sound. So the question is less can it be retrofitted - because any speakers can be - and more "how will it sound with the additional speakers and without the 5.1 surround system set-up?

Good luck.
I am guessing most of the optimization is in the amplifier, so in theory, with the amp and those speakers and subwoofer...it should bolt up...famous last words lol. I am coming from German cars (in particular VW, Audi and BMW) where most stuff like this can be retrofitted. I will do a bit more digging.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The amplifier is in the area in front of the spare tire well. This section just lifts up. Look at your amplifier. It will either have 3 or 4 connections. 4 connections is the 10 speaker setup and 3 is the 8 speaker setup.

Even the low level radio has a subwoofer on it. If yours does not then you can certainly add one as it is on the amplifier.My sedan had the subwoofer in it with the base radio. To change from the 8 speaker setup to the 10 requires significant rewiring of the system and is not for the weak of heart. I was not aware that the base wagon doesn't have a subwoofer. I would expect them to have one.
Awesome, i have a starting point. The guy has his factory radio, as he switched to a tesla style android tablet. I have also been able to track down someone parting out a wagon with the 10 speaker config, so i will get the speakers, amp and associated wiring.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
The harness goes from the radio to the amplifier. You would also need one of the 10 speaker radios. The speakers are all different as well as potentially the wiring. It is a major ordeal, If you go through the process to do this you might as well add the Navigation radio as well as the wiring is the same. You can NOT use an 8 speaker radio with the 10 speaker amplifier. The lower end radio works much like a regular radio with amplifier volume working in relation to the volume put out of the radio, The higher end HD and Navigation radios send a solid signal to the amplifier and use a databus to talk to the amplifier to tell it how to handle volume. If your car has the Tesla style radio it likely won't work with the higher end amplifier unless they have a way to handle what is considered a "digital" amplifier. Assuming you have the stock amplifier I would say you just need to find the wires that go to the sub woofer and connect those to one. I have a thread about the amplified subwoofer I am using. I replaced the OEM sub with a very nice aftermarket one. I would suspect your car had a subwoofer and the original owner removed it. Check your plugs for open sockets. The sub woofer should have either 2 or 4 wires. I think 4 but I don't remember. I can probably find the wire positions and colors when I get back home.

Difference between the 8 speaker and 10 speaker system for the subwoofer is that the 8 speaker system use the system amplifier to power the subwoofer. The 10 speaker system uses a speaker mounted amplifier to power the subwoofer. I believe my subwoofer is a Cerwin Vega 12" with remote controls. 300 watt amplifier and cost $300. This subwoofer has low power inputs and high power inputs. Should work with either system. If your system never had a subwoofer you may have to add wires to the harness but that is very easy to do, The amplifier should be outputting power regardless.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The harness goes from the radio to the amplifier. You would also need one of the 10 speaker radios. The speakers are all different as well as potentially the wiring. It is a major ordeal, If you go through the process to do this you might as well add the Navigation radio as well as the wiring is the same. You can NOT use an 8 speaker radio with the 10 speaker amplifier. The lower end radio works much like a regular radio with amplifier volume working in relation to the volume put out of the radio, The higher end HD and Navigation radios send a solid signal to the amplifier and use a databus to talk to the amplifier to tell it how to handle volume. If your car has the Tesla style radio it likely won't work with the higher end amplifier unless they have a way to handle what is considered a "digital" amplifier. Assuming you have the stock amplifier I would say you just need to find the wires that go to the sub woofer and connect those to one. I have a thread about the amplified subwoofer I am using. I replaced the OEM sub with a very nice aftermarket one. I would suspect your car had a subwoofer and the original owner removed it. Check your plugs for open sockets. The sub woofer should have either 2 or 4 wires. I think 4 but I don't remember. I can probably find the wire positions and colors when I get back home.

Difference between the 8 speaker and 10 speaker system for the subwoofer is that the 8 speaker system use the system amplifier to power the subwoofer. The 10 speaker system uses a speaker mounted amplifier to power the subwoofer. I believe my subwoofer is a Cerwin Vega 12" with remote controls. 300 watt amplifier and cost $300. This subwoofer has low power inputs and high power inputs. Should work with either system. If your system never had a subwoofer you may have to add wires to the harness but that is very easy to do, The amplifier should be outputting power regardless.
Thanks for the detailed response, tomorrow i will have a thorough look at my wagon, and this weekend i am going to pick up the speakers from the gentleman parting out the wagon, i will be sure to get as much of the wiring as possible.

I don't have a tesla style tablet in my car, the guy that i went to help, switched out his stock radio and nav unit to a tablet, so he still has his stock setup, he offered it to me.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Thanks for the detailed response, tomorrow i will have a thorough look at my wagon, and this weekend i am going to pick up the speakers from the gentleman parting out the wagon, i will be sure to get as much of the wiring as possible.

I don't have a tesla style tablet in my car, the guy that i went to help, switched out his stock radio and nav unit to a tablet, so he still has his stock setup, he offered it to me.
Ok, If you are getting the stock setup back then I would suggest start out by putting that back in and getting it to work.

Tryinig to change to the 10 speaker system is a big job. Imagine tearing out your whole interior and tracing down the wiring you need and that which you don't if you are going through all that trouble you won't be happy with the results. If you have the tesla radio in the car then keep it. Take a look at your amplfier and tell me if it is a 4 plug or 3 plug system. Also take a long look in your spare tire well. You SHOULD have a subwoofer in there. If not the wiring SHOULD be there. The subwoofer looks like a dougnut with wires plugged into it. .If you look at the thread I have about installing my new subwoofer you will see what the upper end version looked like. You will find it FAR less work to get the setup you have properly working than to try replacing it. I have the wiring and such to install a navigation radio. I just haven't done it yet. In MY car I have the HD radio with 10 speaker system. Should be as simple as just changing a few items and I am ready to go.

If you do decide to try installing the 10 speaker system you basically need to grab the full internal wire harness for the whole car, the center stack, the radio and the speakers... They are all different between models. This on a difficulty of 1-10 with 10 being the hardest is like an 8. And you will need to get a shop manual to be able to do it properly. To trace the wiring down and you will have to change the VIN in the radio to the car. Not saying it is impossible but for me having a 2009 at the time I looked at doing it, having 90% of the wiring I needed, all the parts and shop manual for that year It would have taken me atleast 2 weeks to do it and I have training and some experience to do this sort of thing. Actually used to hold a license to install security systems and radios.

Note: You said he had a nav unit? The nav unit is a 10 speaker system if it was an OEM pop up navigation system.I am confused about what you have.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, If you are getting the stock setup back then I would suggest start out by putting that back in and getting it to work.

Tryinig to change to the 10 speaker system is a big job. Imagine tearing out your whole interior and tracing down the wiring you need and that which you don't if you are going through all that trouble you won't be happy with the results. If you have the tesla radio in the car then keep it. Take a look at your amplfier and tell me if it is a 4 plug or 3 plug system. Also take a long look in your spare tire well. You SHOULD have a subwoofer in there. If not the wiring SHOULD be there. The subwoofer looks like a dougnut with wires plugged into it. .If you look at the thread I have about installing my new subwoofer you will see what the upper end version looked like. You will find it FAR less work to get the setup you have properly working than to try replacing it. I have the wiring and such to install a navigation radio. I just haven't done it yet. In MY car I have the HD radio with 10 speaker system. Should be as simple as just changing a few items and I am ready to go.

If you do decide to try installing the 10 speaker system you basically need to grab the full internal wire harness for the whole car, the center stack, the radio and the speakers... They are all different between models. This on a difficulty of 1-10 with 10 being the hardest is like an 8. And you will need to get a shop manual to be able to do it properly. To trace the wiring down and you will have to change the VIN in the radio to the car. Not saying it is impossible but for me having a 2009 at the time I looked at doing it, having 90% of the wiring I needed, all the parts and shop manual for that year It would have taken me atleast 2 weeks to do it and I have training and some experience to do this sort of thing. Actually used to hold a license to install security systems and radios.

Note: You said he had a nav unit? The nav unit is a 10 speaker system if it was an OEM pop up navigation system.I am confused about what you have.

I have what i would guess is the absolute base model head unit (i.e. not even the pop up screen), he has a the full pop up with nav. So i did some digging this morning and, yea i have the 3pin amp, i picked up his nav screen and radio unit. This evening i am heading over to get the speakers and subwoofer, and have a look at the wiring. So i need all the other speakers in the system from the 10speaker system? lol ...i feel an i told you so moment coming on. This may be more than i bargained for. I have retrofitted speaker upgrades before, but not entire wiring harnesses.I am guessing i need the entire interior wiring harness. I bet the stereo is electrically separate, but probably bubdled into the harness nonetheless. I was thinking/hoping the harness coming into the amp would work, and i would just have to switch the amps, and run the wiring for the rear 2 speakers and subwoofer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts