Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be the first winter where I have wheels and tires to put away till Spring. Any advice on the best way to store them?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,008 Posts
Older rubber compounds used to oxidize in storage but this is no longer a problem. Leave them in the big plastic bags that the tire outfit puts them in when they change them out and store in a cool place.

·
Registered
2004 CTS (sold), 2014 ATS
453 Posts
It's best to lay them flat so they don't 'memorize' the flat shape where they rest on the ground. Also, don't put them near any electric motors because electric motors produce ozone, which attacks rubber compounds. For example, the furnace room is not a good place because the fan's blower motor runs too much.

I put mine in my storage shed out in the back yard, and left them in the bags the tire store gave me. That way no critters will fill your tires up with nuts and sticks and crap (assuming they are unmounted).

·
Premium Member
29,008 Posts
Ozone is produced by electrical arcing. Modern AC motors have no brushes. The only motors with brushes you will find nowdays are in power tools, kitchen appliances like Salad Shooters, and some heavy industrial applications. If you aren't using your furnace room for a salad preparation area you'll probably be okay. The exception would be if you have a high voltage, static electricity, air filtration unit in the HVAC air handler in your penthouse apartment. In which case have your garage boy/valet find another place.

·
Registered
11 CTS Sport Coupe, 2000 Carrera GT3, 2013 Jetta
86 Posts
Just remember to clean them up before you store them. I spent a good hour cleaning all the brake dust off the *inside* of the rims. (Well *I* feel better they are clean on the inside - even though only I and the guy mounting my tires next spring know they are clean inside and out!)

I also cleaned up the rubber with some tire treatment to make them all shiny, (both sides).

FYI: Mine are stuck on wooden poles at the back of my garage

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hmmm, I just whipp mine out in the backyard! The tires for the Benz are unmounted, my summers for the CTS are on 20's. I figured the snow would give them great insulation against the elements (just like roots on a tree). Never caused me any issues by leaving them outside for the winter. I'd put them in bags, but a garbage bag doesnt fit a 20" tire in it...

·
Premium Member
29,008 Posts
The tire service I deal with bags the takeoff tires in special heavy duty bags with tire makers logos on them. It pays to deal with caring professionals.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
haute_heir said:
I take my own rims off the CTS - hense no tire bags... I thought you woulda been doing the same... it's a 15 min job to do yourself.
It sounds like you have an extra pair of rims. For us that don't you have to do a $50 change over w/balance. Removing a low-profile tire from a rim is not a DIY.

·
Premium Member
29,008 Posts
The outfit I deal with, does the the changeover and balance for free for the first year. Two free changes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts