Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's not caddy specific, but I figured I'd ask what would you guys use to strip 3-4 layers of paint on a car? I started sanding the trunk lid off my parts car 68 toronado and found out that it has 4 coats of paint on it (surprise!) I was using 80 grit on an electric orbital sander and it took about 1.5 hours to get about a 6x8 spot down to bare metal.

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-gal-KS-3-Premium-Stripper-GKS3/100144685

Ive been using this, its the same company that makes aircraftstripper which is slightly better.

I got a tip to place plastic over the stripper, and it does help.

Plastic gloves are far better than latex gloves.

And don't even touch the stuff without SAFETY GLASSES< a good resperator would also be preferred.

My 90 hood had 11 layers of paint, its a mess to strip to bear metal, and its not fast.

A wire brush is also helpful, Im sure when you play with the stuff you will figure it out.

·
Registered
1970 Deville Convertible
309 Posts
This is when it's more beneficial to enjoy Mustangs, Camaros or Corvettes. Much less real estate to sand. What, about a third to a half less. I love full size cars except in times like these.

What about a rougher grit (36) until you get close to the first coat of primer, then move back to 80 grit? Or you can drink beer while you sand and enjoy your time doing it...........

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-gal-KS-3-Premium-Stripper-GKS3/100144685

Ive been using this, its the same company that makes aircraftstripper which is slightly better.

I got a tip to place plastic over the stripper, and it does help.

Plastic gloves are far better than latex gloves.

And don't even touch the stuff without SAFETY GLASSES< a good resperator would also be preferred.

My 90 hood had 11 layers of paint, its a mess to strip to bear metal, and its not fast.

A wire brush is also helpful, Im sure when you play with the stuff you will figure it out.
11 layers.....that's a lot of wrecks.

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts
Rent/ buy a soda blaster. Or take it to someone to do it for you. That is if your time is worth any money. If you have nothing but free time, then sand/strip away. Some blasters come to you.

·
Registered
77 CDV, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB
10,022 Posts
Aircraft stripper is the way to go. Brush it on, let it set, then just spoon the old paint away with a spatula. Gloves, eye protection, and a respirator are strongly advised. It's powerful stuff.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
I'll second the aircraft stripper. What you save in sandpaper and time is worth the cost.
It will light you up so do it outside...

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
I've heard this recommended a lot.
Which makes me wonder...does anyone ever use aircraft stripper on aircraft?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
11 layers.....that's a lot of wrecks.
Factory sealer.
Factory primer.
Factory sealer
Factory lacquer
Repaint sealer
Repaint primer
Repaint basecoat
Repaint clear
Larrys repaint primer'
Larrys repaint lacquer bad color
Larrys repaint lacquer

Its a lot of paint.

----------

The advantage to stripper is that it doesn't damage or remove the factory "metal treating" from the metal.

You will need to seal the metal with epoxy or self etching primer.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you want to go like that, mine is
factory primer
factory sealer
factory lacquer
repaint primer
repaint lacquer
repaint primer
filler
repaint lacquer
primer
repaint lacquer

still not sure what the filler is for as the panel does not appear to be dented

----------

also, in case anyone feels like doing it inside or without respirator, DON'T. I did this outside with a dust mask and it still wasn't enough. I'd recommend a dual canister mask.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I got the hood painted and it turned out good.]

THeres no body filler whatsoever in the hood, all the imperfections were in the layers of paint.

I almost got the deck lid stripped, but it may have been replaced as I don't see any cracked lacquer, who knows, theres no repair work in the queater panels, or anywhere on the car which is a plus.

Im going too have a tremendous amount of time in the car, I don't know if its worth it or not, but if the rest of the car turns as good as the hood Ill be thrilled,.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Larry, how long did you let the stripper sit before you started scraping it off? I put it on at 9 before I left for work, got home at 6, and was able to scrape it off down to the second later of primer very easy.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Larry, how long did you let the stripper sit before you started scraping it off? I put it on at 9 before I left for work, got home at 6, and was able to scrape it off down to the second later of primer very easy.
Without plastic over it about 15 minutes, with plastic about 45 minutes. Surprised that letting it sit so long worked as once the stripper is dry the paint is hard.

Im also having to be real careful because nothing has been removed from the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts