Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 97 Cadillac Catera over the summer and it has only a tape-deck and doesn't have Bose. I am going crazy listening to all the radio stations of northern new york and need to get a cd player/changer. I went to a GM dealer and he told me that I really had no options because they only made the one type of stereo for my car(the tape deck). I am wondering if anybody knows what my options are. I would like to still be able to use the controls on the steering wheel to control the cd player if at all possible(no extra remotes). thanks for the help. :D

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
My grandparents had a 97 or 98 catera, and Im 99% positive it had a CD player......

Most cars (if they dont have a in dash CD player) are prewired for a CD player/changer.... Trick is finding where they put the wiring......

If you could find a stock head unit from a 98 I bet it would fit and match up all the harness connectors......

As far as aftermarket, I dont think any would be able to use the steering wheel controls.....

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
elwesso said:
My grandparents had a 97 or 98 catera, and Im 99% positive it had a CD player......

Most cars (if they dont have a in dash CD player) are prewired for a CD player/changer.... Trick is finding where they put the wiring......

If you could find a stock head unit from a 98 I bet it would fit and match up all the harness connectors......

As far as aftermarket, I dont think any would be able to use the steering wheel controls.....
Steering wheel controls can either be taken 1 of 3 ways. You find a way to do it yourself, you buy a kit, or you don't bother

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 97 has a CD with the changer in the trunk. The changer will hold about 6. The unit has a tape player as well.
b

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought a 12 disc CD changer off of Ebay a few months ago that came out of a '99 Camaro. It fits inside the right side of the trunk behind the door. The wiring should be there already. If you look inside the cavity around the wheel well area you should see the connector and wiring sitting on top or nearby.
I found a website that sells 'em new, but the mounting bracket and hardware are a separate item from the same site: http://www.mnrelectronics.com/delcdchan.html
They have one specifically for the Corvette/Catera, vertical mount only.

·
Registered
Shopping!
199 Posts
I have the same problem with my 1998. So I'll share with you what I have learned. I do not have the BOSE option; therefore, it is 10 times harder to find a radio. To find a headunit, you need one without the bose option. I am currently looking into a non-bose headunit from an eldorado/seville. On the CD Changer front, the wiring (if you have it) would be in the little compartment on the right side of the trunk. The wire should come out of the wheel well. If you don't see it, it isnt there. I'll try to update on what I find out. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts