Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V M6 and 2013 ATS 3.6L Premium
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a 2.0T manual today to get a feel for the car. It certainly is adequately powered and enough torque to move around town. I felt like the powerplant was holding back a little. It didn't put me back in my seat and felt a bit slower than our 3.6L under WOT. I was wondering how transformative a tune is for the car? The throttle response felt sufficient but I imagine with more boost it would feel a lot stronger. I know it's a tiny turbo, just wondering what some impressions are with simple bolt-ons/tune with the stock turbo.

·
Registered
2013 Cadllac ATS Performance 2.0 T Black Raven
58 Posts
Just my two cents only. I just received and installed my updated trifecta tune. The only other mod being a k&n drop in filter. One of my business partners has a 3.6 auto premium 2015. We both exchanged today for a drive around. His words not mine was I got the wrong engine or it needs a tune. Then this evening
we went on a little journey(if you know what I mean as each drove each other's and so forth.).
Nothing crazy just a couple guys being buds. My 2.0 auto walked the dawg I guess you could say.
Both from a stop and from cruising speed. Didn't matter who was driving either car.
He was a little bit envy to say the least.
My view is you always have people that have nicer and better and people that have much less.
Always give thanks to the lord for what he allows each of us to have and be proud for what you earn and
can give back to others. Be humble and enjoy what each day brings. You got a caddy and right there itself is a great American icon and something to enjoy. God bless.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Groomie claims his 2.0 with Trifecta tune is quicker/faster than his buddies 3.6.
"Walked the dawg" = pulled away from the other guy.
I'm guessing his envious friend will likely be considering a Trifecta tune (and a rematch) now.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0L Performance RWD
406 Posts
When I got the first beta tune for my 2.0, I had it dyno'd so everyone (including myself) could see if there was a difference. 50hp/tq is what I got. Haven't had it redone since the finalized version or the post-tsb update. Its a noticeable difference when you put your foot into it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Exactly, walk the dawg, means my car was quite a bit quicker regarding both of us driving my car. Long
term, I can't say how it will affect engine wear, but in head to head, my2.0 tuned vs his 3.6 not tuned mine had better response, pull and was considerably ahead with each of us driving each other's car and
switching back and forth. Out door temps in the 60's. I'm pretty impressed with the new trifecta tune
release after all the spark plug cadillac reprogramming. That's it in nut shell. The car is faster, be your
butt meter or better yet a 3.6 2015. Not on a drag strip, but on a every day road. IMPRESSED AND
WELL DONE. LOW END POWER IN NIGHT AND DAY.

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
If you are considering mods for the car then I would imagine the 2.0T has the most upside. It seems the 3.6 is quicker when both are stock.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V M6 and 2013 ATS 3.6L Premium
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just curious. The 3.6L is for my fiance and I'm holding onto my CTS-V for another year or so. I'm really hoping to get an ATS-V but if I can't swing one, I'll likely heavily consider the 2.0T (a manual trans is a must). I was just wondering what some impressions were with a tune. I don't see a ton of tuner support (none locally to me) so I'd much rather go with basic bolt-ons before tearing the engine down and building it. I imagine in another year or two there will be more people pushing the limits with the powerplant. I guess it's still a pretty new car and after all a luxury sports sedan.

C

·
0 Posts
There is quite a few shops tuning ATS turbo's here in Jersey they just don't advertise it due to the low interest for it so far plus they are mainly doing it because of the 6th gen Camaro.
But they are same shops that have been tuning the lsj & lnf GM's since the beginning.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0L Turbo
20 Posts
There is quite a few shops tuning ATS turbo's here in Jersey they just don't advertise it due to the low interest for it so far plus they are mainly doing it because of the 6th gen Camaro.
But they are same shops that have been tuning the lsj & lnf GM's since the beginning.
CTS Chick may I ask which shops? I'm interested in getting this done and also am from NJ. Also, did you get your ATS tuned and if so which one and how is the performance

·
Registered
NONE
58 Posts
When I got the first beta tune for my 2.0, I had it dyno'd so everyone (including myself) could see if there was a difference. 50hp/tq is what I got. Haven't had it redone since the finalized version or the post-tsb update. Its a noticeable difference when you put your foot into it.
Is it noticeable in normal driving as well? (say 1/2 or 3/4 throttle) or only under WOT?

·
Registered
ATS-V Coupe MT
1,558 Posts
idk if Groomie knows this but ill add my insight so far on the trifecta tune.

Ive been going back and forth with them on my tune and so far they have been VERY helpful and responsive. I think theyre sick of me by now, for all the special things ive asked on my calibration. BUT one thing i noticed on the tune is that it changes the throttle input/response alot. not sure if this is what most people feel when they call the car "fast" but at like 10% pedal depression, the car already feels like its in WOT. any more pedal input after that doesnt make a big difference. basically, to me it feels like there is no point to press the pedal any more than 10%.

dont get me wrong the car is definitely much faster than stock. especially since im fully catless. one of the little things i asked trifecta to modify about my tune is that very throttle input thing. ive asked for it to be more linear. im gonna flash this new calibration soon and see how it compares. but so far, with trifecta tune full floored VS stock full floored, theres a clear difference.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree 100 percent with you donavo. Sounds like we both did the same. They have been very responsive with me bothering them too. I like it.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
BUT one thing i noticed on the tune is that it changes the throttle input/response alot. not sure if this is what most people feel when they call the car "fast" but at like 10% pedal depression, the car already feels like its in WOT. any more pedal input after that doesnt make a big difference. basically, to me it feels like there is no point to press the pedal any more than 10%.
This is the problem with tunes on cars with electronic throttle control. The tuner can make the car seem faster without adding any power. Just by changing the driver demand table, the car be made to seem faster. Just for example, if the car from GM makes 100 ft-lbs at 33% throttle, the driver demand table could be changed to tell the engine to make 130 ft-lbs at 33% throttle. After that change, a driver would think, "Wow the car is much faster; it really jumps at just 1/3rd throttle," yet the maximum power of the car has not changed. The car really is no faster than before. On a mail order tune its hard to know how much part throttle gain is real or if the throttle has been recurved, or both. The turbo does have room to make more power, so a tune can add a lot to the car.

I partially recurved my car to spread out the extra power from the tune & DP. I gradually phase it in starting around 30%. So below 30% input the car behaves like stock, except to the extent it spools faster. No scary parking maneuvers for me. Above 30% the extra power slowly comes on. Most of my recurving occurs above 50%. Without some recurving, all the added power would all show up in the last 10% of throttle travel, almost like a small hit of nitrous.

A lot of people would do a faster curve to make the car seem faster. Me, I'll just move my right foot a tiny bit more and enjoy a wider range of control.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,513 Posts
I had same experience with a 2.0t but the opposite outcome with my 3.6. His car was not tuned and mine either. He could not keep up with me. This has been on 2 separate occasions now. So I would say the tune for the 2.0t is worth while if it swaps results around. He wants a rematch and hope he doesn't bring a tune with him this time. I'll have to do something.

·
Registered
POS 2.0T 3 blown motors
244 Posts
Ok my car dynoed bone stock our dyno at 211 rwhp. With just a Diablo tune it went to 258rwhp. With a k&n. Drop in filter modified stock air box and my intake & charge pipes (my pipes built very similar to what you guys can buy from TRS Fab) still just regular 93 octane diablo tune it went to 266rwhp. Then added cat less down pipe (from TRS fab, thanks Trent) and I had our tuner write a custom tune with diablosport it made 297rwhp. The potential for hp gains is a lot more with the 2.0T the tune alone makes a huge difference In the car.

For those who don't remember me or don't know me ( as I have been through several motors & planning a huge event at our shop for TX2K I haven't been on here in awhile). My car is a '14 2.0T rwd auto trans.

P.s. I be on here more soon. Some major changes coming to my car, and we have parts in production for Chris' 900+hp. 4 cyl 2.2 stroker ATS

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,513 Posts
Man don't over do it and be in the same place you were before. That would suck.

Ok my car dynoed bone stock our dyno at 211 rwhp. With just a Diablo tune it went to 258rwhp. With a k&n. Drop in filter modified stock air box and my intake & charge pipes (my pipes built very similar to what you guys can buy from TRS Fab) still just regular 93 octane diablo tune it went to 266rwhp. Then added cat less down pipe (from TRS fab, thanks Trent) and I had our tuner write a custom tune with diablosport it made 297rwhp. The potential for hp gains is a lot more with the 2.0T the tune alone makes a huge difference In the car.

For those who don't remember me or don't know me ( as I have been through several motors & planning a huge event at our shop for TX2K I haven't been on here in awhile). My car is a '14 2.0T rwd auto trans.

P.s. I be on here more soon. Some major changes coming to my car, and we have parts in production for Chris' 900+hp. 4 cyl 2.2 stroker ATS

·
Registered
NONE
58 Posts

Do you have the Dyno charts? It would be interesting to see the torque curve/powerband changes as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts