Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
No GET-RAG or GM products
637 Posts
Nope - have the Stealth Wild Power tune and a Maggie, but no pinging what so ever. The last time I filled up the tank I had a brain fart and used mid-grade gas, still no pinging.

I hate to ask, but are you using the Brand and Octane rating of gas that your tune was customized for??

GT

·
Registered
V2
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the checklist I selected that I had used 87 before but it has 93 in it right now. I listed a couple brands but sometimes I am not consistent by brands would that matter?

·
Registered
CTS-V
874 Posts
No pinging here. I run 93 octane with a maggie.

·
Registered
V2
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another thing because of the bug in the last EFI patch Rick had to send me another PCM so the crank shaft alignment is off and the check engine light is on and from what I gather the computer will not correct detonation or something like that.

I had used 87 mt last tank so I wonder if I have some left over 87 causing this problem.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Nope. Never. Nada. Must have something to do with that crank position thing. Drive her easy until Rick can take care of you :yup:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Runs some 101 with a little street blue 03 in it.. lol i used that otw to vegas... ziippeetoodoodaa all the way.. get this, that fuel seemed to last forever too... man that maggie sounded so good with that mix i did... i did 70/30 im goiong to use that at the track.. i could tell the pick up was by at least 30% stronger...

later blitzer

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
I will answer since I hope I know what you are asking (and rick explained it to me once- I hope I can repeat it correctly):

inside the PCM there is a value called the crank position sensor. This remembers the (you got it) crank position.

If you put another PCM in your car it, the "new" pcm does not know the position of the sensor. therefore, you need to go to the dealer so they plug in a computer to "teach" the PCM the crank position (FYI, efilive can also "teach the car the crank position").

However, if you send Rick our PCM (for a calibration), he reprograms the PCM, but presumably, you cannot start your car without the PCM while rick has your car, so when you get your PCM back, It still knows where the crank is.

Is that what you were asking?

Reed

·
Registered
GROO-V
2,853 Posts
FYI -- Here's the procedure...

CKP System Variation Learn Procedure
1. Install a scan tool.
2. Monitor the powertrain control module (PCM) for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information for the applicable DTC that set.
3. Select the crankshaft position (CKP) variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
4. The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:
-- A. Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT).
-- B. Release throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.
-- C. Observe fuel cut-off for applicable engine.
-- D. Engine should not accelerate beyond calibrated RPM value.
-- E. Release throttle immediately if value is exceeded.
-- F. Block drive wheels.
-- G. Set parking brake.
-- H. DO NOT apply brake pedal.
-- I. Cycle ignition from OFF to ON.
-- J. Apply and hold brake pedal.
-- K. Start and idle engine.
-- L. Turn A/C OFF.
-- M. Vehicle must remain in Park or Neutral.
-- N. The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:
• Crankshaft position (CKP) sensors activity--If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

• Camshaft position (CMP) sensor activity--If there is a CMP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

• Engine coolant temperature (ECT)--If the ECT is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.

5. Enable the CKP system variation learn procedure with a scan tool.

Important: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

6. Accelerate to WOT.
7. Release throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.
8. The scan tool displays Test In Progress.
9. The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P0315 ran and passed, the CKP variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P0315 failed or did not run, refer to DTC P0315 . If any other DTCs set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information for the applicable DTC that set.
10. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.
11. The CKP system variation learn procedure is also required when the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether DTC P0315 is set:
- An engine replacement
- A PCM replacement
- A harmonic balancer replacement
- A crankshaft replacement
- A CKP sensor replacement
- Any engine repairs which disturb the crankshaft to CKP sensor relationship

No PCM flash is required... Gotta love having to run it at WOT unloaded though...

·
Registered
V2
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Redline CTS-V said:
FYI -- Here's the procedure...

CKP System Variation Learn Procedure
1. Install a scan tool.
2. Monitor the powertrain control module (PCM) for DTCs with a scan tool. If other DTCs are set, except DTC P0315, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information for the applicable DTC that set.
3. Select the crankshaft position (CKP) variation learn procedure with a scan tool.
4. The scan tool instructs you to perform the following:
-- A. Accelerate to wide open throttle (WOT).
-- B. Release throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.
-- C. Observe fuel cut-off for applicable engine.
-- D. Engine should not accelerate beyond calibrated RPM value.
-- E. Release throttle immediately if value is exceeded.
-- F. Block drive wheels.
-- G. Set parking brake.
-- H. DO NOT apply brake pedal.
-- I. Cycle ignition from OFF to ON.
-- J. Apply and hold brake pedal.
-- K. Start and idle engine.
-- L. Turn A/C OFF.
-- M. Vehicle must remain in Park or Neutral.
-- N. The scan tool monitors certain component signals to determine if all the conditions are met to continue with the procedure. The scan tool only displays the condition that inhibits the procedure. The scan tool monitors the following components:
• Crankshaft position (CKP) sensors activity--If there is a CKP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

• Camshaft position (CMP) sensor activity--If there is a CMP sensor condition, refer to the applicable DTC that set.

• Engine coolant temperature (ECT)--If the ECT is not warm enough, idle the engine until the engine coolant temperature reaches the correct temperature.

5. Enable the CKP system variation learn procedure with a scan tool.

Important: While the learn procedure is in progress, release the throttle immediately when the engine starts to decelerate. The engine control is returned to the operator and the engine responds to throttle position after the learn procedure is complete.

6. Accelerate to WOT.
7. Release throttle when fuel cut-off occurs.
8. The scan tool displays Test In Progress.
9. The scan tool displays Learn Status: Learned this ignition. If the scan tool indicates that DTC P0315 ran and passed, the CKP variation learn procedure is complete. If the scan tool indicates DTC P0315 failed or did not run, refer to DTC P0315 . If any other DTCs set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in Vehicle DTC Information for the applicable DTC that set.
10. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds after the learn procedure is completed successfully.
11. The CKP system variation learn procedure is also required when the following service procedures have been performed, regardless of whether DTC P0315 is set:
- An engine replacement
- A PCM replacement
- A harmonic balancer replacement
- A crankshaft replacement
- A CKP sensor replacement
- Any engine repairs which disturb the crankshaft to CKP sensor relationship

No PCM flash is required... Gotta love having to run it at WOT unloaded though...
Thanks so much for posting this. What software does everyone use to accomplish this?

·
Registered
V2
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JBeechel said:
Basically, what I'm worried about is the dealer flashing my brand new Stealth-V tuned PCM for shits and giggles.
You and me both that is why I am buying another PCM and going to find out what software to use to reset the position sensor.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
CadV said:
You and me both that is why I am buying another PCM and going to find out what software to use to reset the position sensor.
If you pull the PCM & reflash with anything it looses the Crank position. You have to get the dealer to give it the Tech 2 treatment/proceedure above.
EFI live can do it but it aint worth $700 for a relearn. Go throw the local GM wrencher a $20. Takes him 2 min.

Marty

1 - 20 of 37 Posts