Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1983 eldorado
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car in question is a 1983 El Dorado. I have a three wire connector with (red/yell/grn) an odd flat plug on the end coming from my steering column. The plug part is male and looks for lack of a better term like a mitten with two of the connections on one part and the other connection kind of on its own. It has an orange cap above the male part and I cannot find out where this thing plugs in. I really do not want to disassemble the column to find out what it connects to in there so I am hoping someone knows what the H**L I'm talking about. The wires are very thin, not like the rest of the wiring under the dash and it is long enough to where it could plug in pretty much anywhere under the dash. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
a picture of it might help this smart person you are hoping will help you. Are you sure it's wires and not vacuum lines?

·
Registered
83 Eldorado Biarritz, 84 Eldorado, 92 DeVille
54 Posts
Does your cruise control work?

It sounds like the wire that goes from the cruise controls to the cruise box, it's a thin ribbon like wire right? Look for a plastic box up under your dash that is about 4" by 3" by about 1" thick, it may be blue or pink or yellow, there should be a place to plug it into there.

JayArr

·
Registered
1983 eldorado
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will shoot a pic and post soon. I think you may be right Jay, it looked like the same type wire for my cruise control on my Vette but the Vette had five wires but you hit the description on the head. I have not had this car on the road yet so I do not know if the cruise works, I drug this car out of a barn where it had been sitting for two years. The previous owner was going to send it over the scales and the car does not have a door ding or tear in the interior, I just could not let this nice of a car get destroyed and most of the things wrong are minor mechanical issues. Amen, Jay, thanks a ton for your help and I will post the pics shortly

·
Registered
83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours
469 Posts
I not sure what it powers but apon checking my own 83 I found the connection you are refering to. On mine the connector plugs into a small (1/2"x1/4"x1" black plastic female plug with 3 wires, red/blue/yellow.
I will research my manuals and see if I can figure out what it powers.
Good luck.
By the way congrats on your find. I also found a diamond in the rough buryed under a pile of shreaded leaves. everything worked and it has only 45k miles showing. After throughly cleaning it and replacing the battery I had a local Caddy dealer check the car over. They reported the overall condition (wear and tear) indicates that it very likley the milage is correct. The car is fully loaded with every option (bose, astro-roof, firemist paint, twilight & auto dimmer). The only deteration was some of the rubber was aged and has since been replaced.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
You are describing, in fact, the cruise control harness from the cruise engagement switch on the end of the turn signal lever. Should be a matching wiring harness somewhere close to the vacuum dump switch on the brake pedal support.

·
Registered
1983 eldorado
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dude, you are exactly right. I finally said I had had enough and needed to know more about the car so I completely disassembled the dash (cause it was dirty) and did some exploring. I think at one time the car had an aftermarket radio in it since there were alot of wires out of place and the harness clips were all broken or not fastened. Now the only question I have is what the heck is still making that thumping noise, lol. Everything works so I figure I will wait til something quits and then I will know for sure, lol. I am going to pull some codes tonight and see what they say. Thanks a million for the input though, you guys are irreplaceable, great bunch of guys on this forum.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Is it about 5 or 6 inches long by 1 1/2 square? If so it just might be the chimes. I was servicing the Bose stereo head unit in my 83 Eldorado just yesterday and discovered the chime module in the area left of the glove box. Sounds like something is maybe stuck or broken so as to muffle it. More than likely it’s a commonly used part in that era of Caddy's. Check out your local JY or try GM Vintage Parts.

·
Registered
1983 eldorado
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats exactly what it is, lol. I pulled it out and heard a chime and started laughing, if I shake it lightly it sounds like the door chime which would explain why it only made the noise when the drivers door was opened. It was so easy I was overthinking it but it did not seem to me a door chime would have so many wires, lol. Thanks guys for all the help

·
Registered
469 Posts
Glad to help. Remember there is a lot of things ringing that bell, ie: door open, seat belts, keys in ingition, lights on, etc.

·
Registered
1983 eldorado
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took it apart last night to see why sometimes it chimes then other times it just thumps and could find no obvious signs of trouble so I cleaned it up inside (had lot of dust) and sprayed some silicone lube on the moving parts and it seems to have made -0- difference, lol. The weird thing is it does not look like there is anything that can really go out on it, it would seem like if it is getting the electrical impulse then it would work as its supposed to but oh well, at least I know what it is and that eventually I will find a NOS on ebay and mark it off my list. I got my new bumper fills in today so that will shorten the list as well. I ordered the fronts from one company and the rears from another and man can you tell a difference. THe front set came in plastic moulded form and the rear came in fiberglass. With the car being black the rear almost did not need painting, very good finish. I will let you guys know which actually fit and the end results and I will post links then if you guys want me to.
Again guys, thanks for all the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts