Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V SOLD /// 2009 CTS-V own
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had mine on for somewhere between 1k and 2k miles now. I think it is closer to 1k miles.. Anyway I drained it yesterday for the first time and the can had 1 1/2" of oil in it. Isn't that a bit much for only around 1k miles or so, 2k miles max?
Here are a couple pics I took last night when I drained it.. Thanks..

Bill

·
Registered
827 Posts
Mine had about half that amount for the same mileage but you may be beating the cubes harder than me. I do a lot of stop and go Houston traffic for the morning commute and try to be very gentle with the clutch.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
slow35th said:
Mine had about half that amount for the same mileage but you may be beating the cubes harder than me. I do a lot of stop and go Houston traffic for the morning commute and try to be very gentle with the clutch.
Yeah, that could be as I don't drive mine all that often. So when I do I do like to drive it pretty hard.. lol I was just curious to see how much everyone else was collecting in the cans. Thanks..

Bill

·
Registered
2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer
4,860 Posts
Thanks for the reminder Bill; just went out to the garage and opened up the drain valve on the bottom of my catch can. Black crude is still coming out...

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick,
No problem my friend, glad all that crap isn't going back through my intake.
I hope the guys with the superchargers are running these catch cans, if not they should have a nice thick coat on the rotor blades by now.

PneuBird,
James is right on, Ames-CTSV had a great right up and after reading it I had to do the same.

Bill

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
Very nice piece, I like it alot;however, there should be a way to have the excess oil drain back into the case. On my bike, my crankcase breather has a one-way valve with a small drain hole that allows any blow-by to seep back in when the engine is at rest. I haven't looked at the tubing, but it would keep you guys from having to empty the can.
Ve good,
ace996

·
Registered
04 CTS-V R.I.P.
1,234 Posts
GTP said:
James, I would be down for a group buy! And i'm sure I am not the only one! Can something be arranged?

I'm down for a group buy since this has been a very expensive weekend for my V. :)

·
Alexandria, Va
Work on them all...
1,213 Posts
You guys are killing me, there is a limit to the number of group buys I can organize at once...

I do still have a service department to run... :banghead:

Kidding aside... I'll call 'em on Monday and see what I can do... :histeric:

James

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
I just re-installed mine. I used a Metric bolt 10-1.5-60mm with a washer, lock washer and a spacer. I'll post some pix tomorrow. Too damned tired tonight. It will clear the stock engine cover. Even if it has flames painted on it. :yup:

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts

·
Banned
340 Posts
CVP33 said:
Personally I would still rather have the "bolt in" solution. The stand off bracket and ease of use draining the accumulated oil makes it nice. The availability of a black unit makes it a little more "stealth" to the service department at the dealership as well.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V | 2012 CTS-V
970 Posts
I saw one guy that put tubing from the bottom of the catch can down to under the car. He was always letting it drain on the ground. Not an option I like, but I guess he really didn't want to have to drain it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts